mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Just a bunch of hype, end result, we get nothing"

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 06:49 AM
OLDFART
Total Posts:  284
Joined  06-29-2003

Thats right,lots of smoke and mirrors, for the price of 3 PLG’s, upgrade, trade-up, we’ll help you sell!  extended warranty,It’s awesome, sure it is, but so is a new 2004 BMW, doesent mean i’ll go buy one, i dont need a new ES , i’m happy with old MO, but very unhappy nothing will be available , just another lick and promise. Do you really think anybody will give me anything close to what i have invested into old MO-8? lets figure MO-8 paid 2400. SCSI rom reader 200. soft case 100. 3smart media 125. 64 meg upgrade 100.custom made end-caps 100. 3 after-market pianos, 150. total= $3,075 since costom MO and case go together, the only thing i would keep would be a SM-card, market value after ES release mabey $1,400 if i’m lucky, Out the door price of new ES-8 aprox $2,400 SO, old MO depreciated $1,675 add a $1,000 to sale intake of old MO to get ES we’re talking $2,675 in LOSSES to put a new ES in my studio, i fail to see what old MO owners are so excited about, i’m very dissapointed after all the hype we got nothing. God only knows how the price of 3 PLG’s or $700.  figures into any of this. the only way to satisfy this costomer, a PIANO-PLG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 08:27 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: Just a bunch of hype, end result, we get nothi

You think you have it tough, you should have bought the first Pro Tools systems. When Pro Tools went HD, man, talk about having to invest again. Makes the Motif situation pale in comparison.

Chalk it up to living in the hi-tech world. I look at things this way - unless I’m so totally in love with the sound of an instrument (like a B3, or a vintage synth or Rhodes)that I can’t live without it, I consider the money I spend on gear to be rent, more or less.

Hey I have a rack of hardware digital reverbs that I can’t get 100 bucks for, and I spent way more than that on them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 09:21 AM
admin
Total Posts:  9578
Joined  12-09-2008

You might be better off waiting to see if “classic mo” prices really drop and adding a second one. There, you’ve just doubled your poly, insert effects, and sampling memory.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 11:19 AM
Richard_Saunders
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-01-2003

Someone in another post compared this to the constant update and resulting obsolescence cycle of computer hardware and software. We certainly don’t scream and throw tantrums to Intel and Microsoft when they update their products. How can we possibly consider doing the same to poor Yamaha, who now take a revolutionary step in offering some type of upgrade credit to current Mo owners? Believe me, I’ve owned synthesizers since 1977, and this is a first in the hardware synth world!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 12:18 PM
kktk
Joined  09-16-2002

yup I agree....they have come out with something that kicks ass.

many features added.
i am not happy about the number of user slots and expansion capabilities, but what the heck--cant make everyone happy now can we? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

Overall--GREAT JOB YAMAHA!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 02:32 PM
Sempai
Joined  07-27-2002

Well, all I can say is I never expected any piece of high tech gear to remain “cutting edge” forever.  That being said, I would certianly hope/expect Yamaha to support the Mo for sometime into the immediate future.  I do not have a need for two Mo’s so, at some point, I’ll be selling the old and buying the new.  The fact that Yamaha is even offering ANYTHING to incentivize switching is unusal.  It may not seem like much but I don’t know any other synth manufacturer who offers this.

It’s a business.  I don’t feel screwed.  I just have to decide if my Mo will be with me for another year or two, or not.  I don’t see Intel supporting p-IIs anymore and Microsoft won’t even support Windows 98SE....and there are millions of PCs with that operating system.

My .02

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 02:38 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

What compatibility means

That’s why it is important to look at the things that are compatible between Motif and Motif ES.  We and Keyfax can continue to develop both sample and voice libraries that will work for both Motif and Motif ES. PLG boards are also compatible.  Even hardware options like cases, BC3s, pedals , etc are all compatible between the two products.  This insures that all of those items will continue to be supported by us for both Motif and ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 08:27 PM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

Re: What compatibility means

I can tell you that Mo’Town will be supporting the Motif, as most of us don’t have the money to buy yet.

We are always looking for people to help.

For instance, voice editing with the voice editor is MUCH easier than you think.  You can make many custom voices for yourself.  Come into the motif chat room when ever you need support and help.  Ruvidan was buying as many Pad voices for his new age music.  That was until he learned how easy pads are to make.  Making acustic voices is harder but still possible.  Dance and Synth sounds are pretty easy also.

Samples are harder to make, but I am working of a handful even now.  It’s months till the ES comes out, and you should hear the free trumpet I have coming out soon.......... For free DL of course though it’s pretty darned big!!!

Anyways we are not going away anytime soon.

The chat room is abuzz with all this stuff too.

Visit, [url=http://motif.falldowngoboom.org/]http://motif.falldowngoboom.org/ [/url]
You can go to “Chat” and we have a pretty elaborite chat setup.  Come on in and hang out a while, somebody will come along.  It’s helpfull if you type in your Username here in the Nick name filed that is filled in with Motif### at the line line.  That way we get to know you better.  It’s a pretty friendly place.

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 10:34 PM
shappy1010
Joined  05-09-2003

I agree with oldfart, I hear all this “yamaha listened to users” blablabla, well they didn´t! Check the triple strike PLG thread, a new Motif is NOT what current motif users are waiting for. Again Yamaha is not faithfull to it´s userbase. A triple strike PLG + orchestral PLG would have eliminated the need for an additional synth. 3500 $ (probably 4000 in europe) is a crapload of money.

Also upgrade offers are ussually not available overseas, so it leaves out perhaps the majority of Motif users around the world.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 11:39 PM
admin
Total Posts:  9578
Joined  12-09-2008

A good piano PLG would create the incetive for un-motifated people to buy the used ones, effectively helping the ones that wish to upgrade. You know: “I’ll go get a used Motif; the price is right and when I put the piano PLG in, I’ll at least have a killer piano sound with it’s own polyphony.”

Or in other words, a piano plg will boost the sales of the used ones, rather than making existing Motif users stick to them. Cause the ES has so much more than just the piano sound to force people upgrade.

Mike

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2003 @ 05:32 AM
___
Joined  10-08-2002

The vast majority of Motif users around the world live in the US. There is a good PLG piano board. It’s called the PLG150 PF. I hope that come out with more Piano samples soon, I don’t want to wait for a PLG.  I would be happy witha triple strike sample bank, SOON !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2003 @ 04:09 PM
___
Joined  10-08-2002

Yeah right, and Jesus is going to personally descend upon my porch and save me soon, too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 04, 2003 @ 05:03 PM
___
Joined  10-08-2002

Will he be playing the new Motif ES?

[ Ignore ]