mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controlling the Controller"

Posted on: November 03, 2008 @ 06:34 AM
imaband
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-22-2003

Hi,

I own a Motif Rack but I have a general MIDI question that has been perplexing me for some time. I have a StudioLogic Fatar MIDI controller keyboard that allows me to do things like split the keyboard, transpose, etc. I want to automate these tasks as I have VERY little time between songs on stage to do things like transpose or split and the crappy interface on the Fatar does not help matters. Instead, I’m forced to create user patches that split or transpose the keyboard by assigning pitches or key ranges to individual voice elements. YUCK! That takes up precious user bank space and also means my sounds will not be as fat on a split because I no longer have all 4 voice elements available since I have to divide them up. I had a Roland D50 many years ago that I could have sworn allowed you to set both transposition and split configuration via MID IN messages. Everyone I’ve talked to at Sweetwater says nothing like that exists unless you buy a full blown keyboard workstation. But I don’t WANT a full blown workstation. I just want a freeking controller that I can CONROL!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 03, 2008 @ 11:55 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: Controlling the Controller

Check into an outboard MIDI EVENT PROCESSOR.  I’m the owner of a Yamaha MEP-4; it does exactly what you’re describing—Based on NOTE ONs, it can change the channel number (or even send it out a different OUT port.)

They’re no longer made, but they’re popping up all the time on eBay / Craigslist.

MIDI Solutions also makes an Event Processor, haven’t studied it, but it might help.  It looks like a bear to program, though, as it has no User Interface of its own. 

The MEP4 has 60 User locations that are entire Processing Programs, each program can do at least four tasks.  It has four re-assignable Outputs, if you want to redirect to a totally different tone generator.  It’s configurable by the front panel, and you can send it Program Changes to have it swap presets.

I set my MEP to receive on Channel 16.  I can still USE channel 16 for other things, but I just can’t send certain instructions or the MEP will think they’re for itself.  It takes a little learning to figure the thing out, but it is EXTREMELY flexible.  I can’t believe no one makes such a useful beast anymore…

It can do lots of things (Translate one CC to another, change Velocity curves, transpose, even do some limited stuff in a SysEx stream).

I use mine to convert Breath Controller data to Note On / Velocity mapping and BC to CC7 translation so I can use my WX5 on Non-BC native voices in my RACK ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 03, 2008 @ 03:03 PM
imaband
Total Posts:  58
Joined  07-22-2003

Re: Controlling the Controller

Yeah, I actually have a MOTU MIDI Express that will at least move note pitches around in real time (for the transpose part of it). Not sure about how to achieve a split with it though. I just don’t want to lug more to a gig than I have to but I guess I can’t have my cake and eat it too.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Replacement parts
Next Topic:

Motif Rack OS Update and Multi Part Editor ››