mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Crap… Have to rebuild my system…"

Posted on: November 18, 2008 @ 07:34 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I have my DAW running Vista, but it’s giving me more fits than pleasure, so I’m considering wiping the whole thing and loading XP.

Question:  Does anyone know if Cakewalk (Producer 7) stores all of its customizations in one place so I can back them up?  I’ve tweaked a lot of stuff, and created automation from my KSP88, and I don’t want to re-do it.  Just wondering if all those things are stored in a particular folder I can copy off.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 19, 2008 @ 06:04 AM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: Crap… Have to rebuild my system...

I’m learning more crap that I wish I had to right now…

First, I answered my own questions…

Most of Cakewalk’s settings were in a directory called “Float/Cakewalk Settings/...” There were over 3000 files in there, tiny (the total was about 60 meg).

The Projects were in my Documents folder under Cakewalk Projects.

So, I wiped the hard drive, did a fresh install of vista, problem still there.

Wiped the HD again, did a fresh install of XP, problem STILL THERE.

Wipled the HD AGAIN, did a fresh install of Fedora Linux (Core 5).  Well well.  Problem still THERE.

Problem:  Firewire devices hop on and off the bus of their own free will.  Apparent problem:  An outboard Firewire card (Tried both PCI and PCI-Express flavors) doesn’t remedy the situation.  I think the PCI Bridge is doing something flaky; running a PCI Bus Diagnostics tool just crashes the PC (apparently the PCI bus is THAT unstable.)

Checked ACER Tech Support:  They say, take it back to Best Buy and depot your PC there for hardware repairs.  Best Buy says it might take 6 weeks to 2 months.  EEEEK!

Called Acer Tech Support back this AM; they’re overnighting me a new motherboard so I can do it myself.  I sure hope this gets resolved this week…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 22, 2008 @ 09:50 PM
Astral
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  01-26-2007

What you mean- jumping on and off the bus? You mean- here it is here, here it is not? Just curious. You went real far with wiping your windows.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 06:25 AM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

Exactly that...By BUS, I mean the Firewire bus.  I can sit there with the Hardware/Device Manager tree showing; the Firewire 410 shows up in the Sound, Video & Game controllers subtree.  If there’s any kind of hardware change (like, for example, plugging in a USB device), the whole tree will refresh.

So, I’ll just sit there and watch it refresh ..  GONE.  No longer there.  Then a few seconds later ..  refresh ; Voila ...  It’s back.  Then Gone, Then Back.... etc. etc.

Same thing if I open the “Sounds & Audio Devices” app in Control Panel (or the Vista analog to that...) The 410 will show up there, with all the possible outputs (there are six of them).

Then, POOF… “No Audio Devices Present.” Then POOF… it’s back… etc. etc…

This isn’t a CAKEWALK problem; Cakewalk can only do what Windows is telling it to do…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 01:13 PM
Astral
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  01-26-2007

Not much help, just trying to be there for ya, saying, “I hear ya, man”. But- um… try to power all your devices before you power comuter on, and then do not plug/unplug anything. Just a thought.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Assigning Outputs in Sonar
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››