mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Octave Question"

Posted on: October 14, 2008 @ 01:23 PM
karlman23
Total Posts:  167
Joined  09-30-2007

In performance mode, I have a piano/bass split. Is there a way that when I hit the “octave up” or “octave down” button, only the piano changes octaves and not the bass?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2008 @ 03:58 PM
prokeysman
Total Posts:  101
Joined  02-05-2007

Re: Octave Question

No.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2008 @ 06:09 PM
SoundMuppet
Total Posts:  0
Joined  02-15-2006

But! If you are going to go through the process of hitting a button, you could set up masters with the split arranged over different octaves....does the same thing more or less.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 14, 2008 @ 07:42 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You can also select a Voice and program either of the Assignable Function switches to shift the “coarse tune” of all the voice elements
up (or down) by a value of 16, which shifts the voice an octave.
So for example, if you want the voice to shift up by an octave, you"element coarse tune”, and set
the depth to “+16”. 

Then, in Performance mode, you can disable the Assignable Function receive switch for any parts you don’t want to octave shift, so that when you press the Assignable Function Switch which controls the piano, the rest of the
parts don’t shift.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2008 @ 03:18 AM
Rob'n
Total Posts:  153
Joined  10-30-2007

I had the same solution as Dave (by the way, shouldn’t that be +12 ?).
I use the assignable button for an octave change in one sound, only problem I have is that it won’t go an octave down anymore, but I think it’s just my faulty programming and just have to look again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2008 @ 07:14 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

You might think the depth parameter should be set to “+12”, but
in fact you do have to set it to “+16”. Even I don’t know why that is,
but the values are not related to actual half-steps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2008 @ 08:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

When you do use Coarse Tuning you will notice some “munchkinization” of the sound, as you are stretching the pitch… it is not really the same as NOTE SHIFT… so beware.

The sound will get noticably thinner if you Coarse Tune +16 and will get noticably darker if you Coarse Tune -16, as if you where pitch bent the sample.

You might want to place your Voices into PARTS of a PERFORMANCE and use the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] function buttons to do your octave change.

Here’s an example:
Create a Performance with the following:

PART 1 = your Bass Voice
PART 2 = your Piano Voice (down an octave)
PART 3 = the same Piano Voice (one octave higher)

Use the NOTE SHIFT parameter with the PERFORMANCE Edit to Shift the Piano as you require
Press [EDIT]
Press Track [2] to view Part 2 parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
Set the NOTE SHIFT parameter up (+12) or down (-12) and octave as you require for one of the Piano Parts

Create you split so the Bass remains in your left hand and the two piano sounds are in your right hand.

[STORE] your Performance

When you are ready to play, call up the Performance and press the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] button
This turns your Track buttons [1]-[16] into the Performance Control functions.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/423317-Track%20Select.JPG

Buttons [9], [10] and [11] will become PART MUTE buttons, allowing you to mute the Part you don’t want to play. It takes about a minute to get the hang of it but when you want to start with the piano low, you can press [11] to MUTE the octave up Piano.... now with two fingers you can now simultaneously press [10] and [11] to switch between octaves.

The “two finger button press” technique will allow you to easily jump the octave whenever you wish. 

Hope that helps…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 15, 2008 @ 02:16 PM
karlman23
Total Posts:  167
Joined  09-30-2007

Thank you all, I will give these a try!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Any update on release of VSTi?
Next Topic: