mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transferral of Song/Pattern data from USB stick"

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 05:21 PM
micaofboca
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-28-2004

I have a dozen songs I sequenced and recorded in both Song and Pattern modes and subsequently saved onto a little USB flashstick.  When I put the USB drive into a port on my computer (a Sweetwater Creation Station) I enter a whole directory of the contents on to the computer, but how do I get those into Sonar?  You’ll forgive my mediocre comprehension of the logic, however once I learn an operation I’m able to master it, even if I don’t understand the technical overview.  Drop some science on me so I can get these tracks transferred to Sonar without playing them from scratch, since I can’t even take advantage of the equipment I buy when I don’t understand how to apply them.  Well, John McCain doesn’t even know how to run Windows and he’s running for President, so I guess that puts me in the genius category. (Sarah Palin’s just as PC dumb, unless hunting supply purchases count for something).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2008 @ 12:20 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Re: Transferral of Song/Pattern data from USB stick

Song/Pattern data are saved in Motif format W7S / W7P, respectively. To load that data in Sonar or whatever you should either save your songs in SMF (MIDI format) and than load to Sonar. Bulk your mix first to keep your voices settings in song! Or, you could load your songs to Motif sequencer, connect to Sonar and play your song while recording in Sonar. So, your wish, but you have a lot of job definitely.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2008 @ 08:20 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Correct. The universal protocol for transferring sequencer data from one sequencer to another (which is what you are doing when you want to load the work you have done in the ES to Sonar) is the Standard MIDI File format; extenion is .MID

Press [FILE]
Press [F1] CONFIG
Press [SF1] CURRENT
Select your drive
Press [[F2] SAVE
Select TYPE = SMF (Standard MIDI File)
Press the DOWN CURSOR arrow so that the cursor is between the brackets and give the FILE a name
Press [ENTER] You now will be able to select the SONG by number or the PATTERN by number and Section. (yes each Section is a separate MIDI File)

When all is correctly selected. Press [ENTER] to execute.
This will create a single .MID file with the name you gave it.

This file can be loaded into any MIDI sequencer.
What is transferred in this file (as correctly pointed out in the post above) is the data on the tracks. Not your MIX… You MIX is the tone generator of the Motif ES (you computer, while a cool device is not a Motif ES and therefore will not understand any thing but the data on the Tracks).

So you have either bulk the MIXING data over to Sonar as System Exclusive data or you can use STUDIO MANAGER to communicate with your Motif ES and capture the mix.

It is not a big deal as the MIX is in the Motif ES and you can figure out the best method to store the MIXING setup…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2008 @ 12:49 PM
micaofboca
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-28-2004

Thanks for explaining it out for me, because the way you teach I can easily just enter the chain you generously wrote out for me.  It’s fun using the drum patterns in Pattern mode, so this way I don’t have to use Sonar all of the time.  I thought the computer would directly transfer the recorded sequences while they were being played back as if I were recording them into Sonar them on the fly. But doing it your way seems fairly easy so I can still mess around creatively on the Motif’s sequencer.  It’ll all go well..... if we all just vote for Obama.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MLAN16e - Recording to Cool Edit Pro anyone...?
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››