mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "USB NOT WORKING?"

Posted on: September 29, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
pablomastodon
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-29-2008

running rack ES via USB into IBM X61 notebook (1.8MHz dual core) running XPsp3....

installed latest driver (2.2.2.2 is latest, yes?) yesterday and it shows up in my taskbar and also in control panel twice, once under Sounds and Audio Devices and independently as Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver

however, if I double-click to configure the driver an error window opens stating that:

“Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver device is not connected.”

yet as I plug in and out the USB connection, the icon appears and disappears in the taskbar.

I have tried booting the connection any which way, starting with the manual’s advice to plug the USB while Motif is powered down, then power up Motif, etc.

Also, I have made the change, under utility/midi, from MIDI to USB.

The Yamaha USB midi ports DO NOT appear in any software (Sonar, MIDI-OX, Reason) and Studio Manager is unable to find it either.  Synch attempts simply time out.

BTW, I’ve also tried disconnecting USB, hooking up to the Motif via MIDI, and get the same time out error, although Studio Manager does show that alternative port in the setup menu.

ANY IDEAS?  THANX!!

Pablo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2008 @ 06:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: USB NOT WORKING?

A 1.8MHz computer is not powerful enough to run much… Were pretty sure you mean 1.8GHz, right?

You may want check two things:
1) make sure the Motif Rack ES is set to USB
2) make sure you do not have too many instances of MIDI in your registry…

Windows has a limit of 10 instances of MIDI - you can exceed this by not having a specific port to which you always connect your devices. Each time you plug a MIDI device into a different port Windows will reinstall the driver. Eventually you reach 10 instances of MIDI drivers and it will not allow any more.

USB Not working

and

USB Not Working....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2008 @ 08:55 PM
pablomastodon
Joined  09-29-2008

Bad Mister,

Thank you for taking time out to try to help me sort out this problem I am having.  Of course you are correct about my typo error—I intended GHz, not MHz!

1) I tried to indicate that I had made the MIDI to USB setting change under the utility menu; perhaps worded it awkwardly.  I did manage to get Studio Manager to successfully synch under MIDI, btw; I had been trying to synch MULTIs while the unit was in PERFORM mode (oops).

2) Searching the registry path described in the link you referred me to, there are at present fewer than 10 midi drivers installed.  They are:

midi wdmaud.drv (microsoft?)
midi1 myokent.dll (midi yoke)
midi2 ma_cmidi.dll (yamaha?)
midi3 xgusb.cpl (also yamaha?)
midi4 wdmaud.drv
midi5 usbmn1x1.dll (m-audio uno)
midimapper midimap.dll

Am I correct in my understanding that with the USB connection in place, the motif should appear as one or more available midi port selections in ALL of my midi-related software?  I use midi-ox alot, along with sonar, bome’s MT, sound forge, acid and reason, although NOT all at once (yet!).  And of course, the Yamaha Studio Manager with motif rack es multi and voice editors—at least I hope to be using them soon!  Shouldn’t I expect to find motif ports available in the setup menu of YSM?

Thanks again for your time and input....

Pablo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2008 @ 03:59 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Am I correct in my understanding that with the USB connection in place, the motif should appear as one or more available midi port selections in ALL of my midi-related software? I use midi-ox alot, along with sonar, bome’s MT, sound forge, acid and reason, although NOT all at once (yet!). And of course, the Yamaha Studio Manager with motif rack es multi and voice editors—at least I hope to be using them soon! Shouldn’t I expect to find motif ports available in the setup menu of YSM?

Yes the Motif Rack ES will show up as your USB-MIDI interface.

If you go to Control Panels you should find the blue Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver icon.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/421605-USB_MIDI_Driver.JPG

Clicking it will open the Yamaha USB-MIDI panel.

The Motif Rack XS will communicate on PORT 1 IN and OUT.
A MIDI keyboard plugged into the MIDI IN jack will have its out-going MIDI information merged and sent on to the computer on PORT 1.

The MIDI OUT jack will be what ever port you assign as the THRU PORT parameter. The THRU PORT parameter is found right below the MIDI IN/OUT parameter in UTILITY mode. If you set THRU PORT to 3 then data routed from your computer software on “Yamaha Motif R ES-3” will arrive at the MIDI OUT jack on the back panel of the Motif Rack ES.

Yes you should expect to see MIDI PORT setup in Studio Manager. Again the Motif-Rack ES will always be PORT 1 for both IN and OUT. When setting up the Editors you will also set the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT to PORT 1…

In the Multi-Part Editor to not assign the REMOTE MIDI IN and REMOTE MIDI OUT PORT. In fact leave them set to “Not Assigned”. You only want to set the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.

You do not mention any device that you can use to remotely control the Motif Rack ES so leave the Remote Ports: NOT ASSIGNED>

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2008 @ 04:29 PM
pablomastodon
Joined  09-29-2008

Sorry to repeat myself, but as my original post began:

“installed latest driver (2.2.2.2 is latest, yes?) yesterday and it shows up in my taskbar and also in control panel twice, once under Sounds and Audio Devices and independently as Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver…

however, if I double-click to configure the driver an error window opens stating that:

‘Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver device is not connected.’

yet as I plug in and out the USB connection, the icon appears and disappears in the taskbar....”

That’s where the problem lies, no doubt....the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver control panel refuses to open, and the MOTIF refuses to show up as an available MIDI port selection in ANY software I try to throw at it.

Which is why I’ve been pulling hair out for a few days…

Thanks,

Pablo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2008 @ 06:35 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Taking each item:

Not sure why or what “shows up in your task bar” that is curious in itself. Just what shows up in the task bar?

“‘Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver device is not connected.’”
The error message should be “Yamaha USB-MIDI device is not connected” I’m sure this is a typo…

The driver for Windows XP is 2.2.2

You should be able to select it (Yamaha USB driver) in the SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICE as the “MIDI MUSIC PLAYBACK” Default device…

Which would allow you to play MIDI files from Windows Media Player and have them trigger the Motif Rack ES.

Beyond this I not really sure what could be the problem. Where is your “Version2.2.2” folder? Do you know its location?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 01, 2008 @ 06:48 PM
pablomastodon
Joined  09-29-2008

task bar: I get a “Safely Remove Hardware” icon in the task bar (which happens whenever I plug ANY usb device into any of the 3 usb connectors

typo: you are again right about the typo

I have driver 2.2.2.2 dated 1/16/2008; should I try to replace it with 2.2.2?

The Yamaha USB driver fails to appear as an available selection under control panel Sounds and Audio Devices.  I’m thinking perhaps if I remove Midi Yoke......I’m gonna try that next…

Thanx again,

Pablo

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 11:17 PM
pablomastodon
Joined  09-29-2008

PROBLEM SOLVED!!  One of ‘em, anyway....

I just couldn’t give up MIDI Yoke entirely, so I cut it back to just two ports, rebooted, and it STILL didn’t work!

Don’t ask me why I didn’t try this sooner, but as a last resort, I plugged my motif into one of the two usb ports to the right of my notebook instead of the single usb port on the left side.  VOILA!  I swear, so many times it’s the simplest of things…

Thanks to ALL, especially Bad Mister for taking time....

Pablo

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ footboard for patch change use
Next Topic:

Motif Rack and MM6 Integration ››