mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MOTIF XS RACK : switching between arps"

Posted on: September 30, 2008 @ 12:17 PM
andyoc
Total Posts:  18
Joined  05-06-2005

I’m using a controller to switch arps 1~5

The controller has 5 values 0/26/52/78/104, which I’m hoping the XS will match to Arp 1/2/3/4/5

However, all that happens at the moment is that each call iteration of the controller merely advances the arp to the next slot, as opposed to selecting the relevant slot.

Anything I can do to solve this.

Also, when I send an arp change on, let’s say channel 1, channel 2, 3 and 4, also advance.

Should the 4 channels arps act completely indpendently?

Thanks in advance!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2008 @ 04:58 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: MOTIF XS RACK : switching between arps

There is not enough information to provide you with a definitive answer. You mention a controller but don’t mention what type of control it is. Not sure how a controller can have 5 values… A Switch sends two values… OFF or ON
A knob typically sends 128 values (0 through 127) so does a pedal…
If you have a five way toggle switch… let us know. But at any rate it is not clear what type of controller you are talking about.

You do not mention that you are sending the cc085 message (although that maybe because you are getting some results, just not the results your expect).

How the Rack XS behaves will depend on how you have the “LAYER 1-4 PARTS” parameter set. If set to ON then all four PARTS will adjust their arpeggios according to how each is assigned for the five different arps.

You have a choice between:
INC - where any value for the selected cc will advance you to the next arp 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5 and 5 to 1
DIRECT - Where a value 0 – 25 selects Arpeggio 1; 26 – 50 selects Arpeggio 2; 51 – 76 selects Arpeggio 3; 77 – 101 selects Arpeggio 4; 102 – 127 selects Arpeggio 5.

If “LAYER 1-4 PARTS” is OFF then only the PART on the MIDI channel you send cc085 will change.

This parameter is found by pressing [UTILITY] > [GENERAL] and is found on page 2 of 5. When ON you are addressing the first four PARTS as a PERFORMANCE - controller data coming in will affect all PARTS. When OFF you are addressing each PART on its separate channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 04:03 AM
andyoc
Total Posts:  18
Joined  05-06-2005

Indeed I do have a five-way toggle switch!

It’s on a Novation SL25 - you can tell the any switch to step thro’
a set of values - specify low/step value/high - and its easy to set it up to send 5 explicit values on any controller!

I had missed the inc / direct option - so thank you for solving that issue, Bad-Mister!
By the way, I’m working in Nuendo and using the editor - that “Inc/direct” switch is on the Controller Assign page from the Global menu.

Ok, issue 2 - all channels arps responding to any channel switching…

Verifying Layer 1-4 part is OFF.

I insert the arp switches [controller 85 - values 22/44/66/88/110]
into a track addressing channel 1 [ output limited to chnl 1]

However, all [all 16] of the XS’s parts switch rather than just part 1.

1 Method - insert part with arp switches as above [output directed to midi chnl 1]
2 Loop playback around the part
3 Select any part in the XS editor - with the arp page open
4 All parts respond to the control inputs

Anyone able to verify this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 07:17 AM
mbncp
Total Posts:  22
Joined  12-29-2007

I don’t think that you can have a different arp for each voices.

You can see that in the editor, changing the arp of a single voice will change the others as well.

Also, in the sysex documentation there isn’t such a parameter.

You have param h36 h30 h00 that will switch arp to all voices (like using the CC), but nothing to have each voice using a different arp part.

What you can do is to change the arp being used and this for each voice and has the format:

38 PP ARP MSB LSB
pp: voice
arp: adress for arp 1-5
MSB,LSB: 14 bit number of the arp
so that (hex):
38 02 3E 0A 20
would tell voice 3, arp4 to use arp nr 1312

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 03, 2008 @ 08:46 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Ok, issue 2 - all channels arps responding to any channel switching…

Verifying Layer 1-4 part is OFF.

I insert the arp switches [controller 85 - values 22/44/66/88/110]
into a track addressing channel 1 [ output limited to chnl 1]

However, all [all 16] of the XS’s parts switch rather than just part 1.

Yes. I believe that is how it works. I had not thought about it previous to your question.

What is it that you want to accomplish?

Typically ARP 1 would be the first Verse, let’s say. The Drummer plays a groove, the Bass player plays a specific bass line, the Guitar does a specific part… Then ARP 2 could be the chorus section… the Drummer plays a different more complex groove, the Bass player has a new bass line, and the Guitar play has a new part to play

If you want some one to play something different just program that to the ARP 1 to ARP 5 location… When control cc85 is received the entire Motif will respond by going to the designated assigned ARP1-5 location…

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Favorite patches
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››