mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "2 questions on recording functions"

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 07:02 AM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

Question 1 deals with recording AF controls on a track.  I laid down an arp’d acoustic guitar track that has AF1&2 functions. In this case Pre-2 D03, High Tension AF1&2.  I used arp 1373 and laid down a track.  Now, I want to go back a add in the AF switches at strategic points in the track.  I played the track back and practiced a few times to get my timing right, so that the mute and harmonic functions sounded right.  But when I set the track for overdub record, I can’t hear the track playback.  How do I do this? Do I need to record the AF switching on a separte track and then combine them back to one track?

Question 2: Is there a way to do spot effects?  By that I mean the following.  I want to add some delay on the above track...but not for the entire track...only at certain points in the sequence.  On a DAW this is easy to accomplish by automating the effect send within the track the send bus is on.  What’s the equivalent in the Motif sequencer?  I can’t find it in the manual, or perhaps I’m looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 09:32 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: 2 questions on recording functions

Question 1 deals with recording AF controls on a track. I laid down an arp’d acoustic guitar track that has AF1&2 functions. In this case Pre-2 D03, High Tension AF1&2. I used arp 1373 and laid down a track. Now, I want to go back a add in the AF switches at strategic points in the track. I played the track back and practiced a few times to get my timing right, so that the mute and harmonic functions sounded right. But when I set the track for overdub record, I can’t hear the track playback. How do I do this? Do I need to record the AF switching on a separte track and then combine them back to one track?

We just tried what you described and it works fine.

Question 2: Is there a way to do spot effects? By that I mean the following. I want to add some delay on the above track...but not for the entire track...only at certain points in the sequence. On a DAW this is easy to accomplish by automating the effect send within the track the send bus is on. What’s the equivalent in the Motif sequencer? I can’t find it in the manual, or perhaps I’m looking at the wrong thing.

You can automate the effects by simply inputting the proper Control Change messages at the appropriate times. You can do this manually by pressing EDIT and entering cc093 CHORUS SEND (assuming you set the Chorus processor for you time delay effect).
Say you set the MIXING programs Chorus processor to a Tempo Cross Delay. You can either INSERT cc093 messages in the track (thus automating the Chorus Send for that Part) or you can Overdub record yourself moving the dedicated Chorus Send knob in the MULTI PART CONTROL area of the front panel for the track in question.

Alternatively you can assign an Insertion Effect to the VOICE and use a real time controller (via the CONTROL SET) like a knob or the Assignable Function buttons to bring the effect in and out at the appropriate times.

It is, in theory, exactly the same as you describe in a DAW - you automate the Effect send, except that instead of using a mouse or your QWERTY keyboard you use knobs or buttons.

If you need more help with this give us an idea of what effect algorithm you wish to use.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 17, 2008 @ 10:43 AM
Donald-M
Total Posts:  666
Joined  11-08-2007

Re: 2 questions on recording functions

Thanks Phil.  Question 2...Okay that makes sense.  Question 1...hmmm...wonder why I had a problem.  any how, I just tried again, and this time it worked.  Not sure what was happening!!  Weird. 

Oh well!!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ need some advice on cubase ai4 installation
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››