mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "We do not want new updates, we just need them…."

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 07:27 AM
Ted
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-24-2003

I am not complaining at all. But I have some subjection too, which would work for most of us, I think. I own Motif 7 for 7 month now. Still like it.

By videos we were pointer to Motifator.com for more info. And updates. And I like this web site a lot. Reading every comment that came from us, gave a good idea for Yamaha to design a new Motif ES. And I never complained in my comments. I’ve been learning from everybody.

Again, it makes the business profitable when the customer is successful. We all like new ES and would like to stick with it in the future.

There is only one part that I really hate that Yamaha never mentioned that they are already building a new syns ,and maybe that is Japan ice policy to do the business. They can do whatever they want. It is their business.  Many of you guys did a good supportive job for us to get to know Motif better. It helped me a lot. Thanks.

I want to lead you to the thing that it is our problem to sell our Motifs ourselves now. All those discounts are chip for me. I don’t need 2 Motifs in my studio.

I’m pretty sure that Motif ES still not the best thing in the world, because Korg and Roland have very nice products too.

I know that we cannot change the business world, but we can make the difference.
If I were Yamaha, I would listen to every single suggestion.

Example: the computer industry is a way far now. 3GHZ PROCESSORS; 3GHZ RAM is servers. SCSI is so fast today. The system boards buss speed is way faster.

What I am trying to say: YAMAHA doesn’t want to jump faster to make better equipment. They do it slowly and ad just a little bit. Then next year a bit more. Then next year a bit more. Then next year a bit more. Then next year a bit more. Then next year a bit more…… WITHOUT communication with anybody.

People get paid for their ideas.  We spent more then $2000 and gave Yamaha our ideas free, just free.
I am not complaining still. But this is the fact.

Now, there won’t be any OS updates for Motif 6,7,8; at all. It’ll discontinue from production line like Yamaha 9000Pro. Lets say some one is buying our Motifs, what about them reading all comments and complains from Motifator.com.

YAMAHA PLEASE STICK WITH OPERATION SYSTEM UPDATES FOR MO 6,7,8; we wont be able to sell them and they are pretty new. We want to use them for a while. We just simply ask you for MORE OS UPDATES. We cannot ad more hardware, but we might change staff like reading any type of files on the Motif. Create files with most common file extensions names.  Instead of using additional software for file conversion.

Thanks for your time reading this.

Ted

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 08:14 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: We do not want new updates, we just need them

Ted, I empathize with you. But if you look at the computer technology industry as a whole, updates for older systems are not standard operating procedure. And if I owned a hi-tech company, I wouldn’t bother with them either. There are two reasons for this.

One, it costs money and resources to continue to serve an older system and that customer base and takes that money and resources away from new product development and support. And new products are the lifeblood of the industry. If they weren’t, we’d all still be using Apple II computers and old 586 machines.

Two, you don’t gain any new customers by continuing to concentrate on existing ones. If you want to survive, you have to generate new sales and products.

What I’m saying is this - whenever a new product comes out, there are always going to be complaining customers who bought the previous model. Yamaha listened to what people requested, delivered in the form of a new product, that makes a whole lot more sense than hammering away at the older product and patching things up here and there to keep it working.

What I see when people complain about something like a new product is this - you’re really saying “the new one costs more money than I can part with right now or in the foreseeable future”. Well, a computer-driven product like a synthesizer is not a basic design like a washing machine that will last 20 years or so. If you buy
anything that is high-tech, you should be aware that the odds are high you will be replacing it again.

Believe it or not, there is a big market for used instruments worldwide. There are people in other countries making CD’s with equipment you and I would be embarassed to own. There are plenty of people who would love to purchase your Motif when you make the decision to do so.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 09:03 AM
Ted
Joined  09-24-2003

DavePolich

I like your answer. Thanks for being patient …

I really want to upgrade MO 7 to MO 7 ES.

I haven,t used it much just for 7 month. No screeches. My wife said, “Your Motif is a second wife to you”

It is in such a good condition, and I saved the shipping box.

I don’t want to sell for $1000. It worth still $1700. Even I paid $2250.
Honestly, how much would I get for it if I sold it in September?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 10:03 AM
airgordon
Joined  06-17-2003

When September rolls around, the retail stores will be selling Motif 7s for around $1,500-$1,700 you would think.  So you’d think you’d have to sell it for less to really get it off your hands quickly.  I spoke yesterday with a keyboard guy from Sam Ash who said that they’d be selling the used Mo 8s at $1,899.  I’m not expecting much more than $1,700-$1,900 for my Motif 8 (especially after the ES becomes available) but I’m thinking about throwing in the hardshell case and a few other things too.  I may be overvaluing the Motifs as well.  My advice is this:  If you want to get an ES, sell ASAP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 11:25 AM
Rob
Joined  01-04-2004

Dear DAVE:  I agree with Ted in 100%,,,,,,,,

DAVE, I think you understood Ted’s post different way,,,,,,,

He is talking about that Yamaha is NOT going to upgrade OS for Motifs 6/7/8,,,,,
About computers,,,,,, if you purchase one for a lot of money, believe me you are O.K. with coming upgrades for next 2 or 3 years at least !!  We purchased top of the line synth’s from Yamaha and everyone was assuming if you spend so much money you are save for at least 2-3 years with that keyboard.
You see, a lot of us get upset as soon as new ES showed up, but I don’t think the reason is because of what is inside or outside of that Motif – everyone should know that always new designs will be coming every year or two,,,, I think the most upsetting is fact that Yamaha are not planning to do anything more for previous models at least support them for a 2-3 years. If you spend $600 – 800 US for 9000pro or Motif 8 and next year purchase new ES for $650 or $700 – no problem !! (assuming the old one you sold loosing only 30%) - But some guys must work almost whole year or longer and give up vacations in order to buy such as expensive keyboard – not mentioning about speakers and amplifiers,,,,,, I own Motif 8 and everything including even desk for it cost me over $4,000 US and I can spend more – I am willing to invest more in my Motif, - I don’t even need FREE upgrades of OS.  If I have to pay, I will !!  But it is disgusting knowing that you purchased brand new Motif (based on computer technology) and 1 year later nobody will develop anything to make you happy.  I know and you know they could if they would like to, BUT BUSINESS is BUSINESS !!  They always talking about “great support” – I think this is it !! we just received great support = buy new Motif ES… this is wonderful !! this is a great support !!

QUESTION for YAMAHA = knowing you have so many unhappy customers who would love to always have a brand new model,… can you end up with some kind of leasing or rental an idea ??? (assuming it will be reasonable with the price)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 12:24 PM
lars
Joined  12-16-2003

“He is talking about that Yamaha is NOT going to upgrade OS for Motifs 6/7/8,,,,,”

Yamaha never said this.  What they said is, it is not something they will put a lot of resources into.  I’m sure there will be a copuple more OS upgrade/bug fix/minor enhancements before it’s all over with. I just don’t see them committing a large number of resources to do given the limits of the hardware.

“About computers,,,,,, if you purchase one for a lot of money, believe me you are O.K. with coming upgrades for next 2 or 3 years at least !! “

Are you telling me that if you buy a DELL or HP today, 2 & 3 years down the road DELL & HP are offering upgrades?  That’s news to me!!  DELL doesn’t manufacture CD/ROM drives, sound cards, hard drives, SCSI interfaces, network interfaces,etc.  Those are made by comapnies like NEC, Turtle Beach, Cisco, ViewSonic etc. HP is one of the few companies that ALSO make the devices that you would use to upgrade an older item in one of their computers.
Yamaha is no different than any high-tech organization in their quest to be first to market.  They put the products out, get feedback from the field, issue firmware upgrades, bug fixes, cite application issues, etc.

“,,,, I think the most upsetting is fact that Yamaha are not planning to do anything more for previous models at least support them for a 2-3 years. “

Where did you read this?  Where did Yamaha say they weren’t going to support the Classic Mo’s, S90’s, S80’s, etc?
If this were true, the number of factory authorized service centers would shrink when these places found they couldn’t get parts, manuals, resources from Yamaha.

“But some guys must work almost whole year or longer and give up vacations in order to buy such as expensive keyboard – not mentioning about speakers and amplifiers,,,,,, “

Do they really need new?  Back in the ‘70’s & ‘80’s a lot of the newest generation of farmers felt they had to have new tractors, combines, farmalls, etc.  They found banks all too willing to loan them the money and when they came up short on their commodity & livestock prices, they went belly up and often the equipment was sold for 20 to 30 cents on the dollar.  (With many of the purchasers being the older and smarter farmers ready to replace their circa ‘40’s, ‘50’s, & 60’s equipment).

“But it is disgusting knowing that you purchased brand new Motif (based on computer technology) and 1 year later nobody will develop anything to make you happy. “

How much of 2004’s technology will be applicable to 2001 products at a worthwhile price to make investment worth it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 03:08 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

“ I think the most upsetting is fact that Yamaha are not planning to do anything more for previous models at least support them for a 2-3 years.”

No one from Yamaha has ever said that.  In fact for the past two days we have spent most of our time here saying the exact opposite over and over again in different threads.

Point one, the Motif ES is backward compatible to the Motif.  So new voice libraries develoepd for Motif will be usable in ES.  There are several new ones planned in the next month for release here.

Point two, all of the Motif hardware except SCSI devices and SIIM RAM including PLG boards are compatible with ES.  This means that the ES should add a significant new market for potential new PLG boards.

Point three, the Motif has already had several major free software updates.  These were not to fix something , these were to add new features.  When we came out with the S90 and it had an improved Master Mode , Motif user were able to take advantage of those new features soon afterward with a Motif OS upgrade. What we said in the ES interview was tha some things are impossible to do in a software upgrade (DIMM support, more polyphony, more effects, ribbon controller, etc.).  So we separated end users’ requests in to what was possible as OS upgrades and what had to be done via new hardware. 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 03:09 PM
Rob
Joined  01-04-2004

Dear Lars;

Please Call Yamaha Head Office - OS for Motif is DONE and they are NOT going to upgrade even bugs !!!!!

RE: Computers,,,, I own over 27 of them, I never purchased HP, DELL or other popular companies.  ALWAYS CLONE !!  - (except Laptops)
If you invest a lot of money in clone, believe me, even 4 years on the road a lot of things you are able to upgrade. Ask someone if you don’t believe me. The point is we spend a lot of money - we should be able to upgrade something, I am not saying that from Ford Pinto we can do upgrade to Mercedes or BMW

You are talking about S90’s, S80’s - I don’t know about that, I didn’t wrote my post about these keyboard.  I own Motif 8, and I was also taking about 9000pro AGAIN - CALL YAMAHA HEAD OFFICE ( 1-800 ) it free !!!

YOU WROTE = “Do they really need new? Back in the ‘70’s & ‘80’s a lot of the newest generation of farmers felt they had to have new tractors, combines, farmalls, etc.”
O.K. - where can you purchase used Motif ES ?????????
Even 4 months ago when I was purchasing my MO 8 - I didn’t see any used one. You are missing the point !! The point is that a lot of us did purchase brand new – because that was our dream – not used one !!!!!

YOU WROTE = How much of 2004’s technology will be applicable to 2001 products at a worthwhile price to make investment worth it?
O.K. it is better to purchase “ABC” keyboard and every time new will show on the market you simply loose $1,250 or more in order to get VERY SIMILAR “ABC” keyboard having a few upgrades,,, is this what are you taking about ???? Because I am not.  I don’t care about new ES, but I am surprised what Yamaha Head Office told me about: “Motifs 6,7,8, OS is FINISHED and we are NOT planning to do any more upgrades” Remember, we are talking about computer technology. Did you purchase new computer as soon as Microsoft changed Windows from ME to 2000 and to XP ???? I am not talking about hardware – good for them they are developing something new,,,, I am talking about not taking care of previously sold product especially when everyone knows that OS is NOT FINISHED based from BUGS !!!!!!!  It is like you purchased brand new car with 3 years 60,000 km warranty and they fixed your transmission 3 times because of defects and you did that kilometres limit in 2 years and after that when your warranty is over you have to pay, because 4th time your transmission went down. Are you going to be happy of that ??? ((( bad transmission – bad OS - - - defect transmission – bugs in OS ))) For me = exactly the same thing

P.S.  CALL YAMAHA HEAD OFFICE !!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 03:22 PM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Bugs ?

“They are NOT going to upgrade even bugs “

We know of no known bugs in the Motif and if you believe you have discovered anything new , please post it here and we will investigate it immediately.  To our knowledge , the Motif had always been extremely stable and bug free and the OS upgrades we have done in the past were to add new features, not fix quality issues.

You can send things to Yamaha’s head office if you like , but trust us, what will happen is eventually they will be routed back to the Yamaha distributor in the country of origin of the message.  It is much quicker to post here and see if perhaps it is not really a bug , but a “pilot error “ or misunderstnading about how the feature should work .  We would be very interested in any information regarding a true bug, that is a function that does not work correctly and as decribed in the manual.  We don’t believe there are any.  If there are which we sincerely doubt as we have used the Motif for thousands of hours ourselves and know of tens of thousands of satified users , Yamaha will investigate them immediately and take the appropriate action.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 03:27 PM
Rob
Joined  01-04-2004

ONE MORE TIME IT’S ME:

I was writing my post,,,,, and when I finished I can see
that GURU from YAMAHA wrote: ((( No one from Yamaha has ever said that. In fact for the past two days we have spent most of our time here saying the exact opposite over and over again in different threads )))

I DID CALL YAMAHA HEAD OFFICE IN CANADA !!!!
I ASKED FOR SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT
MOTIF 8 ISSUES AND TECHNICAL SUPPORT.
I DON’T REMEMBER NAME,,,,, BUT I DID CALL BEFORE WITH DIFFERENT QUESTIONS AND I ALWAYS WAS TRANSFERED TO THE SAME PERSON - AND THAT WAS “WOMEN”

If this is very important, write here and ask me for the name of that person, - tomorrow I will call them and in 100% I will found out and give you that women name in this topic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 03:35 PM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Canada

The woman’s name is Charmaine Dennison and she is a very good player and knows a lot about the Motif.  We thought you were talking about sending emails or calling to the head office in Japan.  That doesn’t work so well because of the language barriers and they would just end up referring you to Charmaine.

Agian if you believe you haev found anything that isa true bug, we would be very , very surprised.  However Yamaha will always support it’s current products in the market and the Motif is still current and will stay that way for quite a while to come.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 03:53 PM
Rob
Joined  01-04-2004

Again as soon as I wrote my new post,,,,,

GURU wrote about bugs

PLEASE GO TO = Steinberg topics and go to page
#5 and read subject <<< Problems with SX and Motif using Loop playback >>>

BELOW GURU frankE WROTE:
Guru

Re: “am I correct to think that it’s a Motif bug”
----Yes, it’s Motif related, so I’d focus on that end of the setup...............frank

ANYWAY, let me go home and soon I will post all bugs what I will found,,,,,

Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 04:15 PM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Configuration Problem

wse can almost guarantee that this is a configuration problem ( that is Cubse SX and Motif are not set up to work correctly together). 

What the person said was to focus on the Motif side of the setup, and he may well be right.  We don’t have Cubase SX here right now to test it , but take a look at the Motif’s Utility Mode, MIDI F5 , Sync SF3 Sequence Control parameter and try setting it to Off. also check the Clock on/Off settings.

It’s possible that Clock and start/stop commands are being sent out by Cubase to Motif and then re-sent again by Motif ( like an Echo Back).

Once configured correctly , the Motif will work fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 05:15 PM
lars
Joined  12-16-2003

“If you invest a lot of money in clone, believe me, even 4 years on the road a lot of things you are able to upgrade. “

Clone or not, the computer manufacturer does NOT make all of the devices, peripherals, etc.

Does the clone mfr. make the BIOS?  Probably not...that’s Award, AMI, or some other company.
Do they make the the motherboard?  No, they’re imported largely from Japan, China, and Singapore.
Do they make the hard drive?  No.  Floppy drive?  No.  CD/DVD? No.

The clones make nothing that goes into their computers.  Whether you assemble them or not.

Just because Award made the BIOS in one of your 27 computers that you bought 3 years ago, does that mean any recent BIOS upgrades Award has done is going to work in tyour computer?  No, not necessarily.

“Ask someone if you don’t believe me”

My history around computers goes back to the days of the Osborne’s, TRS-80’s, TI’s, etc. The computrs that I have owned and/or in my charge were either purchased and/or modified by me or someone in my charge.

“The point is we spend a lot of money - we should be able to upgrade something, I am not saying that from Ford Pinto we can do upgrade to Mercedes or BMW”

I understand what you’re saying.  What I don’t agree with is taking something as generic as a computer where any manufacturer’s monitor can generally be used with any computer...with about any keyboard...with a standard FDD....in other words non-proprietary devices from different manufacturers brought together to form a system and comparing it to a system (keyboard/rack) whose major components are proprietary.

“You are talking about S90’s, S80’s - “

Nope.  I’m talking about all of the platforms.

“I own Motif 8, ...”

Motif6 here, but will probably trade up to ES.

“O.K. - where can you purchase used Motif ES ?????????”

Huh?  Considering the fact that the ES hasn’t been released yet, how is this a valid question?
How many places can you buy upgrades to Intel’s newest CPU due in 2007, or AMI’s BIOS scheduled for 2005 release?

“Even 4 months ago when I was purchasing my MO 8 - I didn’t see any used one.”

I should hope not considering it (the ES) hasn’t been released.  Now, 8 months ago when I bought my Mo’ 6, the store had one used Mo’ 8 and thought a recent Mo’ 7 customer was thinking of trading to Triton Studio. (Depending on what they would sell it for...I was considering buying the used Mo’ 7 but they weren’t positive that the customer was bringing it back).

“You are missing the point !! The point is that a lot of us did purchase brand new – because that was our dream – not used one !!!!!”

No, I’m NOT missing the point. I DID purchase brand new, I knew what the Motif could do and couldn’t do. Today, I have an 8 month old Mo’ 6 that STILL sounds as good as it did brand new.  It doesn’t look or behave any different than it did July 1st.

“O.K. it is better to purchase “ABC” keyboard and every time new will show on the market you simply loose $1,250 or more in order to get VERY SIMILAR “ABC” keyboard having a few upgrades,,, “

Huh?  Why do I have to buy a new “ABC” everytime a new one is made?  Do YOU buy a new car everytime a new model comes out?  Is your microwave at home the latest model?  How’s that brand new Maytag washer working for you?
I’ve been to far too many gigs with guys with all of the latest boards and a lot STILL can’t play at a degree that (in my mind) warrants the arsenal they have.  I don’t begrudge them for buying new....but I can sound better with equipment that is 5, 190, even 17 years older than most of their setups.
So that’s NOT what I’m talking about.

“Remember, we are talking about computer technology. “

Technology yes, but similarities between keyboard architectures and PC architectures are like comparing green apples to red ones...and in some cases that’s a stretch.

“but I am surprised what Yamaha Head Office told me about: “Motifs 6,7,8, OS is FINISHED and we are NOT planning to do any more upgrades” “

I am in the Automation Industry and we have customers still willing to plunk down as much as $15,000 for a programmable controller (computer) based on ‘90’s technology.  We let them know up front that there are no planned OS upgrades.  They buy them anyway.  Usually because they already have an installed base of them and are comfortable with them.  This is even after we demonstrate newer technology in a controller (computer) that costs 1/3 of the units they are buying.  They don’t have a problem with this.

“Did you purchase new computer as soon as Microsoft changed Windows from ME to 2000 and to XP ???? “

No.  Because I didn’t have the NEED for the newer operating systems as they were rolled out. After 3 or 4 service packs I did eventually buy new computers, modems, motherboards, hard drives, etc. as necessary to facillitate the operation of these new OS’s.  As you know, just because Windows 95 worked on a computer there’s no guarantee that 2000 or XP will.

“I am talking about not taking care of previously sold product especially when everyone knows that OS is NOT FINISHED based from BUGS !!!!!!! “

BUGS????  Yamaha_US clearly addressed this in an earlier post.  He/she even told you how to submit what you believe is a “bug” to Yamaha for remediation.

“It is like you purchased brand new car with 3 years 60,000 km warranty and they fixed your transmission 3 times because of defects and you did that kilometres limit in 2 years and after that when your warranty is over you have to pay, because 4th time your transmission went down”

Not hardly.  Would you know ofthat “bug” if you hadn’t stumbled on it in the forum?  Doubtful.
My new Mo had NO miles on it, has had 2 OS upgrades (by me) and works just as good as the Mo’ 6 that is still in the dealer’s showroom waiting to be bought by another satisfied customer.

“P.S. CALL YAMAHA HEAD OFFICE !!!!!! “

Why?  I’m happy.  You’re the one who is stewing.

Lars

P.S. Are all of your 27 computers bug free?  Doubtful.  Were they ever? Probably not. Will they ever be? Impossibly not.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 08:20 PM
Rob
Joined  01-04-2004

Dear LARS:

When you read posts… at least TRY to understand what that person is referring to....
You just answered everything too fast and twisting everything upside down.

“….Clone or not, the computer manufacturer does NOT make all of the devices, peripherals, etc….” WHO CARES !!!!  if I need more memory or larger hard drive in 2 years can I do it or not ????  So, who cares if this will be Fujitsu or Western Digital HD as long as can do the UPGARDE !!!!!  One more time = UPGRADE - This is what we are taking about YES or NOT ???  ((( Not who makes or who assemble )))

Can I upgrade my 64MB memory in my Motif ???  I was told YES in the near future at the day of purchase (but that was salesperson – not Yamaha to blame)

“…What I don’t agree with is taking something as generic as a computer where any manufacturer’s monitor can generally be used with any computer...with about any keyboard…” AGAIN - UPGARDE !!!  I never said that any monitor will work with any computer….. – again = who cares anyway.  The question is: if I need new monitor in 2 or 3 years can I purchase (any name) and will much to my computer ???  YES !!! it will be there – and you know that based from your computer history.

“…Nope. I’m talking about all of the platforms…” Can you tell me what kind of upgrades was done to 9000pro ???  And the reason I wrote that is because I spoke with Yamaha Head Office (in Canada) with Charmaine Dennison and she told me that Motif’s Operating System is COMPLETED and they are not planning to do any more upgrades.

”…. How many places can you buy upgrades to Intel’s newest CPU due in 2007, or AMI’s BIOS scheduled for 2005 release?….” YOU SEE !!!  This is what I am taking about, you are twisting everything, you don’t understand the point or you just playing with me.  When I wrote about saving entire year money for your “dream” you wrote to purchase used one like farmers did with tractors or combines back in 70’s or 80’s
OF COURSE I KNOW THAT - I AM NOT AN IDIOT !!!  I DID ASK YOU THAT QUESTION ON PURPOSE.

“….Do YOU buy a new car every time a new model comes out? Is your microwave at home the latest model? How’s that brand new Maytag washer working for you?…”
O.K. I guess you don’t read or didn’t have a chance to read all new topics what others are talking about new ES, upgrades, selling’s, etc. etc.
You see, one of the GURU (from Yamaha) did make an idea to one customer = “…If you bought a Motif 6 for $1800 ( Map in the US) and sell it for about a $1000, then it would cost you $800 to upgrade to an ES…” << Yamaha_US guru Posts: 191 Loc: Buena Park, CA >>
Look at = <<< I want an free upgrade!!! ( Pages 1 2 3 all ) >>>
So, this is the reason I wrote about that.  If you think about Motif 8 – you should know it costs more then $1800 – that is why I wrote different number.

“….we have customers still willing to plunk down as much as $15,000 for a programmable controller (computer) based on ‘90’s technology. We let them know up front that there are no planned OS upgrades. They buy them anyway…..”
YES, AND THIS IS WHAT I LIKE !!!!!  - You let them know….. about OS….
Before I did purchase,,,, I HAD A CHOICE – Not right now.  I am not crazy to loose so much money,,,,,,,,
TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS = Before my purchase I did a lot of investigation what should I buy. I did ask a lot of people about different opinions. I did visit this web site and I also ask you guys. One day before purchase I even called Yamaha Head Office in Canada and also I did ask some questions.  I HAD A CHOICE, - RIGHT ??
I was told if I purchase something not too expensive in a few months I will be looking for more,,,,, if I go with top of the line (best of the best) synth I will always have support, upgrades, comparability with new voices or good resale value. If you buy for $1,200 Yamaha PSR500 – who is going to buy that from me ??? Pro ??? No way !!! my potential customer will be the person who has no clue of the value and wish to pay $80 for it like for used Casio.  So, I purchase best of the best, so for looong time I will be happy.  One person from “AXE” store told me to purchase just good keyboard with 88 hammer keys and Cubase SX and I will be able to do anything I like.  Maybe that was true ?? But I did what I did and end up with Motif 8.

You wrote: “….Why? I’m happy. You’re the one who is stewing….”
AGAIN, misunderstanding !!!
Let me tell you this so you finally understand who am I.  – I am very proud of having Motif 8, - I think this is best of the best keyboard on this planet. I am not replacing my MO for MO-ES (I wish to have new ES – don’t take me wrong) but I think it will take me looooooong time before I figure out what is inside that synth and what this keyboard is capable to do. I love the sound and look. Every day I am discovering more and more new things and how gifted that synth it is.  So for I never regret of my purchase. And in my opinion Yamaha is much better compare to Roland or Korg not only with sound but what can you do and how can you do program everything.  A lot of guys are complaining about difficult and complicated manual – maybe it is a little bit but not for me – the only thing I have trouble to find is more info about microphone setups.
So – you may ask what is going on ?? Rob is writing about so many unhappy things - and now he is saying that he love his Motif ??  YES I DO LOVE MY MOTIF !!
GO BACK AND READ ONE MORE TIME EVERYTHING WHAT I WROTE !!
The only what you will find is about me calling to Head Office and getting disappointed after they told me that Yamaha is not planning to do any more upgrades and old customers will never be able to get anything more (even if they can afford to pay for it)
Charmaine Dennison from Yamaha said the OS for my Motif 8 is FINISHED – no more changes, upgrades etc. So I guess in the future I can not even purchase newer version of Cubase SX because who will write new driver for it ???

Question to Yamaha:  I do believe many of you have a kids,,,, I do understand as soon as new born coming on this world you most will concentrate on that new baby born,,,,,
BUT YOU STILL LOVE YOUR OLDER CHILDREN – AM I RIGHT ??????

Rob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 10:49 PM
Way_ne
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  01-26-2003

It sounds more like you don’t NEED new updates, you just WANT them. Even if it has been said to you that the OS is ‘finished’,the posts above have explained that if a genuine bug is found it will be investigated. Part of the problem here seems to be that some people misunderstand what an OS bug is. If you put diesel into a petrol engine you have a major problem. Neither the engine nor the fuel is at fault. Someone who didn’t understand the problem would blame one or the other, right? I know it might seem like a silly example but it does illustrate the point. 
“Dear General Motors, A friend of mine has the same model XYH car as mine but he uses cheaper fuel and gets better mileage. So I put the same fuel in mine and now it won’t run. I think there is a fault with my engine and would like it fixed or replaced.”
“Dear Customer, the XYH model is available with either a petrol or diesel engine. Please check to see whether or not your engine has spark plugs.......”
Of course music/computer technology issues are usually more complex.  - Wayne

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2