mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "why won’t my samples load after a power cycle?"

Posted on: September 28, 2008 @ 08:34 AM
manwred
Total Posts:  8
Joined  11-15-2007

hi guys,
i got a Motif XS, and i just started venturing into the sampling territory. I got it pretty much figured out, until this point ; after doing every necesary edit, and pressing the store button (yes, it’s on a USR voice), i turn off the keyboard. After powering back on, the new stored patch is there, but the samples won’t play, and the “integrated Sampling” window is empty - USB stick always inserted.
Any suggestions as to what am i doing wrong?
thanks a lot.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 28, 2008 @ 12:57 PM
saeef
Total Posts:  649
Joined  06-24-2005

Re: why won’t my samples load after a power cycle?

You have to reload the samples every time u start.
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2008 @ 12:59 AM
manwred
Joined  11-15-2007

Thanks for the reply, but :
is there a way to make them autoload or something? i’ve read the forums, now i’m saving everything into and All file (.X0A), and it would be nice to make it load by itself when the board is powered on…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 29, 2008 @ 08:02 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

For information on setting up the autoload function of the Motif XS see pages 262 and 263 of the Motif XS Owner’s Manual .

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 30, 2008 @ 01:43 AM
manwred
Joined  11-15-2007

I can’t imagine how i got past that part everytime i read the manual...dislexya can be an explanation…
Thanks a lot !

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 04, 2008 @ 06:51 AM
manwred
Joined  11-15-2007

thanks for the help, guys! I often seem to forget the RTFM rule…
Now i have another quiestion, which i’ll post here too, in order not to pollute the forum with another topic.
Is it possible to edit sample mappings, or have access to the integrated sampling menu directly via the Motif XS Editor? it’s rather painful mapping them and stuff on the keyboard, especially when you have 60+ samples in a patch/program/voice ...Thanks a lot.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 05, 2008 @ 05:44 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

No. Mapping of samples to the Waveform must be done on the keyboard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 21, 2008 @ 08:14 PM
jpondhawk
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-26-2008

I had the same problem. I loaded WAV files from USB, set them up as a Sampled Voice and they go away when the power goes off.

I have to manually reload them and run the set-up again which is a real pain.

I thought there was a way to store them on the XS. If there was a temporary power failure onstage I’d be screwed!

Ideally I wanted to load the WAV sound at C6 on the Grand Piano voice so I could play piano live and use the sound WAV in a loop.

If I bought an external HD and stored those WAVs would the XS be able to autoload the files without having to reset up each one after they are loaded?

I must be doing something wrong.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 29, 2008 @ 06:12 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

WAV is a default audio format for Windows computers
AIFF is a default audio format for Macintosh computers.

When you load a sample into your Yamaha synthesizer you then can add parameters to it that control how the sample plays (forward once, loop, reverse), you can assign it an original key (a note when pressed will cause it to play at the original speed and pitch), you can assign a Key Range for that sample, you can assign a Velocity Range for that sample… This now becomes a KEYBANK. A keybank can be a small as 1 key or it can be a range of keys. Key Ranges can be horizonal (across the keyboard ) or vertical (velocity).

A mapping of keybanks is called a WAVEFORM

A WAVEFORM can contain up to 128 KEYBANKS. If you place a single sample on each Key across the keyboard you could map 128 samples to a single WAVEFORM… If you assign a different Velocity range to each sample you could stack the vertically 128 deep on a single key.

Some combination of horizonal and/or vertical mapping other than these extremes is usually what happens. For example, you may use a dozen sample mapped across the keyboard (horizonally) to create a FLUTE Voice… but you also may have two samples deep for velocity swapping (vertically) so when you strike a note hard you can have it swap to a chiff sound… So some combination of horizontal and vertical mapping is typical.

A WAVEFORM can be selected to sound in a VOICE - A Waveform in a VOICE is referred to as an ELEMENT. Elements a parameters that allow you to customize even further as to how the sample will sound… you can add Filters, Filter Envelopes (how the timbre changes over time), Amplitude envelopes (how loudness changes over time), Pitch Envelopes (how the tuning changes over time), Effects (each Element can be routed to one of two or both Insertion Effects), you can Note Shift it to a region of the keyboard, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Up to 4 Elements can be in a Voice in a Motif, and Motif ES; and up to 8 Elements in the Motif XS.

An element, when it is made up of samples, can be actually a multi-sample instrument sound… So you can combine multiple multi-sampled instruments in a VOICE (like the PIANO & STRINGS Voice) or you can use the Elements to construct a single instrument sound. Like the 8 Elements that make the FULL CONCERT GRAND piano in the XS.

All the work you do to your original raw .WAV or AIFF is not available in your Windows format audio file, or your Mac format audio file… Those are simply raw data - unprocessed. All the things I have described are “Motif parameters” added to your WAV or AIFF data.

The Motif Parameters remain in memory between power cycles - this is very important to recognize… it is the raw WAV or AIFF data that disappears and must be restored.

You can restore all of your work when you save in a Motif specific file format: ALL data or ALL VOICE data file formats. This will restore not only the Motif level parameters but the raw WAV and AIFF audio as well.

If you save as an ALL data file format you can, on the Motif and Motif ES, create an AUTOLOAD routine that will automatically reload/restore your system preferences, your songs, your patterns, and your samples - so all work that you do is automatically restored at each power up.

If you save on a Motif XS as an ALL data file or as an ALL VOICE file, you can have the XS select that file and automatically load the data when you power up.

If you apply any parameters to that raw WAV or AIFF format file… then you must save all that work in a MOTIF File Format (better, bigger and more complete) than the raw data file you started with… because it contains all the work you did to make that raw sample into a playable musical sound…

Hope that helps you understand what is going on… Samples disappear because they are housed in volatile, re-writeable RAM in the synthesizer.

Much the same as items you are working on in your computer that are housed in RAM (like your desktop)… it must be reloaded/restored every time you turn your computer on....

If you are old enough to remember when computers booted up to a C:\ prompt (that was instant ON)… you did not have to wait for you computer to come on - it was like a light switch. Poof! ON. You did not have to wait for it to power down Poof! OFF

Now that you have a pretty environment to work in and your STARTUP Menu can be quite extensive (virus protection, etc., etc., etc these load every time) - this is all done in RAM and is all loaded each time you power up… Same goes with volatile sample RAM in your synth… You can rewrite it but the trade-off is you must reload it.

If you create an AUTOLOAD file, it simply boots up ready to go… But yes it must load it. Autoload like your computers START UP MENU simply automates it so you don’t have to do it every time.

Make sense?

[ Ignore ]