mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Pocketrak CX Handheld Recorder"

Posted on: November 10, 2008 @ 03:27 AM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

Are there mo forum brothers who has experiences with this mobile handheld recorder from Yamaha.

Can it directly connected to the analog L/R outs of the XS or the SPDIF out of the XS or the recorder outputs from the N12 mixer?

Thanks for any comment.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2008 @ 01:15 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: Yamaha Pocketrak CX Handheld Recorder

I have the Pocketrak 2G, which is very similar to the CX, except that the microphone angles are different and there is no SD card slot.

The answer is no, you cannot connect analog 1/4 outputs, S/PDIF, or XLR to the Pocketrak. It has a USB connection. It is designed to record via the built-in microphones, however there is a mini-phone jack input if you want to record via an external microphone. The input is not “line-level” so you couldn’t connect a 1/4 inch cable from the Motif to a mini-phone plug adapter and then into the Pocketrak. Well, you could, but
the audio quality will likely be distorted or very low (and it would be mono).

I’m using the Pocketrak 2G to record new sound effects for the XS version of the DCP “Action Sound FX” library. The sound quality is excellent, and the USB connection makes transfer of sound files really easy. You can also use it as an mp3 player, or to store data.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 10, 2008 @ 11:45 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Dave,

Thanks for yr comments. However, are you sure about the mic input? I hope you are wrong. I have downloaded the manual of the CX and see what I found:

Recording from an external audio device (such as a CD
player)
You can record line input sources from an external audio device (such as a CD player or MD
player).
1. Press the [MENU/ENTER] button for at least two (2) seconds while the main
screen is displayed, press the [VOL +/-] buttons to select [REC MENU] →
[REC SELECT], then press the [MENU/ENTER] button.
2. Press the [VOL +/-] buttons to select [LINE], then press the [MENU/ENTER]
button.
Note:
· Please note that you cannot adjust the recording level on the unit if [LINE] has been
selected.
3. Connect the recorder’s [MIC/LINE] socket to the audio output connector on
the external device.

I mean if you can connect a CD player or mD player to this CX recorder Line-In, it must be possible to connect the stereo output of the N12 or XS synth to this CX pocketrak as well. Ofcourse you need a special cable for it, thats no problem.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 11, 2008 @ 03:08 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Well then, there you are. You answered your own question.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2008 @ 01:12 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Dave.

Is that not something. I answered my own question this time.

To-day I received that Pocketrak CX thing at my office. WOW. That machine is tiny. It looks very fragile. Ofcourse when I am at home to-night I will test that CX inmediately, especially the direct recording from the N12 to the CX and also from the XS in the MP3 mode. I wonder how that sounds.

Anyway I let you people know about it.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2008 @ 02:23 PM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

As promised.

This unit works exactly as expected. Its recording directly from my XS or N12 into MP3 or WAV files at CD quality in full stereo via the MIC/LINE input.

Ofcourse recording via de MIC is great also. I think. I still have to test it on location as well.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha N8 or N12 Mixer users...
Next Topic:

Instrument ranges? ››