mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MM6 compares with Clavinova??"

Posted on: November 16, 2008 @ 09:18 PM
mm6
Total Posts:  182
Joined  11-16-2008

How does the MM6 compare with the Clavinova?  The Yamaha Clavinonas also provides styles and acoompaniments (bass, drums, etc) to the left hand chords being played.

MM6 has the Patterns and Arpeggiator.  How do these compare to the Clavinova accompaniment features?  Are they essentially the same thing?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 21, 2008 @ 12:46 PM
squeak_D
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-24-2005

Re: MM6 compares with Clavinova??

I wouldn’t even begin to compare these two instruments.  The MM6 has something in common with the Clav’s and that’s the auto accomp feature.  The patterns on the MM6 aren’t really “patterns”.  They’re nothing more than preset styles..., and calling them patterns is just the “word game” Yamaha played here.  Even though the MM6 really is an arranger keyboard made in the PSR factory.., Yamaha doesn’t seem to want it to be associated with the arranger line at all.

The styles on the MM6 are quite limited when you compare them to Yamaha’s other arrangers.  With the MM6 you’re going to find a lack of intros, endings, ect.  The board has “fewer” style controls.., nor will it allow you to create user styles from scratch (their new low end PSR-S550 will let you do this though)…

Also the MM6 is a Motif Flavored instrument.  The styles on this unit (although limited in sections) are greared more towards modern styles of music.  You’re not going to find the classic big band, jazz, waltzes, and other more traditional styles you see on arrangers inside the MM6.  This board is designed to appeal to those who are looking for a more “modern” set of auto accomp. 

The MM6 isn’t a bad keyboard.  It def has its shortcomings, but one thing the MM6 does do well is make a great add on keyboard to an existing set up.  If you’re looking to this unit for “workstation” or “Clavinova” type features..., you may want to look for another option.

If you’re into the arranger thing.., and are looking for those types of styles you’d find on a Clavinova but don’t have the money to buy a Clavinova.., I “strongly suggest” you have a look at the new Yamaha PSR-S550.  It replaces the S500, but adds some really great features..  It’ll have those Clavinova type styles you’re looking for.., give you 64 note poly, same screen as the MM6, 16 trk seq (which the MM6 doesn’t even have), and a HUGE advantage is a style creator.  It’ll let you create your own custom styles from scratch.  Yamaha has a winner in the S-550 in my opinion.  I think they’ll sell a lot of those.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2008 @ 10:03 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Clavinovas are very, very different from the MM6 (and not just in the thousands of dollars difference). The “STYLES” you find in a Clavinova type arranger are complete rhythm sections with up to 8 instruments active.
Typically:
Channel 9 is a percussion Part
Channel 10 is a drum kit Part
Channel 11 is bass
Channel 12 and 13 are rhythmic chordal Parts (guitars, for example)
Channel 14 is reserved for sustain choral Parts (pads, strings, for exaple)
Channel 15 and 16 is reserved for riffs and phrases (during fill-ins and breaks, etc.)

There is sophisicated chord recognition algortihms to control this rhythm section + backing band which is accomplished in a virtual United Nations of musical genres. So a STYLE is a very, very complex thing.

The Patterns you find in the MM6 are basically drum patterns, or drum patterns plus bass and in some instances drums, bass and chords… not much more than that. These are not “styles” (when you actually understand how an arranger keyboard is referring to the word Styles)… these are basically patterns that you play along with. The MM6 has Patterns and Arpeggios…

The MM6 is designed with a “best-of” sound set from the original Motif sound engine, making it the hippest sounding keyboard under a thousand dollars, and that you can hear for yourself. That is what the MM6 is all about - is its sound. If you need a lightweight, highly portable, great sounding keyboard to throw under your arm and take somewhere, you can’t beat the MM6 with a baseball bat.

If you cannot hear the difference between the MM6 and other PSR keyboards, then you really need to have your hearing checked, in my opinion, or you simply have not heard one up close and personal - the sonic difference is that big. Those that misunderstand the MM6 are probably discounting how great it sounds. (Which, by the way, makes it one of the best selling keyboards around)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2008 @ 06:05 PM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Re:
“If you need a lightweight, highly portable, great sounding keyboard to throw under your arm and take somewhere, you can’t beat the MM6 with a baseball bat.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again BM, you should be heading up Yamaha’s truth in advertising section.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 02:53 AM
phreaque_modi
Total Posts:  679
Joined  02-12-2006

The arranger section is the same, but there’re differents between MM6 & Clavis in general, The clavis don’t have pitch wheel, modulation wheel, arpeggios etc. High grade Clavis support features such as iAFC thechnology (short for Instrumental Acoustic Field Control)…
You need to check them in your local store with no doubt…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 04:54 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

I thought the Yammie Clavs let you assign pitchbend to one of the pedals.....  Don’t they also do this with the CVP series too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 05:29 AM
mm6
Total Posts:  182
Joined  11-16-2008

Yes.  I think the Clavis allow assignment of pitch bend and modulation to one of the pedals.

Since the Clavis are much more expensive, does it mean that the “styles” are better than the MM6’s patterns?

The MM6 patterns provide only bass and drums backing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 08:27 AM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Look.., with all do respect to BadMister… These “patterns” in the MM6 “are styles”.  However, these styles (as BadMister has pointed out) aren’t as full featured as you’d find on a Clav.  Such has having multiple parts like Drum, Perc, Bass, Pad, Chord, ect all in one style. 

Yamaha has done EVERYTHING they can since the MM lines release to make sure it’s not associated with the PSR line of arranger keyboards.. Even though it’s made in the PSR arranger keyboard factory..  Again.., with all do respect to BM.., YES there are some PSR sounds within the MM6 voice set..., and the entire sound set isn’t taken from the Motif Classic either.  Sure.., some of the sounds are like the Motif Classic, but there are some PSR sounds in there.  (it’s not a bad thing having a few of those PSR sounds either.., but I think it’s very misleading to produce a keyboard.., call it a Mini Motif with Motif Flavored sounds.., then produce the bloody thing in the PSR arranger factory.., add STYLES (althought not as full as a typcial arranger in the sections and parts)....  Add the auto accomp feature with multiple variations and the auto fill.., and then list this under their synth section with the Motif line)....  Anyone ever notice that Intro and Ending is missing on the MM line.  Those two parts of a style are dead give-a-way to an arranger keyboard.  The MM does however have multiple variations and fill.

The styles on the MM6 are limited in the typical style sections you’d find on say a Clav, Tyros, or PSR-S900 and as stated may only be a few parts.., but regardless these are styles and they use the auto accomp feature too.  The MM6’s chord recognition may not be up to par with the Clavs and other arrangers as well.

Yamaha will go on and on here claiming how great the sales are on this keyboard, but what they seem to forget about is the members here who sold keyboards for a living, and who still work on the side demoing keyboards for local shops.  They’re not seeing the number of pissed off customers who ordered one of these things., then showing back up within the return period to get rid of it because they were pissed off they just bought an arranger keyboard. 

Sure.., some newbies out there may not mind this.  However, there are many semi and pro musicians out there who looked at the MM6 to add another flavor to their current set up..., who are seasoned players and not newbies and regardless of how something is “packaged and advertised” can spot an arranger keyboard with ease.

Now I talk a lot of crap on the MM6 at times.  Mainly because of how Yamaha played the adverstising and marketing game here with the MM line.  Yamaha’s not stupid and they know there are some serious negative views out there about arranger keyboards and the use of auto accomp.  You mention arranger to some di-hard synth players out there an they’ll run the other way. 

I’ll say this.., The MM6 “IS NOT” a bad keyboard.  It’s actually a VERY nice little keyboard in my opinion.  The sounds aren’t bad.., they’re quite good and do favor the Motif Classic.  It’s a speakerless arranger and that really cuts down on the weight which makes it great to just throw under an arm and head out the door.  If you want to add some nice Motif flavored sounds to your set up.., it’s def a good and cheaper way to go.  You’re not going to get real indepth voice editing, or a full featured sequencer, but you’ll get a nice little board with some good sounds.

As long as you understand what the MM6 is before you buy one.., then all should be well.  Many people today have to buy a keyboard sight unseen as there are no shops within a reasonable driving distance for them to try one out.., and internet demos can only take you so far.  My advice (from someone who has been playing for nearly 30 years and sold keyboards for a living at one time) the MOST beneficial thing available to a potential buyer today is the ability to read the ONLINE MANUAL before buying.  This is VERY helpful.., and could save you a lot of money and heartaches down the road.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ problems recording in pattern mode
Next Topic:

Key action for MM6 ››