mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I want to say Good work Yamaha, but have questions"

Posted on: July 01, 2003 @ 10:34 PM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

First
I think Yamaha has really listened to what we wanted, and really bent over backwards to meet those needs!!!  Nearly everything we asked for in our “dream MO” Threads has been implimented into this BEAST!!!

I do have a couple question though.

The specs may be incorrect but it appears that the Song memory is less on the ES.  I was told in sounds that that is not really the case and that the ES has twice the sequencer memory.  Is much of the ES’s sequencer memory eaten up by the new arps? Are the specs on the ES incorrect? Motif is listed with 259,000 notes, and the ES is listed as 226,000 Notes.

Second question. 
The manual says that the ES is USB 1.1 .  SM cards only hold 128 meg at a pop.  It takes me 4-5 minutes to fill the 64 Meg in the MO with samples through the SM card.  How can long will it take the ES to fill 512 Meg?  USB 1.1 is not any faster in my opinion.  It takes 9-11 minutes to unload a full 128 Meg SM card using my SM card reader and USB 1.1.  So I think it will take 30-45 minutes to load the full 512 Meg of sample memory???  That’s cant be.  Can you use MLan to load samples or files?  I know you can record them throught the Mlan but what about transfer??

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2003 @ 11:12 PM
Jimstang
Total Posts:  2431
Joined  07-25-2002

Re: I want to say Good work Yamaha, but have questions

Also On page 172 of the manual, it says up to 1 Gig of Sample memory?????  what that the original Idea?  1 gig or will 1 gig actually work but it’s hard to get it to work???

Jim

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2003 @ 11:20 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Jim,

Where did you pick up the Owner’s Manual for the Motif ES?

Thanks,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 12:00 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-25-2002

Behind The Manual section, go to up-right corner and select Motif ES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 02:47 AM
DmitryKo
Total Posts:  1483
Joined  07-25-2002

Re: USB speed

Jim,

I’d expect something like 1.5 Mbytes/sec for HDD transfer, 0.8 Mbytes/sec SmartMedia at best, so 512 Mbytes of RAM would load 6-10 minutes. Not any faster than current SCSI it seems, guess we should wait until mLan becomes standard to overcome this…

I think 1 Gbyte may be the addressing space limit… or a simple mis-type.

But why you have to install the modules in pairs - 128 notes at 88 Kbytes/sec each amounts to only 11 Mbytes/sec, don’t tell me they employed dual-channel memory controller, PC133 SDRAM rate of 1 Gbyte/sec is more than enough /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 05:51 AM
Yamaha_US
Total Posts:  2540
Joined  07-19-2002

Re: USB speed

The Motif ES USB hosting is USB1 , but by default supports USB 2 devices. As was true the Motif it is not the speed of transferring the data from a storage device to the Motif ES that determines the length of time it takes to store or load data , but the amount of time that is needed to transfer the data after it is received by the ES into the RAM memory that determines how long saving and loading takes.  In other words, it doesn’t matter what the transfer rate is , because once the data gets to Motif ES it has to be tranferred to RAM internally.

We will be doing the same kinds of bench mark test that we did with Motif and post them here. However we will say a couple of things now.  First , the engineers did improve a lot of things about the saving and loading process. This got rid of a number of issues that slowed the internal loading process down.

So as Dmitryko said you can transfer 1.5 MB per second to the Motif ES , but that does not directly equate to the time it takes to save and load data .  that is only transfer rate.

It will take us a while to do these test , so please be patient.  we will get you precise and accurate information as soon as we can.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 06:00 AM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Sequencer Memory

The sequencer memory of the Motif is 111,000 events and the memory of Motif ES is 226,000.  So the ES is more than twice the original Motif.  The specs for the old Motif on the new site are wrong and we will have Keyfax correct them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 02, 2003 @ 06:08 AM
airgordon
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-17-2003

Re: Sequencer Memory

Holy crap.  I just looked at the specs.  I wonder how much I could get for my MO 8 when I trade it in.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 12:47 PM
saxman28
Joined  08-14-2002

Motif 8 to Motif 8 ES...how much-upgrade?

Explain to me the path to upgrade my Motif 8 to the
Motif 8 ES.  Do I trade it in to any local music store and then pay the upgrade price to them or is there another solution?

How much does the upgrade cost - in my situation?

Is there a link explaining the upgrade, price and how to?

Alan Russell

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 01:10 PM
Dawntreader
Joined  05-16-2003

Re: Motif 8 to Motif 8 ES...how much-upgrade?

In some of the other Yamaha posts from yesterday, they seem to say that its not an upgrade program per se, they are just offering some incentives (perks) to help both the buyer and seller.

In one post they said we’d do best to sell on our own (rather than at a music store).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 01:26 PM
bvogel
Joined  07-26-2002

Here is the info. Brian

[url=http://www.motifator.com/upgrade/upgrade.php]http://www.motifator.com/upgrade/upgrade.php [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 01:56 PM
saxman28
Joined  08-14-2002

Dawntreader,

If that is the case, I’ll just build my Giga Libraries (far superior to any of the Motif 8 internal sounds) and use the Motif 8 as my master keyboard as future samples continue to improve. 

It appears to me that this is really a matter of chip switching and the case of the Motif 8 can remain the same.

Have you ever swapped a mother board out of a tower case?
Sound familiar?  I could be wrong here.

I would assume that the Mo-Bros that purchased the Motif Rack could very very feel that they were shafted here IMHO.

JMHO, others may differ..

Alan Russell

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 03, 2003 @ 02:09 PM
Yamaha_US
Joined  07-19-2002

Re: Motif 8 to Motif 8 ES...

The details of the incentives we are offering in the US are on the left hand side of the ES home page.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A Hint of new PLG?????
Next Topic:

I want an free upgrade!!! ››