mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Waveform to User Drums….How??"

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 08:23 AM
GreenMachine
Total Posts:  66
Joined  02-13-2008

Ok i just updated my Motif XS for the 1st time the other day......(Thank You Yamaha) now I’m told that I can use my own wave files and create my own Drums!!!!! sounds great to me because I have been sampling drums from my old drum machine into waveforms for the Motif. I can load these waveforms and all the sounds that I sampled are there. my question is this......

How can I convert my waveform of drum sounds into a User Drum Voice???  and after doing so will the User Voice and all the sounds in the voice still be there if I turn the Motif Off/On ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 01:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Waveform to User Drums....How??

The update, if you are referring to version 1.10.21 ...it did not add the ability to sample your own drums. That has always been there!

The best way to create your own Drum Kits is to sample or load your waveforms directly into a USER DRUM KIT Voice. For a step-by-step:

Please see this thread on Drum kits .

will the User Voice and all the sounds in the voice still be there if I turn the Motif Off/On ?

No. Samples are housed in volatile RAM, and this RAM will always disappear when you power down. You simply have to create a “Start Up” routine… much like you computer’s volatile RAM, it is cleared when you remove power, and much like your computer, you can create and customize a START UP routine that automatically loads the components you want to have loaded.

In the Motif XS we call this an “AUTO LOAD"… make sense?

So when you have created your User Drum Kit Voice and have everything just as you like it, you must STORE that Voice to a USER DRUM bank location and then SAVE (back it up) to either an ALL data file (.X0A) which saves everything or to an ALL VOICE data file (.X0V) which saves all USER VOICES… to a USB drive.

You can then teach your Motif XS to load this file every time you power up your unit. Here’s how:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF4] AUTO LOAD
Set AUTO LOAD = ON

AUTO LOAD
Determines whether the Auto Load function is on or off.
When this is on, the instrument will automatically load the
specified files (from the USB storage device) to User
memory—whenever the power is turned on. The file to be
loaded is shown on this display. The file to be loaded can
be specified via the [SF5] SELECT button.

When you press SELECT> you can then navigate to the file you want the XS to load automatically on power up.
Press [ENTER] to select the file.

Finally press [STORE] to write your UTILITY mode preferences to Flash ROM.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 02:55 PM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

You can then teach your Motif XS to load this file every time you power up your unit. Here’s how:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF4] AUTO LOAD
Set AUTO LOAD = ON

AUTO LOAD
Determines whether the Auto Load function is on or off.
When this is on, the instrument will automatically load the
specified files (from the USB storage device) to User
memory—whenever the power is turned on. The file to be
loaded is shown on this display. The file to be loaded can
be specified via the [SF5] SELECT button.

When you press SELECT> you can then navigate to the file you want the XS to load automatically on power up.
Press [ENTER] to select the file.

Finally press [STORE] to write your UTILITY mode preferences to Flash ROM.

Am I correct that you can’t autoload from a PC harddrive?  It would be nice if the Autoload feature allowed you to mount your hard drive...which is where I keep all my files for the Motif.  Apparently there is no way to do this now. 

Next upgrade???  Please?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 07:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Am I correct that you can’t autoload from a PC harddrive? It would be nice if the Autoload feature allowed you to mount your hard drive...which is where I keep all my files for the Motif. Apparently there is no way to do this now.

Next upgrade??? Please?

Apparently you haven’t tried it!!!

This actually can be done, right now, via Ethernet. Try it.

This was implemented some time ago. (Well it can be done on the Windows PC)… currently Macintosh OSX has broken the protocol.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2008 @ 04:35 AM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

Setting Up Autoload (was waveform to usr drums)

Apparently you haven’t tried it!!!

This actually can be done, right now, via Ethernet. Try it.

This was implemented some time ago. (Well it can be done on the Windows PC)… currently Macintosh OSX has broken the protocol.

I use the ethernet connection all the time to mount my harddrive in FILE mode.  That’s how I SAVE and LOAD all my different XO* files.

But, when setting up AUTOLOAD, there’s no mount feature.  It doesn’t see the ethernet connection or something.  The manual doesn’t mention it either...only speaks of autloading off the USB storage. 

Now, what I did discover is that if I first go to FILE mode and MOUNT my hard drive there, then go back to the UTILITY mode to set up AUTOLOAD, then it does “see” the ethernet connection. And I can select the file I want to AUTOLOAD, and it appears in the little space below the AUTOLOAD ON line on the screen.  That suggests to me that if you’re trying to set up AUTOLOAD for the first time, and you haven’t mounted your hard drive via the ethernet during this session, and you want to set up AUTOLOAD via the ethernet connection, then you first need to go to FILE mode and MOUNT so the Motif can “see” the connection properly to set up the AUTOLOAD.  Then when you go back to the UTILITY mode, you can make your selection as it be there. 

Further it is very important when you’ve made your selection to hit STORE. 

The “hidden” step then is to first use FILE mode to MOUNT the hard drive on intial AUTOLOAD set up.  Unless I missed it, that step isn’t mentioned anywhere I can find in the manual. The note on page 262 with the AUTOLOAD instructions does say to remember to hit STORE. 

I’d recommend that in a future upgrade, just make it possible to do the mount directly from the AUTOLOAD set up screen as well as the FILE mode screen to avoid confusion.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 18, 2008 @ 12:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Setting Up Autoload (was waveform to usr drums)

I’d recommend that in a future upgrade, just make it possible to do the mount directly from the AUTOLOAD set up screen as well as the FILE mode screen to avoid confusion.

I’m not sure why that is necessary. As you would have to establish communication with your computer anyway prior to SELECTing an AUTO LOAD file. Same as you do with a USB drive. With a USB drive, I admit, the communication is easily established simply by plugging it in. The Ethernet communication is a bit more involved… But I’m no expert on Ethernet protocol but it seems that establishing the Ethernet communication would always (and quite naturally) proceed the need to establish an AUTO LOAD.

What is the scenario? ... you are working on a song or programming Voices, and you want to SAVE your data… So you save your data directly to your computer… don’t you have to create the FILE first, before you establish it as one you want to AUTO LOAD… so once that is established why then do you need to establish it again on the AUTO LOAD setup routine?

Just curious… in case the engineers ask me why anyone would need this…

The manual was written before this AUTO LOAD via Ethernet was available so it only mentions USB… you now know you can do so via Ethernet as well.

Let us know.

By the way, any changes you make to your UTILITY mode settings must be STORED to FLASH - and is probably the reason most AUTO LOAD setups fail… But it applies to all UTILITY mode functions you want as part of your SYSTEM. These Utility mode setting are your “Preferences”

Also of huge importance - I’ll mention it here because we are discussing VERY IMPORTANT things to know: Until you update all your previously made ALL data files (.X0A) you will have to continually re-establish and Mount your computer…
Take your older ALL data files and you should load via the LOAD options: “all without system”. This way the data loads in but your current (Ethernet established Network settings included) remain undisturbed

Then re-SAVE them (by Overwriting the file they came from) with your new preferences in tact. Make sense?

If you load an older ALL data file it will change your UTILITY mode settings to the previously stored preferences and this can play havoc with you mind… as you will swear you STORED in one way and now its back to a previous setup.

When I power on my computer, it turns on my mLAN driver (AUTO ON) and I then power on my Motif XS (with an AUTO LOAD routine set for the computer) - the Ethernet communication is already established and the XS loads my data. But remember you must update all your ALL data files with your current UTILITY mode preferences or you will have to re-establish your Ethernet each time (that can get old)…

Let us know.
Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 2 questions on recording functions
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››