mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A few questions"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 05:22 AM
bvogel
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-26-2002

Here is a list of things I can’t find answers to. Any more info is greatly appreciated. You guys never cease to amaze me. Very nice work. Brian

1. What about file transfer over MLAN. Will we be able to transfer samples, songs, voice data, performance, and etc. between ES and a PC/MAC over MLAN ?

From the interview with Athan Billias
<<>>

2. Does this mean the ES Triple Strike Piano has soundboard resonance, half pedaling, and keyoff samples. And if yes, can you edit them as you can on the P250?

<>>

3. Does this mean if your a playing a chord progression you can have a bass follow (aka. auto accompaniment) ?

4. Will the Mo8ES mount on a LP3 stand?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 06:16 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Re: A few questions

1. What about file transfer over MLAN. Will we be able to transfer samples, songs, voice data, performance, and etc. between ES and a PC/MAC over MLAN ?

mLAN does not currently support file transfer.

2. Does this mean the ES Triple Stike has soundboard resonance, half pedaling, and keyoff samples. And if yes, can you edit them as you can on the P250?

No , the Motif ES is a 4 element system like the Motif.  So it waveforms are taken from the same sampling session as the P250, but they are different in size and the ES does not have any of the special piano specific features like keyoff samples , etc.

As we have siad before there are two different sound engines. The piano sound engine is focused on pianos , but it does not have the range and breadth of sounds that you will find on the Motif or Motif ES.

3. Does this mean if your a playing a chord progression you can have a bass follow (aka. accompaniment) ?

Yes, if you have a major bass pattern and play a minor chord it will adjust the third, fifths and seventh to what you are playing.  The only limitation is that you need to play the chord in root position ( the chord note on the bottom).  Unlike auto accompaniment keyboards, the Motif ES is not designed for using this for live playing, but more for creating your music,

4. Will the Mo8ES mount on a LP3 stand?
We will check , but it is the same exact size as the Motif 8.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 09:41 AM
bvogel
Joined  07-26-2002

<<<>>

Will MLAN support file transfer? Will it require MLAN 3? If MLAN supports file transfer would the ES support it too?
Thanks, Brian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 01:05 PM
bvogel
Joined  07-26-2002

Bump. Please expand on this topic. Brian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 02:48 PM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

File transfer is on the long term road map for mLAN , but we don’t know when it will be available.  At least for the ES , you should consider it as having only the storage devices currently supported ( Smarft Media and USB ).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 07:09 PM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-25-2002

Brian,
I think AIEB2 slot just misses the direct conection to CPU RAM, just like PLG misses FX and data busses, so it can’t be done right now. Have to wait until mLan is on mainboard. I wish it were USB2.0 or FireWire though…

Yamaha_US,
two more questions. I suppose external USB storage devices cannot be daisy-chained to work together. But can you hot-plug devices while Motif is powered on? If not, what’s the procedure for importing sample CDs and then storing sample data on HDD then?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 08:05 PM
Richard_Saunders
Joined  07-01-2003

These are great issues. In practical terms:

1) How long would it take to transfer 512 megabytes of sample data via USB (either from an external USB drive or from a PC) to the Motif ES?

2) Is there an intermediary step, i.e. does sample data have to be transferred from the USB device to a SmartMedia card, etc. and then transferred to sample ram? (This appears to be the way the Fantom-S is designed - bummer!)

3) How elegant is the process? How much control does the user have over organizing samples into a file structure on the storage device (external USB drive or PC)?

Thank you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 08:28 PM
Mike_Martin
Joined  01-10-2003

1.  As was posted earlier by Yamaha_US, benchmark testing will be done and the results will be posted here at Motifator.com

I believe that you might be misunderstanding the way the USB hosting works.  The USB host port is for connecting USB hard drives (CD-ROM, thumb drives...etc) directly to the Motif itself.  This does not allow you to use your computer’s hard drive, or allow you to move files from a computer to the Motif ES.

2.  The USB host drive will function just like the SmartMedia and the previous SCSI port on the Motif does. 

3.  Again the process is essentially identical to the current Motif filing system.  See this link for more info -

[url=http://www.motifator.com/motif678/btm/faq.php#4]http://www.motifator.com/motif678/btm/faq.php#4 [/url]

-Mike Martin
Yamaha US

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 08:30 PM
Mike_Martin
Joined  01-10-2003

two more questions. I suppose external USB storage devices cannot be daisy-chained to work together. But can you hot-plug devices while Motif is powered on? If not, what’s the procedure for importing sample CDs and then storing sample data on HDD then?

We’ll be doing some testing with USB hubs and will let you know the results.

-Mike Martin
Yamaha US

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 08:34 PM
Richard_Saunders
Joined  07-01-2003

Thanks, Mike. Great support from Yamaha, as I’ve observed on this forum since its inception. Bummer that you can’t transfer/organize sample data on a PC and transfer directly to Motif, but understandable.

So you simply purchase an external USB hard drive or CD-ROM drive, etc… and transfer direct to Motif. BTW I did find the other post that mentioned file transfer time. Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 08:45 PM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

Yeah that is a bummer Even a front end for the motif on the puter would be GREAT.  I have spent hours mapping and adusting samples in the little screen.  It’s Nuts.  the results are pretty darned good though.  You can get my Sax sample at Mo’Town, It’s in the “Voices” areas and is called Mo’tenor though saxman tells me it’s a bari sax.

[url=http://motif.falldowngoboom.org/]http://motif.falldowngoboom.org/ [/url]

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 11:27 AM
Richard_Saunders
Joined  07-01-2003

The Fantom-S seems to be much more integrated with the computer as regards sample transfer. I’m suprised Yamaha didn’t upgrade this feature.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 11:31 AM
bvogel
Joined  07-26-2002

Yep, this is the deal breaker for me. MLAN file transfers are the logical choice. It is just silly to have to have one USB for the editor on your PC and one USB for storage. You can’t transfer file directly from your PC to the ES. Unplug this plugin that, crash, boom, bang. I’ll pass. Brian

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 12:42 PM
Asthenia
Joined  12-12-2002

Another question.

Can Motif ES sampler import 24bit wavs?

A/D Conversion 20-bit?????, 64 x oversampling
D/A Conversion 24-bit, 128 x oversampling
Sample Data Bits 16?????

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 01:00 PM
Xman
Joined  04-06-2004

USB Switch

Just buy a $49 USB Switch…

Switch the external hard drive so that it’s used by the Motif ES...when you’re done saving (or loading) press a button on the switch so that your PC or Mac sees the drive now…

The external drive will mount just like the Fantom-S mounts as a drive, and you can transfer your files.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 02:36 PM
Mike_Martin
Joined  01-10-2003

Re: USB Switch

Yep, this is the deal breaker for me. MLAN file transfers are the logical choice. It is just silly to have to have one USB for the editor on your PC and one USB for storage. You can’t transfer file directly from your PC to the ES. Unplug this plugin that, crash, boom, bang. I’ll pass. Brian

Brian,
We’ve been testing several USB “thumb” drives around here for a couple months now.  They are as transparent as removing a smart media card.  We plug them into the computer, move some files over then unplug it and take it over the Motif ES.  I haven’t experienced any problems like that (even on this lovely Win98 computer).

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Not impressed
Next Topic:

About the exchange program... ››