mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "question on update"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: October 27, 2008 @ 11:44 AM
miden
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-22-2005

Just wanted to ask if anything else was being done “behind the scenes” on this update?

Thanks to Yamaha for taking the time to provide it, and it is only a question, NOT a complaint.

It seems that 3 hours to process the update seems a trifle long to JUST add the ability to recall multis via midi?

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2008 @ 12:51 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: question on update

The operating system is huge 70MB - and adding something means rewriting the entire thing. MIDI song data which is typically very small - you write a long song and it is maybe 100KB in size… so imagine playing back a song that is 70MB and you have the 2 hours and 35 minutes it will take to upload the operating system.

Make sure your computer is not scheduled to something not related to playing back music (no sleep, hibernate, or automatic scanning etc., etc.)… We recommend going to bed and sleeping yourself - or watching a movie while it chugs away. Also make sure your (computer) sequencer is not set to filter SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE data - that would prevent the update from being sent.

Because there is no USB “To Device” port on the Rack XS - the file must be played to the Motif-Rack XS via a MIDI Song file…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2008 @ 04:05 PM
miden
Total Posts:  618
Joined  09-22-2005

Cool, thanks for the info BM, that makes sense.
I had also forgotten/overlooked there was no “To Device” port.

As I said it was not a complaint in any way, and I would like to repeat that a big thanks goes to you and the team at Yamaha for providing this critical update, and for free as well!!

Awesome.

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2008 @ 05:15 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

I appreciate the software update as well, but I’m going to wait until I see John Melas’ software to see if can save all of my edited multi’s with his product. I have a bunch saved on the Rack, but no way to save them using the Yamaha editor software before wiping everything out with the OS update.

Voices won’t be a problem as you can save those to user banks and reload after the update. But not so with the multis…

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2008 @ 06:20 AM
JonathanTimeBandit
Joined  06-03-2008

O M G

The only way to update a 70MB OS is via MIDI? And the inability to do otherwise is not considered some basic design flaw?

You just have to laugh, because otherwise you’ll cry.

ANYWAY, It’s nice to have the update. Thanks Yamaha for putting forth an effort to support your customers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2008 @ 01:34 PM
JonathanTimeBandit
Joined  06-03-2008

The readme.txt says that Cubase is a REQUIREMENT to load this update ... nice.

Soooo ... I have to install an entire sequencer program, (one that I don’t use) go through the gigantic hassle that is Steinberg Registration, and then play a MIDI file at 120BPM for 3 hours to update my Rack XS.

Seriously ... does anyone at Yamaha even THINK about things like this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2008 @ 04:38 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Not true...I used Sonar and it worked fine..

All you need is ANY sequencer capable of transmitting sysex.

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2008 @ 07:20 PM
JonathanTimeBandit
Joined  06-03-2008

OK, glad to know it worked fine for you with another sequencer ... doesn’t change what the readme file says.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 28, 2008 @ 11:33 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

Yes the readme file is a bit misleading isn’t it..

I have updated Yamaha products before via midi, so I never really thoroughly read the readme file.

Yamaha could possibly amend it to say AI4 (or sequencer of choice),

Although I suspect they cannot guarantee succes with another sequencer as they can with their own??

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2008 @ 01:45 PM
JonathanTimeBandit
Joined  06-03-2008

Unfortunately for me, Ableton LIVE does not support SYSEX, and I can’t see my self jumping throgh hoops to install Cubase and run through the truly awful Steinberg registration process just to update my Rack XS.

Sooooo .... I’ll be trying this with Reaper. If it works well, that might be an option for others.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2008 @ 08:01 PM
miden
Joined  09-22-2005

From memory, I also think windows media player (v10+) will also work, as I seem to recall doing a Yamaha update a couple of years ago using WMP.
Perhaps BM can chime in with a small list of sequencers that do work??

Dennis

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2008 @ 09:58 PM
keytarhero
Total Posts:  305
Joined  07-03-2008

For Mac users:

Sysex Librarian is free, small, and very easy to use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2008 @ 05:08 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

If setting up Cubase is too difficult to handle, yes, Windows Media Player will work ... it will simply play it back the file for you. You just have to make sure that Winodws is set to send MIDI data on the MIDI port going to the Rack XS.  Any MIDI sequencer can be used - of course, it must at least has to be able to send System Exclusive information.

The key things to know is that it takes quite some time and you must not have soemthing that will disturb playback (like hibernation or sleep mode or some internet automatic update, etc., etc.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2008 @ 08:54 AM
JonathanTimeBandit
Joined  06-03-2008

Awesome advice, Phil ... what would Yamaha do without you?

BTW ~ It’s not a question of “too difficult”, it’s a matter of a silly set of requirements resulting from poor design decisions. Thankfully, you are here to offer meaninful and sensible alternatives.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2008 @ 04:12 PM
JonathanTimeBandit
Joined  06-03-2008

Windows Media Player worked just fine for me ... thank you Miden and Phil for the advice!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 01, 2008 @ 04:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

“poor design decisions” ???? security is never a poor design decision - it is, alas, simply a necessary reality… it seems to only really bother those who seek to circumvent it…

anyway Windows Media Player is simple, comes installed (mostly) and almost foolproof /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif XS Rack for live performances?
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››