mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I need Help with Mixing…Too Flat!"

Posted on: October 23, 2008 @ 09:38 PM
Young Producer
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-23-2008

I’ve searched and searched, and I never seem to find I a good article on mixing, especially for the Motif Es. I make Hip-Hop and Rap tracks. Making the instrumental isn’t hard, but mixing is what take up so much time. Usually I find that my final mix is flat and has no depth. How can I get my mix to sound rich and full of depth?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2008 @ 11:54 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Re: I need Help with Mixing...Too Flat!

It’s not a plug and play job, especially if you want to sound as professional. Anyway, there are lot of video tutorials on mixing like Yamaha’s “Exploring Sound Reinforcement”. This is general mixing advices, but it is very usefull for understanding how to make a good mix. There are also a several DVD’s you could buy from Motifator.com (see http://motifator.com/mart/Videos.htm#recording). For Motif, you should try some DVD’s from Motifator.com like “Get Motifated”. I have all 3 DVD’s for Motif and there are several tips and tricks that you couldn’t find in manual (or it could take a lot of time).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 08, 2008 @ 04:59 AM
gaggy87
Total Posts:  87
Joined  08-02-2006

I too suffered from the same problem once. Spending money on mixing tutorials is certainly not a smart thing to do, i’m sure you’re not that dumb. All i can advice you is to use a compressor (master effect) and do a little equalising for the effects you feel sound flat. You certainly won’t get the quality that you hear on cd’s but if you equalise properly, you certainly will hear a difference. I do a little bit of composing myself, if you feel like listening, search for my posts on Mo Songs. Hope this helps you.. Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 06:59 AM
Total Posts:  60
Joined  12-08-2006

When you say ‘flat”. Do you mean in an EQ sense. While in Song or Pattern I go to the mixing/effect/MEQ and adj the EQ to add bass and treb to the over all sound. As far as “mixing"...While" mixing” I add effects,volume and place the different tracks in the stereo space (left-right)

Hope this is of some help

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 02:26 AM
Young Producer
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-23-2008

Usually in pattern mode I load my own samples in the motif, but they sound weak at times. When I use the MEQ OFFSET boost the low til about 25+ it sometimes sound bassy or too low. I often raise the volume of my drums and use MultibndComp and Set it to “ Full Bit “ Th. Of -10. But then my drums sound to mellow. I want my drums to Punch, any other suggestions?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 12:29 PM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

The website below is a huge resource.  I’d go here and start reading the tutorials. The Forums are also a good resource; one is dedicated to the ES.

[url=http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm]http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 07:41 PM
mustbthemix
Total Posts:  964
Joined  01-02-2004

Mixing is a ( art, craft, skill ) and is not a formula.
It would be unwise to follow someone’s advice how to mix your music, in comparison with their music.
I have fell into this same trap before myself.
You desire more depth = Reverb
You desire more punch = compression
You desire ( In Your Face Mix ) = limiter, soft- clipper
experiment and use your ears, don’t give up! because it’s a tedious process. try avoiding mixing with bass heavy monitors/speakers, they will only give you a false impression of your mix.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif classic to ES conversion
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››