mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "guitarist with editor questions"

Posted on: November 15, 2008 @ 09:33 PM
smilero
Total Posts:  6
Joined  11-06-2008

I’m a new user of the Motif XS rack. I use it with an Axon MKII guitar/midi converter. The Axon outputs 6 midi channels, one for each string, so I want to be able to use the multi setups. I’m having a problem with setting up the multi’s in the editor. In voice mode, I set up a voice with various parameters and effects, then saved the modified voice to USR 1: 001. Then I opened a multi and added my modified voice into the first 6 channels. The problem is.. the only thing that loads are the voice waveforms. None of the parameters (EQ setting, volume settings, effects etc.) follows the voice into the multi. All the original parameters of the multi stay as they were. Is there any way to get all of the parameters of a saved user voice to load into the multi, or do I have to reset all my settings by hand for the 6 voices. Thanks for any replies..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2008 @ 09:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: guitarist with editor questions

Quite naturally when a Voice is placed in a MULTI setup some of the parameters are changed. For example, the EQ you do in VOICE mode is for when the Voice is played by itself, it is highly unlikely that that EQ will be the right thing when you place it in with 15 other instruments. Same is true with Volume… naturally in VOICE mode the sound is the only one playing so its volume is what it is… when you place it in with 15 other instruments, naturally it is brought down to a default volume of 100 so that you can raise or lower it to blend with the other instruments.

Each PART of a MULTI has its own 3-part EQ which you set according to its surroundings. Same is true for Volume each PART has its own Volume slider with you set according to the surrounding instrumentation.

However, if you have applied arpeggios, or changed filter settings, or envelopes, or the PB range, etc. these parameters can be selected to follow the VOICE to a Multi or not. As you can imagine with 16 Voices in a MULTI not every Voice can come into the Multi and bring its baggage… imagine 16 Voices each with different arpeggios - how will the Rack XS know which ones you want to use? So certain parameters are stripped off when a Voice is placed in a PART in a MULTI.

This also allows the same Voice to be used differently in multiple songs. So PART parameters are applied to the Voice separately… if you want to recall some settings you made in Voice mode, you can.

There is a parameter that you will want to activate in the MIXING setup before selecting the VOICE for a PART.

This parameter is called (appropriately enough): “Parameter with Voice” and what it does is it copies the following items from VOICE mode into the PART that will contain it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Param. with Voice (Parameter with Voice)
Determines whether or not the following parameter settings of the selected Voice are copied from the Voice to the current Part when you change a Voice for the current Part individually.
• Arpeggio settings
• Filter Cutoff Frequency
• Filter Resonance
• Amplitude EG
• Filter EG
• Pitch Bend Range (Upper/Lower)
• Note Shift

Note: Regardless of the Parameter with Voice setting, the following settings are always copied when a Normal Voice is selected: Mono/Poly, Porta Sw (Portamento Part Switch), Porta Time (Portamento Time) and Porta Mode (Portamento Mode).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will find the “Parameter with Voice” in the Editor in the COMMON Edit > General screen in the top panel at the far right (circled in red below:

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/427320-Param%20wVoice.JPG

Mark this so it is aquamarine and then select your VOICE, it will be brought in to the MULTI with all the attributes outlined above.

The PART EQ is saved with the MULTI (the Voice’s own EQ is zeroed out as explained above)
The System Effects as programmed in Voice mode are shared by all 16 PARTS.
The Insertion Effects can be activated for any 8 PARTS - the 8 selected Parts will recall their 2 Insertion Effects from Voice mode.

In the Motif-Rack XS front panel this parameter is found in a MULTI:
Press [EDIT]
Select the PART 1-16
Select VOICE
On the VOICE screen it is the third parameter right under the Bank and Number.
You set “Parameter with Voice” = ON
Then cursor up and select the Bank and Number and it will come into the MULTI with its Voice mode assignments. 

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
smilero
Total Posts:  6
Joined  11-06-2008

Yes, thank you. That’s an excellent description of how a multi works. I have a much better idea of how it acts now. Being able to pull out the Part menu from the right side of the editor was a little confusing. I was changing the insert effects from there and couldn’t figure out why it wouldn’t sync to the unit. I now see the inserts are part of the voice and not the multi. The “parameter with voice” switch works great also. Appreciate the reply..

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 17, 2008 @ 05:38 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, Insertion Effects are part of the VOICE data itself. Think of it as the effect processors that the individual musician brings from home to the studio. “Home” is VOICE mode, and the “studio” is the MULTI.

A guitar player has a wah-wah pedal and a distortion box. The analogy of Insertion Effects works perfectly here. The guitar is inserted directly into the wah-wah, and then signal goes to the distortion, then the signal goes on to the studio’s console.

This is the perfect example of insertion effects, the musician has real time control over those effects. (Insertion Effects in the Motif Rack XS can be assigned real time controllers within the Voice’s Control Set). No one else is going to plug into the guitar players wah-wah, or distrotion, they are inserted “in-line” with the guitar signal.

On the other hand the Reverb processor and Chorus processor are the studio’s effects, called SYSTEM EFFECTS (these belong to the Multi) all PARTS of the MULTI share them… much like the aux send bus on a mixing console allows all input channels to share the studio’s effects via a SEND/RETURN setup; each channel has a send amount control that the engineer can determine: how much of the gutiar signal versus how much of the piano goes to the reverb via each channels SEND control. The RETURN is a stereo mix after the effect and is mixed with the monitor signal.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 3 factory banks of multies.
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››