mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "massively LOUDER volume on individual outputs?"

Posted on: October 03, 2008 @ 08:57 PM
pablomastodon
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-29-2008

First off, a very big THANX to so many helpful people in this forum.

I tried searching both with search engine and manually and was not able to find anything on this phenomenon:

Trying to set up multis with different parts going to different outputs to facilitate ease of control in my rack mixer (lead voices to L&R outs, pianos to OUT1, basses to OUT2).  I have the three input channels on my Ashly LX308B line mixer set identically at low (wife sleeping in other room) volume levels.  For some reason, when I make the change from L&R outs to OUT1 or OUT2 for any particular voice, the volume GOES THROUGH THE ROOF!  What was whisper quiet is suddenly endangering my speakers!

Poked around the manual and did find a global utility setting where it is possible to reduce output volume on L&R, 1&2, and 3&4 outputs respectively from +6dB to 0dB, but altering that setting does not even come close to correcting the sudden volume disparity between parts…

To get the volume to sane levels I have to use part volumes on the order or low 20’s or high teens.  This just doesn’t seem right....  Reducing dry level doesn’t seem to have any effect; where is this coming from?

Anyone?

Pablo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2008 @ 01:25 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: massively LOUDER volume on individual outputs?

The PARTS routed to the main L&R Output go through the analog output volume control… the PARTS assigned to the assignable outputs are going directly out at 0dB or +6dB depending on how you have that set.

The individual PARTS are always controlled by the PART VOLUME parameter. It is just that when you have them going to the L&R OUTPUT SELECT - they go through the analog volume control on the front panel.

When you take them out of the mix and route them to the assignable outputs they are only controlled by the PART VOLUME parameter cc007. That is correct. The main VOLUME control no longer influences them… this is correct.

To properly set a balance between your analog output and your individual output, you would need to raise the output VOLUME knob on the Motif Rack ES (which will affect only the PARTS assigned “L&R"… if there is such a tremendous difference you obviously do not have it turned up much and you must be boosting on the mixer side of things. You can afford to send more signal from the Motif Rack ES.

If your line mixer has some kind of level meter you will want to work it out so that the L&R OUTPUT signal matches that of the ASSIGNABLE OUTPUT signals when both are set the same in the Motif Rack ES.

Just realize that it is not the individual outputs that are out of whack… it is the fact that you have the L&R OUTPUT (the main volume control of the Motif Rack ES set so very low in comparison).

You may in fact have to turn the Motif-Rack ES volume up quite a bit and then adjust all signals down at your mixer.
If you use a steady tone and a meter you will quickly be able to match the L&R OUTPUT volume to match the Assignable output volume… Then use your line mixer to make them all the same so you do not blast yourself out with one or the other.

Assignable output bypass the analog Volume control.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif Rack and MM6 Integration
Next Topic:

ES Rack and Cubase LE.... ››