mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "saving samples and using them later?"

Posted on: September 28, 2008 @ 11:21 AM
livelife
Total Posts:  0
Joined  02-28-2005

I want to know how can i build my own sound library out of samples from cd/cassete sources? I want to sample and edit the sound and then store them some place so i can use them when i want to. Would i be saving to smart media card? Ifso, what file will i save the samples in?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2008 @ 01:23 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: saving samples and using them later?

The Classic came with a piece of software called TWE - Th e Wave Editor. Its purpose is to edit samples on a PC, doing all the tricky bits on a larger screen where you can see more easily.

In terms of moving samples about, you have two options:

1 Smart Media - you can get cards up to 128Mb - since the max sample RAM is 64Mb on the classic, such a card is quite useful - if you can find one!! If not you can get an XD to SM adapter which will allow you to use an XD card instead. Sadly, the Motif can still only ‘see’ 128Mb of the card, so no gradiose ideas of getting an XD card with a couple of Gbs on it - the Motif will only read and write the first 128Mb!!

2 SCSI - Whilst this is now an obsolete storage medium, it is still alive in the world of Akai MPCs etc, with the results that you may be able to pick one up on ebay.
Advantages are that you can address more memory. Disadvantages are that it is a slowere read/write process - ie takes longer to load samples, and the Motif is not quick in this respect anyways!!

In terms of what sort of files to save, it depends on what you are looking to do. Your best bet woudl be to study the pages on the manual where it talks about file types and see for yourself which one seems to fit best with your cunning plan for total world dominion /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= and then if you’re not sure post back here for clarification.

Hope these thoughts all help.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2008 @ 10:49 AM
livelife
Joined  02-28-2005

Thanks alot willie~

I’m always building beats in pattern mode and just wanted to know what would be the best file to save the samples in so i can easily retrive them and use them.

Another question about sampling on motif

I paid for some drum sounds from ebay and they are in wav format. Whats the best way to transfer those sounds to the motif so i can use them? I recieved the link for the sounds in email almost a few seconds after i paid for them. I may need to download them at a friends house because my computer is waaayy to slow to download them.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2008 @ 01:33 AM
Wellie
Joined  05-09-2003

To download the sounds and transfer them to the Motif:

On your chums computer, download the files and save them all into a folder - probably best to write this folder to a CD. You then have a backup.
Now copy the CD’s contents onto your own PC. You can then copy the files onto either SCSI or Smart Media card as mentioned above, depending on whether your PC has a SCSI connection or a Smart Media drive bay. The SM card or SCSI can then be connected to the Motif where the samples can be loaded. (Note: if using a Smart Media card in a Windows machine, always make sure you ‘eject’ the card before removing it - some have not and have wound up with all kinds of problems as a result. Also, deleting files on a windows machine can render the card unreadable by the Motif - best to use the Motif to delete files.)

Note that it is still possible to get Smart card readers (Usually these days they come as multiple format readers - Smart Media, SD, XD, Sony Stick etc) which plug into your PC via USB.

Lastly, the handle is Wellie - its a diminutive of my surname /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=
Note the ‘e’ as the second letter, not an ‘i’ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2008 @ 06:50 AM
livelife
Joined  02-28-2005

thanks alot willie!

I have a smartmedia card and card reader into the usb port of my computer. When i put the card reader into the slot a windows media player screen pops up. The 32mb card that came with the motif i brought off of ebay is labeled as “ill”...to the very right of the windows media player screen reads....

sync list

drag items here

to create a list to sync to ill…

Do i just drag the wave files into that list to get the samples onto the card and motif? do i have to convert or anything?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 20, 2008 @ 11:53 PM
Wellie
Joined  05-09-2003

You don’t have to use Windows media player to handle this. Your best bet for accessing the SM card is Windows explorer - ie via my computer.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 22, 2008 @ 05:28 AM
livelife
Joined  02-28-2005

Willie I’m on a windows vista system and i can’t seem to get it right. I just want to get the wave files onto my smartmedia card to make song out of them

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 23, 2008 @ 12:01 AM
Wellie
Joined  05-09-2003

OK -the WAV files are on your PC.

Insert your SM card into the card reader. If doing that automatically starts Windows media player, then stop the player and exit Windows Media Player. Then open My Computer. You should see the Smart Media card listed down in the drives section or as a ‘removable disk’ with a drive letter.
(On my system the hard drive is C:, the DVD/CD drive is E:
the removable disks are F: through I: and the Smart Card will be one of those - I have a multiple format card reader built in to my PC)

Now, navigate to the place/folder where you have saved your wav files and copy those files across to your SM Card. Windows gives you lots of options on how - you can drag and drop the file to be copied, you can right click and choose copy then find the target and right click the target and choose paste . . .  whichever route you are most comfortable with.

Once the files are on the card you need to use the ‘eject’ option for the SM card - again, right click on the drive letter and it will be one of the options.

You should now be able to plug this into your Motif and load the samples into it.

Cheers

PS The handle is wEllie - its a short form of my surname.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 26, 2008 @ 09:41 PM
CoolSwirls
Total Posts:  601
Joined  09-01-2008

I have my own follow-up question:

What about the creation of your own sound libraries using your PC? I mean like those ones you can get for free here on Motifator like ‘Meat & Potatoes’ and such? How are those made?

Since I don’t have a SmartMedia card, the way I’ve been doing it is to transfer the files onto CD and download into my Motif via the external disc drive. Basically as long as I can get the files onto my PC, I can get them onto my Motif. The only thing I cannot do is upgrade my Motif because it seems to require a SmartMedia card.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 27, 2008 @ 03:53 AM
Wellie
Joined  05-09-2003

There is a voice editor/librarian software for the Motif I think - check out the download pages at [url=http://www.yamahasynth.com]http://www.yamahasynth.com [/url] and see what can be found there.

Also, it may be worth checking what OS you have on your Motif and getting hold of the means to update it if necessary.
SM cards can still be purchased. You can also purchase XD to SM adapters which would allow XD cards to be used - though the motif can only use the top 128Mb of the card (No point buying an 8Gb card and expecting the motif to see all 8 gigs /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= )

Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]