mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Totally New Keyboard/Synth from Yamaha in ‘09 ?"

Posted on: November 06, 2008 @ 01:39 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002

How llikely is it for Yamaha to introduce a totally New Yamaha Keyboard/Synth/Sound-Module, that is not related to any of the current models.  (i.e.  Not related to Motif / Arrangers/ or other existing product models) during the upcoming Winter NAMM 2009 show ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 06, 2008 @ 01:53 PM
Hugo
Total Posts:  1001
Joined  10-21-2003

Re: Totally New Keyboard/Synth from Yamaha in ‘09 ?

Not very likely. Yamaha have probably left further synthesis development, focusing instead on expanding on the technology in the Motif. I do hope, however, that they continue working on the Tenori-On, I would love to see a version II of that baby! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2008 @ 05:45 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: Totally New Keyboard/Synth from Yamaha in ‘09 ?

Is it likely that we’ll see the launch of the S90 XS?

That would be an interesting board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2008 @ 06:52 AM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Totally New Keyboard/Synth from Yamaha in ‘09

“Is it likely that we’ll see the launch of the S90 XS?

That would be an interesting board.

As long as they kept the PLG slots!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2008 @ 08:15 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

I’m with Hugo. I think Yamaha is going to further its technology in the “way” the music is projected and recorded. Consoles that address getting the music “out” either in live performance with access to memory and data storage accessability and recording.

An S90 XS “could” be a consideration. Maybe an up grade on the Tyros yet again. But economics may stall further release of any up grades in workstations. Software and more effective means of production seems to be, to “me” the area they will bring their advances into.
Just a thought.......

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 07, 2008 @ 07:27 PM
muziksculp
Total Posts:  688
Joined  08-13-2002

Although it might be a bit too far fetched for Yamaha to introduce a brand new keyboard/synth/sound-module during Winter NAMM ‘09.  I feel that the marketplace is ready for a fresh and flexible new product, that is Not a Workstation.

I think we have a crowded Workstation-based keyboard maket for now.

Korg has Oasys and M3, and recently added the M50.
Roland has the Fantom line.
Yamaha has the Motif Line.
Kurzweil has the K2600, and PC3

And others that I might not have listed. ...

What I would love to see is a non-workstation based product from Yamaha, mainly a great sounding keyboard/sound-module that covers a lot of ground, without the need for built-in sequencer, or sampling, just a huge amount of very high-quality ROM sounds, in addition to have various synthesis technology options available… such as Virtual Analog Synthesis, (Additive, Subtractive), FM synthesis, Vector, Granular, ..etc.  Great built-in effects. 

This type of product IMHO is currently missing from today’s marketplace, one factor contributing to this is the over emphasis by many companies on the workstation based keyboard concept.

So, Instead of a workstation-keyboard, I wish there was more focus on improving the sound generation technology i.e.  innovative new synthesis technologies/ improved acoustic emulation technologies/ ...etc.  without the bells and whistles of sequencing, and other misc. HW workstation-keyboard concepts that can be done better, easier, and faster using SW DAWS. 

With the availability of sophisticated DAWs such as Cubase 4/Nuendo 4/ Logic Pro 8/ Pro Tools/ Sonar 8 / Live 7 / ...etc.  Software is the most flexible, and powerful way to have a workstation.  HW workstations are IMHO over emphasized, especially when I think the majority of studios are equipped with a computer that runs a pretty poweful software based DAW.

I also feel that the HW Keyboard/Synth sound-generation/synthesis technology has been in a stagnation mode for a long time, due to the fact that manufacturers keep insisting on putting too many bells, and whistles in their workstations, to do things like ... sequencing, arps, sampling,...etc. that sw based DAWs, and software are better at achiveing, they are also more flexible, and offer a better interaction with the user via the computer screen (GUI). I also feel that as a consumer, I’m paying for these extras, but then using my Software based DAW, which makes me think twice about the real value these HW based Keyboard-DAW sequencing/sampling features are providing. I personally don’t think they offer a very good value, I would rather see more emphasis in improving the actual sound-generation-technology.

Yamaha’s Motif XS is a great product, offering a complete DAW solution, but there is a lot of room for more innovative non-workstation based keyboard/synth/module product that I would like to see Yamaha introduce in the future. The next generation Motif XS will offer more features as a DAW based Keyboard from Yamaha, which will be great for those who need a HW based workstation.

I wish that Yamaha /Roland/ Korg/ Kurzweil would spend a little more of their R&D time, and money, into what I feel matters more.. the actual (sound generation technology) itself..  to produce Better quality acoustic instrument emulations, new and more innovative and flexible synthesis technologies.  More polyphony, better, and more DSP effects, and SW based integration of HW with DAWs, which will allow easy editing, and storage via SW.

Having YAMAHA + STEINBERG now working as a team, I see this a formula for sucess in today’s pro-studio marketplace.  Steinberg’s SW know how in developing great SW DAWs. , and Yamaha’s know how in developing fantastic sounding Keyboard/sound-modules, and DSP effects, makes a lot of sense, especially if Yamaha begins to focus on what it does best… which is offering great sounding, flexible HW, that can be integrated with Steinberg’s SW, which creates a Pro-DAW system.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2008 @ 08:19 PM
Randelph
Total Posts:  315
Joined  02-21-2007

OK- I know a lot of people feel like you do.  Personally I’m very satisfied with the quality of sounds i get from my XS and the capability to generate new sounds- it’s a full time job to even began to harness all that sonic firepower. 

What I wish for from the manufacturers, and the closest i’ve found so far is with one of Yamaha’s cheapest keyboards:
~ extremely lightweight
~ built-in speakers
~ battery powered
~ knobs for tweaking
~ vocal input

so in other words, a relatively well-equiped synth type board (not an arranger) with speakers

When i’m at a party or jam scene, i don’t want to bring a big fancy,heavy keyboard, i want something light, and if the onboard speakers are good, it may be all i need for amplification.  invariably, and i’ve owned 3 keyboards with speakers, i’ve been really surprised and pleased with how effective on-board speakers are- i can practice at moderate volumes and still get a really satisfying, even inspiring sound at times. 

i suspect that other people have different needs, but i also suspect many people have prejudiced notions of what keyboards with on-board speakers can be like and don’t realize how handy and portable it makes making music.  being battery powered is great as well, i’ve had many sessions at campgrounds and parks where I was packin’ sound in my little portable set-up.

and having a mic input is fantastic.  unfortunately the cheap Yammie i have doesn’t have a mic input, but the XS does, and wow, the quality of the effects, and the ability to use chorus, reverb and insert fx on the voice input is awesome.

i thought the new korg m50 was going to get me relatively close to my desire for a knob tweakable, lightweight, good-sounding board i could tuck under my arm; of course it doesn’t have speakers, but almost none of the synth oriented keyboards do; but alas, it doesn’t have a vocal input- very dissapointed; after years and years of gear shleppage, i’m all for keeping it simple.

Which leaves me facing reality- if i’m playing out on the street, i need serious amplification anyway, so i’m looking into a hefty 12 volt battery that would power my fender pd-250, and any keyboard and outboard fx i need.  i just need to keep reminding myself, when i start complaining about dealing with so much gear all the time, how lucky i am to have all this great equipment- right?
Randelph

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 09, 2008 @ 08:34 PM
Randelph
Total Posts:  315
Joined  02-21-2007

in fact, i’ve been waiting for yamaha or somebody to design the ultimate party-in-a-keyboard for awhile now- it seems like a no-brainer to me:

> mini-jack stereo input/ipod connection
>the keyboard itself has skate wheels and a handle for easy rolling, and some kind of ingenious front panel that’s protected while transporting it (no need for a bag)
> fantastic, good boom box quality speakers that could power a small to medium sized party: you play your portable media player through it, and you play along with it.
> drum / chord pads designed so at least 2 people can be playing it at once (one on the keys, 1 on the pads)
> the keyboard has a folding stand built into it with two heights: sitting, and standing
> two microphone inputs (with fx), with FRONT PANEL knobs
> dedicated drum machine built-in, making it easy to have a backing groove
> synth knobs for cutoff, fx, eq, etc., etc.
> a new type of continuous foot controller that allowed you to do volume and modulation control with 1 pedal, one foot (not sure on this one- it’d probably have to be something that was only workable while sitting down)

the roland juno stage has the 1/8” external inputs as well as usb drive mp3 playback of tracks; various korgs and rolands have pads; korg has a dedicated, easy-to-use drum function; there’s plenty of lightweight keyboards with great speakers; there’s just not any one keyboard with all these.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2008 @ 05:01 AM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

> fantastic, good boom box quality speakers that could power a small to medium sized party: you play your portable media player through it, and you play along with it.
> drum / chord pads designed so at least 2 people can be playing it at once (one on the keys, 1 on the pads)
> dedicated drum machine built-in, making it easy to have a backing groove

Sounds like a real horror. Why not just play your radio?

I’d like to see Yamaha put out an analog synthesizer (not virtual). In this economy I’m not confident anyone’s going to be doing much, though. The local authorized Yamaha dealer stopped selling pianos this fall, and the local authorized Steinway dealer went out of business this past spring.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2008 @ 05:42 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

...the local authorized Steinway dealer went out of business this past spring.

Why do you think that is?  In the Spring, the economy was not that bad; it’s certainly been worse.  And the fact that they closed their doors in Spring probably indicates they were hurting well into last year. Is it just that the only parties buying Steinways are performance venues?  Or has someone taking a good chunk of their market?  Our Steinway showroom [at least the one on North Central in Dallas] is still in business...for now…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 13, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

I can only speculate. It’s true that this was a music store that sold various other things besides pianos, and I wasn’t especially afeared until the Yamaha dealer ceased to sell pianos but otherwise stayed in business. Then I started to see a pattern. I have to conclude that in the larger scheme of things it has significantly to do with competition from electronic simulations, but the timing suggests to me that in the smaller scheme of things the economy must have something to do with it too. (Back in the spring Bush seemed to think the economy was bad enough to authorize sending us stimulus checks. How many here put theirs toward a piano? Mine went straight into general funds, I’m afraid.) Except for certain relatively obscure upscale brands like Bosendorfer, Steinway and Yamaha are generally regarded as the best two piano manufacturers (rightly so in my opinion--Steinway for grands, Yamaha for uprights), making this especially worrisome for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Question about Nord and Prophet
Next Topic:

YBS882 Soft Case Filler Piece ››