mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase & arpeggio"

Posted on: November 13, 2008 @ 05:59 PM
cheetah74
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-10-2008

How, please tell me, how can I record voices with arpeggio on Cubase (multitrack). Any time I play it back they have no arp “on them”.
If this question is stupid, laugh, but please answer.
Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 15, 2008 @ 08:07 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Cubase & arpeggio

There are no stupid questions… My teacher used to say: “The only stupid question is the one you never ask.”

Here is why you are not seeing the arpeggio data. MIDI keyboards are designed so that when you press the keys the note-on information is sent out the MIDI OUT jack (be it the five pin MIDI jack or the USB-MIDI jack). So it is completely a normal situation that the notes you play (let’s call them the trigger notes) are the ones that go OUT via MIDI.

It is the special case when you want to transmit the output of the arpeggiator to the MIDI OUT jack… so you will have to select which is being sent. Either your trigger notes or the output of the arpeggio. Make sense.

Recording the output of the arpeggiator is no simple task and is definitely the source of many questions. On a scale of 1 to 10, this operation is a 8.5

The reason is because first you have to establish clock sync between your DAW (Cubase) and the MO. Set Cubase as the Master clock and set the MO to slave to it.

Next you need to set, as we mentioned, the MO to transmit the arpeggio OUT via MIDI instead of the trigger notes. THis parameter is found in the ARP parameters:
If you are in SONG or PATTERN mode for example:
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON] a/k/a the DrumKits/Favorites button
press [F3] ARP
Press [SF4] OUT CH
Here you will fine the ARP TRANSMIT ON switch and the MIDI channel it will be transmitted on.

But typcially when you record to Cubase you are recording the normal trigger notes, and have Local Control set to OFF… and Cubase echoes the data back to the MO’s tone engine… but if you do that, then the arpeggio output is not collected by the DAW (Cubase). Hmmm

So you have to set Local Control to ON… Now if you do that then there is going to be a MIDI loop… (see why this is not a stupid question but a very involved process?)… so you must set Cubase to not echo the incoming arpeggio data back to the MO because then you will be arpeggiating the arpeggio data…

Also you have to have a way to prevent the DAW (Cubase) from recording your original key presses (the trigger notes)… because you only want it to record the output of the arpeggio.

Now all that said, you can see it is a deep process. But the engineers at Yamaha give you much, much (much) easier way to do all of this:
Simply record the arpeggio to the MO’s own sequencer This is easily done with a simple setting.
Setup the PART in the MO sequencer with the arpeggio active
Press [RECORD] to see the Record SETUP screen
Press [F3] ARP to verify your arpeggio selection
Press [F4] REC ARP to turn Record Arpeggio to ON
Press Play - and record your arpeggio output to the tracks of the MO sequencer.

Then once it is recorded to a track of the MO, you can simply transfer it over to Cubase… without all the muss and fuss. That is the easiest way, trust me.

But many people like doing it the hard way so we provided a step-by-step article that can be found in the Behind the Manual section of the MO6/MO8 HOME PAGE

Although written originally for the Motif ES it applies to the MO:

Phrase Factory Tips and Tricks: Recording the arpeggios to Cubase

If you get stuck post back here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2008 @ 07:37 PM
cheetah74
Joined  11-10-2008

Bad Mister, there is a reason, for that Guru under your nick.
Thank You!
Now, a cosmetic detail (I hope).
When I am at the point where I verify arpeggio selection and I choose the same arp ‘number’ like in Voice selection, it sounds different than in ‘Voice’ position.
Example - say I want a nice rock guitar, I found one, I like its arpeggio. Now I switch to a pattern mode, follow the steps you showed me (the easier way...), apply the same arpeggio and ... well, it is not the same. I understand there is a lot of parameters I can play with to get this same, exact arpeggio. But I presume there is a shortcut: a possibility of copying the arpeggio from a Voice mode, am I right? Please, help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 23, 2008 @ 05:14 PM
cheetah74
Joined  11-10-2008

I’am answering myself, that’s lame…
Well, everybody, I solved the above problem.

Now there is another one: say on track 1, I’ve got a guitar with arpeggio. On track 2, I want to put bass with different arpeggio. When I record it, track 1 ( guitar) plays using the arpeggio from track 2.
Anybody?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 08:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There is only one arpeggiator in the MO. That is why the MO has the ability to record the output of the arpeggiator to a Track of the sequencer. Once you do that you can then reassign the arpeggiator to the next Part and use it in this fashion as many times as you need.

Press [RECORD]
The Record Setup screen will appear
Press [F2] To select the VOICE and set its attributes
Press [F3] ARP to select an arpeggio for the current PART. Here you will find the PART SW (Part Switch)… the ARP PART SW can be active on only one PART at a time. When you activate it on a track, it will be turned off for all others.
Press [F4] REC ARP to set the Record Arpeggio function to ON… this will, in real time, allow you to record the output of the arpeggio to the track.

Now you are free to re-assign the arpeggio to the next track.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 25, 2008 @ 04:14 PM
cheetah74
Joined  11-10-2008

I’VE GOT IT!
And it works and edits on my cubase, ha, ha!
Thank you Bad Mister, thank you all!

until next problem.....

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Problem recording in pattern
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››