mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "2 quick questions"

Posted on: October 06, 2008 @ 02:39 PM
thejackl
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-06-2006

Im a motif es user by the way. I have 2 questions that involve samples. Instead of using the slice job to chops up audio, i just copy the same sample over and over, editing the start and end points. My fist question the is; if i copy 1 sample to 5 different keys, is that taking up space in my ram?

My second question is still bugging me. I have 2 kickdrums, one being lowend heavy. I want to layer the 2 kicks in voice mode for my user drumkit. How do i go about doing that. Im not a beginner anymore and this seems like a simple process. I know how to layer voices in performances but not actual wav files in voice mode. Please help! lol

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 06, 2008 @ 10:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: 2 quick questions

Im a motif es user by the way. I have 2 questions that involve samples. Instead of using the slice job to chops up audio, i just copy the same sample over and over, editing the start and end points. My fist question the is; if i copy 1 sample to 5 different keys, is that taking up space in my ram?

Not sure. I cannot be sure because I’m not sure that you really mean you copied a sample to 5 different keys… (?) is that what you mean?

If you assign the same sample to 5 different KEYs in a Drum Kit that, of course, does not use any additional RAM but it would be the same sound (it would not have different start and end points)… You prefaced your question with that statement so I kind of think you mean: You are using COPY Job found in [JOB] KEY BANK. And are copying different regions of the original sample to different Key Banks… Yes that uses additional memory - as you are defining a region and copying that new region to a separate KEYBANK as a new sample within the same WAVEFORM. You can press the [INFORMATION] button to find out the status of your available RAM.

My second question is still bugging me. I have 2 kickdrums, one being lowend heavy. I want to layer the 2 kicks in voice mode for my user drumkit. How do i go about doing that. Im not a beginner anymore and this seems like a simple process. I know how to layer voices in performances but not actual wav files in voice mode. Please help! lol

You can assign the 2 Kick Drums to the same KEY BANK - this will layer them - it is that simple. I assume the kick drums are mono samples… any two mono samples can share the same KEY BANK.

A KEY BANK is defined as a Note Range (horizontally) and a Velocity Range (vertically). If you assign both Kick drum sounds to a single WAVEFORM and place them both on C3, for example, then they both will sound when you play C3.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2008 @ 10:16 AM
thejackl
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-06-2006

the 1st question:
I have a loop, i broke the loop into 5 sections across 5 keys so i can play the begining middle and end by hand instead of just triggering the sample and letting it play. Its only one sample i just used the copy function and adjusted the loop points. Since its the same sample, am i using up ram by copying it? Mind you im not trimming the samples i copy, just adjusting the loop points.

the 2nd question:
Ive loaded 2 drums into 1 keybank(from the load screen), but can i layer them say in voice mode? Like im creating a user drumkit. Also since were on the subject, can i adjust the starting points of the layer? So when i press the key, they dont play exactly at the same time, just a lil off sett.  Thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2008 @ 06:07 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

only one sample i just used the copy function and adjusted the loop points. Since its the same sample, am i using up ram by copying it? Mind you im not trimming the samples i copy, just adjusting the loop points.

Yes that uses additional memory - as you are defining a region and copying that new region to a separate KEYBANK as a new sample within the same WAVEFORM. You can press the [INFORMATION] button to find out the status of your available RAM.

Ive loaded 2 drums into 1 keybank(from the load screen), but can i layer them say in voice mode? Like im creating a user drumkit. Also since were on the subject, can i adjust the starting points of the layer? So when i press the key, they dont play exactly at the same time, just a lil off sett.

If you plan to use them in a standard Drum Kit Voice then as I outlined you simply place them on the same Keybank.

If you want to create a normal Voice you can place each sample in a separate Waveform (this is done in INTEGRATED SAMPLING) and then place each Waveform in an Element of a normal Voice (this is doen in VOICE EDIT). A normal VOICE has parameters that allow you to to delay key on.

While a normal Voice has 4 Elements - each Element can consist of 128 Multi samples and can be mapped to multiple keys across the keyboard; a drum Voice has 73 Elements and each Element occupies one key.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ keyboard volume in song mode
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››