mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Newbie with 10 basic kinda question (motif es7)"

Posted on: November 14, 2008 @ 01:28 AM
shyleshcharles
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-08-2006

Hi all,

Guys am very new to this music stuff. I just bought a Motif es7 workstation. I have lot of questions and if someone would answer, would be of much help.

Thanks in advance.

1. I want to buy a smart media card. Is there a particular brand or
type for which goes with motif es?

2. I want to buy a music production software. which one of these
softwares work well with motif es CAKEWALK OR CUBASE?

3. Could someone tell me what are the system requirements for
these two types of software. I mean what kinda Soundcard,
memory, and what other kind of slots I will need.

4. I am planning to make music at home. will a music software
(like cakewalk) installed in my computer is enough?

5. If I buy cakewalk or cubase which version of software is good
and advanced?

6. Do I need some kinda interface equipment?

7. What is the model of DIMM memory I require to install in my
keyboard?

8. Does any of these software (cubase or cakewalk) has inbuilt
rhythms which I could choose to add in my music.

9. what kinda sound card I should install in my computer so that its
compatible with motif es as well as works with the music
software.?

10. what are midi cables, do I need it, how and where do I use it.

Guys I know its many questions. But please have mercy on me and answer I have no one to help me.

Thanks
jones

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2008 @ 03:07 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Re: Newbie with 10 basic kinda question (motif es7)

I’ll try to briefly answer your questions.

1) Smart media card is a must for OS upgrade, but it is too expensive since it is not manufactured any more. The cheapest sollution is to buy SmartMedia to xD converter (about $8) and to buy xD cards. But, you should buy 128Mb xD card, since this is limit of SM reader implemented in Motif.
2) Both will be OK. I’m using Cubase SX 3.11 and it is well suited for Motif (you have some project files and add-ons on Mofimart for free).
3) It depends on computer you are using. I’m using Laptop with 1Gb memory, running on 2GHz. I have worked also under 512Mb, but more memory is a must especially if you work with lot of audio or samples.
4) Yes, for instance Cubase will satisfy
5) Cubase SX 3.11 is still very good, but you have newer version 4 (with new Yamaha synths XS and some other equipment you will obtain Cubase AI 4 - special version). I prefere 3.11 because it is better suited for ES.
6) Yes, since integrated sound cards are not intended for music production due to high latency (time response between you press the key on synth and you hear the sound). You could use almost any sound card that is equiped with ASIO driver. I’m using SoundBlaster AZ - PCMCIA card for laptop.
You could also consider some external interface like USB or Firewire card, or much better (my choice for near future) mLAN expansion for your ES. In that case you will only need to have Firewire port on your computer (other computer requirements still remains).
7) SDRAM PC133 168pin. Maximum is 2x256Mb. Someone on this forum stated that they put 2x512Mb, but please read your Owner’s manual carefully (page 289).
8) You have already built rythms in your ES (see list of preset phrases in DataList page 56). You could also tweek these both in Motif using Remix option, or in Cubase. You also have a large MIDI library you could find on Internet (check Motifmart for Twiddly Bits collection).
9) The answer I already gave you under 6).
10) For communication between computer and ES you will only need one USB cable (USB A-B). With this cable you could transmit 8 ports with 16 MIDI channels (128 at all). Other MIDI cables (5pin) you will use only if you have another keyboard or tone module.

I hope that it would be enough for start, I know that you are inpatience to immediately start with music.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 14, 2008 @ 07:16 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Re: Newbie with 10 basic kinda question (motif es7)

7) 2 * 512Mb will surely work, but it is very much regarding the
slow USB drive on an ES.
If you want to load only some libraries 2 * 128Mb might be enough.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Accordion Sounds
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››