mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Program Change in Song Mode"

Posted on: October 31, 2008 @ 05:57 AM
muscarella
Total Posts:  542
Joined  11-01-2003

How would I go about inserting a change of voice into an existing track in Song/Mix mode?  For instance, halfway through the song I want the Full Grand voice on track 5 to switch to Dave’s B and then back again 12 bars later.  Is this a Bank/PC MIDI message that can only be done in SMF mode or can I accomplish this with some combination of Song/Pattern/Mixing editing? 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2008 @ 07:10 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Re: Program Change in Song Mode

You have the Motif ES, correct? If so…

In song or pattern mode, select the song you want to edit.
Figure out the measure and beat numbers where you want to insert the changes. Make a note, and Press Edit
Press the track select button 5 (the track you want to edit).
You can use the up and down arrow keys to run the sequence, note by note to find the exact spot.
Press F5 Insert
Change the Event Type to “Program Change”
Enter the correct Bank MSB/LSB/Program Change values. (hint - you can see this if you select the voice you want in mix mode. USER 1 is MSB 63 / LSB 8. USER 2 is MSB 63 / LSB 9.
Press F6 Set.

Page 225 in the manual. If you get a rough sound cut off type sound when the change occurs, you will have to allow some more time for the program change to take place. Be sure you are not sending a sustain message (CC64), etc.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 31, 2008 @ 09:01 PM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

SpongeBob,

I DO have an ES.

I tried your method.  Using Song/Edit I inserted a PC (Dave’s B) at the exact measure/beat and hit Set.  So far so good. When I “tap” through the note events, I can hear that the voice is now Dave’s B. BUT when I rewind to the top of the Song—or use the back buttons even—the full grand is gone, every note is now voicing as Dave’s B.  Is there another step necessary?  Do I have to add a Full Grand PC into the list at the top of the Song, too? 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2008 @ 02:11 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Did you insert a second PC to set the track back to the Full Grand Voice at the end of the 12 bars?  Don’t forget that the first PC changed the Voice on the track, so if you go back to the place before the PC was inserted, the Voice will still remain changed. You have to actually set it back so that the ES knows what to play on that track.

So, to be clear, you need to run the sequence through from the first PC (the track now plays Dave’s B), to the second PC (the track now plays Full Grand), to get the piano back.  If you stop in the middle and wind back without passing (and thus activating) the second PC, then the track will remain set to Dave’s B.  It’s the same with cc’s.

You could certainly set a PC at the top of the Song, but that would only be necessary if you did not let the Song pass the second PC that is inserted in the track after the 12 bars of Dave’s B.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2008 @ 08:09 AM
muscarella
Joined  11-01-2003

Thanks.  I will try that and report back. 

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Need Motif ES Midi Drum Patterns due to stolen ES
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››