mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "HERE’S A LOGIC 8, MLAN, XS TUTORIAL"

Posted on: October 24, 2008 @ 10:43 PM
motif8mine
Total Posts:  1743
Joined  10-22-2004

In response to requests for an MLAN tutorial for the XS, I thought I’d try to help.

There is a somewhat, simpler way of setup, but it does not address the advantage of having the names of the XS patches within Logic, which makes selecting voices far easier.

The entire process really doesn’t take more than a couple of minutes. Of course the reading and comprehension will add significantly to that time..

I would only ask that you respond after using the tutorial so that other users might be able to judge its usefulness and that I might be able to determine whether I left something out…

Download the attachment… Download attachment from my reply instead

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 25, 2008 @ 09:42 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: MLAN, XS TUTORIAL

There are four links in the PDF file that weren’t easy to identify because they were in black type. I’ve changed them to blue in this revised attachment…

They are as follows:

1) Link to Bad Mister’s ‘ QUICK SETUP GUIDE: Firewire/mLAN Macintosh ’ for the XS.

2) Link to Bad Mister’s ‘ Motif XS: mLAN AUDIO SETUP Tutorial

3) Link to ’ Yamaha’s XS ‘ Download page…

4) Link to ’ Bienlein-music’s ‘ ‘Yamaha XS Environment.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 16, 2008 @ 05:34 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

Even though I linked to Bad Mister’s MLAN Audio Setup, one thing I failed to note was the necessity of downloading the latest MLAN driver for your particular OS…

Also, though Logic is my main DAW, I tend to tinker in Pro Tools (quite a bit) and, Cubase AI (every now a then) … So, while it is not necessary to load the AI or USB / MIDI driver, I do tend to use them from time to time. And, it’s good to have them loaded so that they will be there, if you need them…

Here is a link to that MLAN DRIVER

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 08:03 PM
gustavimprov
Total Posts:  59
Joined  01-16-2009

yeah,
good lookin out- i finely got this thing to work.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 07:46 PM
tce
Total Posts:  4
Joined  03-18-2008

Re: HERE’S A LOGIC 8, MLAN, XS TUTORIAL

HI,
Thanks for the Logic and XS integration workflow.
I downloaded and play around with it.  I like it.

When open with Logic 8, it asked for the Midi Port 3 which I think you used as some other type of MIDI other than Mlan Port3.  The system fix itself for this.

Is there any specific of altering in environment or Logix that you have setup....? If yes then what is it.

CAN YOU PRESENT A WORKFLOW FOR.

Midi Recording.
Audio Recording. for now.

What I mean is after the XS in the REMOTE ( Logic remote).
Then how do you operate it with it.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 01:45 PM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

What I mean is after the XS in the REMOTE ( Logic remote).
Then how do you operate it with it.

Wrapped up in backing up my system and re-cataloging my work, I’ll get back to you in a day or two....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 29, 2009 @ 09:33 AM
motif8mine
Joined  10-22-2004

TCE, sorry it took so long to get back to you…

Is there any specific of altering in environment or Logix that you have setup....? If yes then what is it.

I have created my own template based on the way I work which is somewhat different from the one I posted a link to. It first of all is much leaner and initially contains the 8 external instrument tracks I use most often- An S700 Piano, Bass, Electric piano, Synth Lead, Drum, Horns, strings, Organ. 

So, right off the bat, I can work with either an uptempo song or ballad and pretty much sketch out the entire song before I have to change an instrument… I keep my environment fairly empty until I have to add something specific. As I mentioned in the tutorial, when the XS is setup in AMS, you can record Audio and MIDI via MLAN without ever having to touch the environment…

So, the only work I’ve done in the environment is to setup the XS voice banks. Which I need to redo since I’ve have added the XSpand Your World User Bank.

So, when I start a new project, I open my template by pressing Command +N and add Audio Tracks and Software instrument tracks as needed. Also, I have setup another template in the XS Editor which recalls my MLAN Track assignments in order to record audio. And, for simplicity sake, I go track for track- meaning my piano is always track 1 in both audio and midi; bass- trk 2, elect piano- trk #3, lead synth, trk#8, drums- trk #10 etc…

I’ve hidden 8 stereo audio tracks in the arrangement, which also contain input assignments set to the corresponding Mlan tracks which I toggle on or off (hide / unhide). This way I can always record my basic arrangements from the XS in Logic without having to adjust anything…

The most important thing about using the Logic Remote on the XS is making sure that the Midi out port is set correctly. If it isn’t, Not much beyond the transport will function properly. You do this by selecting from the toolbar:  Preferences> Global>Control Surfaces>Setup and make sure the Out Port is set to your MLAN channel 2

I don’t know if this is helpful or not but, if you have a specific question about any of it, I’ll be happy to explain a little more in detail…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A way to control more than 8 AU parameters?
Next Topic:

MOTIF XS8 and Logic ››