mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "no 88-key sample"

Posted on: November 18, 2008 @ 10:48 AM
raykeyz
Total Posts:  32
Joined  11-06-2008

i just realize that there are no 88 key-sampled piano in any electronic piano or synth on yamaha.. correct me if im wrong

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 18, 2008 @ 12:14 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: no 88-key sample

Do you mean “every one of the 88 keys are sampled”, or do you mean “stretching across the 88 key range”?

If you mean “every single note of all 88 keys sampled”, the answer is correct - there are no pianos in the factory set on any Yamaha synth workstations that feature every single note of all 88 keys sampled. That would take up more memory than is available in the ROM chip.

This is also the case with other workstations, such as the Korg Triton and M3, and the Roland G and X series. 

However, I believe that the higher end Yamaha Clavinova products feature sampled pianos with all 88 notes sampled (Bad Mister or Yamaha US could confirm this). And the high end P-series pianos feature more sampled notes than the workstations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 20, 2008 @ 08:41 PM
raykeyz
Joined  11-06-2008

i think only RD series and fantom G from roland has n 88 note multi sampled piano.. i dont think it is that important coz listening to the sound i preffer the piano of the S90ES or CP300 over any synth or stage piano but i was wondering why it is not 88 note sampled? is that part of a technique to sound equal every key or is it just hard to multi sample full 88 notes?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2008 @ 07:57 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

No - it is not “hard” to sample all 88 keys, but the amount of
space for samples in the “chip” in the Motif is limited, and so
they have to cut down the size of megabytes for each instrument,
including the piano.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2008 @ 01:34 AM
raykeyz
Joined  11-06-2008

i see, i guess thats fine with synths but what about a stage piano? i think they deserve to be 88 note sampled.. but it doesnt matter just my idea.. thanks anyway

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 06:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It is definitely not necessary (obviously) to sample every note to have a great sounding piano. You actually get better results concentrating on notes played most often… The lowest A on the piano, for example, is hit in earnest in about two musical compositions, both by Rachmanioff /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= and the A# just above in even less!

Yamaha does not like to reveal all the secrets about how it samples… but we like it when our competition thinks that doing it as they are, is what they should be doing. Makes good print, and not necessarily a great piano sound, as you yourself have noted. In other words: it does not guarantee the best results!

As a piano manufacturer for more than 108 years gives Yamaha a slight edge in not only piano building but in analyzing what makes a good digital piano (Yamaha introduced the Clavinova digital pianos in 1983 - same year the DX7 hit the market). So analysis of pianos and piano waveforms is something is of very great importance at the company… (’nuff said).

However, if you want a peek behind some of the technology involved you can take a quick tour here (check out the CP300):
Yamaha Digital Piano Video Tour

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2008 @ 09:00 AM
xyzzyx
Total Posts:  132
Joined  12-08-2005

“The lowest A on the piano, for example, is hit in earnest in about two musical compositions, both by Rachmanioff”

One of them is the 3rd piano concerto in Dm (the “difficult” version of the cadenza). The other, well i don’t know…

—Julien

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2008 @ 06:01 AM
xyzzyx
Total Posts:  132
Joined  12-08-2005

Oh, there is also Grieg’s piano concerto in A minor (beginning).

—Julien

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Does anyone play Prince’s "When Doves Cry"
Next Topic:

mixing voice’s ››