mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie to Motif Es need help badly"

Posted on: November 17, 2008 @ 09:23 AM
shyleshcharles
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-08-2006

1. why is that I am able to use the arpeggio function only in the
first track and not in any other track? For Example: I would want
a guitar arpeggio in track 1 and a bass arppegio in track 2. and
the in track 3 I play something else. How do I set it?

2. In USR2 the first tone is “Vanilla” I set this tone in track first on
my song but when I try to set an arpeggio to it I am not able to
get the beat along with it. why?

3. In performance mode I know how to mix different tones but how
do I bring those mixed tone to my songs first track. For Example
I set Piano + Strings then how do I set this tone in the first track
of My SONG?

4. In pattern mode I play a rhythm and I want it to loop for lets say
001 - 008 and then I want some other rhythm to be recorded
from 009 - 016 and after that I want the first rhythm. How do I do
this. Can someone tell me step by step.

Thanks in advance for the answer
shylesh charles

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2008 @ 10:43 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Re: Newbie to Motif Es need help badly

First off, welcome to the Forum. I can relate to your eagerness to “get things going”,but I suggest that you take a deep breath and then, take a few minutes to examine some fo the tools here in Motifator that will help you get a better handle on things.

BEHIND THE MANUAL CLASSIC Though written for the Motif Classic,the Power User Guides will help you understand some of the fundamental nature of the ES.

BEHIND THE MANUAL ES These Power User Guides will help you to understand some of the features and methods of execution in the ES.

The first thing you may want to get into is the “language” and the definitions for this workstation. The Classic will help you do that. There is also a guide for Arpeggios and how they work. You will need to understand that. How Performances go into a MIX (Pattern or Song) and what happens when this happens.

You may feel that it will slow down your progress, but with the understanding after going over the guides, it will be easier not only for us to address your issue, but for “you” to understand what we’re talking about and what you are actually doing.

Check these guides out and post back. Someone else may chime in with direct answers to your questions in the meantime. But don’t overlook the Behind the Manual Power User Guides.
Just a thought....good luck

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2008 @ 07:39 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Dukester is giving you good advice. Many of the questions you have will be answered by a read through of some of the articles you find in the Behind the Manual section.

1. why is that I am able to use the arpeggio function only in the first track and not in any other track? For Example: I would want a guitar arpeggio in track 1 and a bass arppegio in track 2. and the in track 3 I play something else. How do I set it?

The Motif ES has only one arpeggiator. If you want to use to record, you can record the output of the arpeggiator to the sequencer track. Once you do this you can assign it to the next track and record the output of the arpeggiator to the second track, and so on. In this many you can use the arpeggiator as many times as you need.

From SONG or PATTERN mode
Press RECORD to view the Record Setup screen
Press [F2] VOICE - here you can select a VOICE to work with
Press [F3] ARP - here you can select an ARP to assign to this Voice
Press [F4] REC ARP - here you can set the sequencer to record the Output of the Arpeggio.

2. In USR2 the first tone is “Vanilla” I set this tone in track first on my song but when I try to set an arpeggio to it I am not able to get the beat along with it. why?

Not sure what you mean here. The Vanilla Voice is a special kind of arpeggio Voice with a rather unique Key Mode. But I’m not exactly sure what you mean.

3. In performance mode I know how to mix different tones but how do I bring those mixed tone to my songs first track. For Example I set Piano + Strings then how do I set this tone in the first track of My SONG?

A PERFORMANCE is different from a VOICE, in that you place multiple (as many as four) Voices into PARTS. Until you understand the function of the PART it may be confusing.

PART parameters allow you address Voices. If you have a PERFORMANCE with Piano in PART 1 and Strings in PART 2, then you can play them both in a PERFORMANCE. Significantly both Parts are addressed on a single MIDI channel

When you go the Sequencer you have 16 PARTS - each PART is initially on a different MIDI channel 1 - 16. If you want to play Piano (Part 1) and Strings (Part 2) you simply place both PARTS on the same MIDI channel

From SONG or PATTERN Mode
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select [1] to view PART parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] MODE
Here you can set the MIDI Receive channel of each PART>
Initially you can see the first four PARTS, assigned to 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively. If you set PART 2 to MIDI Channel 1, then when you play TRACK 1 you will hear both the Piano and the Strings. Make sense. You can stack as many PARTS on a single MIDI channel as you dare (careful though it can get really silly very fast)…

But a PART in a SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING setup can be set to any MIDI channel as you require. If you set PART 2 = MIDI CHANNEL 1, then when you select TRACK 1 you will hear both PARTS 1 and 2 together.

4. In pattern mode I play a rhythm and I want it to loop for lets say 001 - 008 and then I want some other rhythm to be recorded from 009 - 016 and after that I want the first rhythm. How do I do this. Can someone tell me step by step.

Sorry, this is not clear to me. In general you can make PATTERN phrases of any length up to 256 measures. You can APPEND phrases (that is, copy on Phrase to the end of another) ... please see the Owner’s Manual for PATTERN Mode Jobs… particularly APPEND Phrase. That may help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2008 @ 10:25 PM
bird
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-14-2008

Though it is in Song mode I hope this might answer your question # 4
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgkdd-bghYY&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgkdd-bghYY&feature=related [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Newbie with 10 basic kinda question (motif es7)
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››