mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Despite Dave Polich’s DVD I need effects to record"

Posted on: September 17, 2008 @ 09:31 PM
micaofboca
Total Posts:  99
Joined  03-28-2004

Despite all the valuable learning that comes from studying Dave’s DVD Tutorial, I need to record effects into Sonar’s AUDIO program.  The Motif’s MIDI effects, despite being so nice, are not recording into audio which is where I need them, (not just for my live performing).  I’m using Sonar 7 with an Edirol FA-66 audio interface to record my Motif instruments (95% of ‘em, anyway) into Sonar 7.  I don’t really like the effects in Sonar, nor those in WaveLab 4.01.  I don’t want to spend a fortune on an Eventide although the H-8000FW sounds like a Ferrari.  And I don’t want the Waves bundle either.  What I’d like is to make use of the cool stuff I learned from Dave’s lessons and record them into my Sonar projects.  Dave’s disk doesn’t cover recording apps.  Any ideas, comrades?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2008 @ 04:33 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: Despite Dave Polich’s DVD I need effects to record

You can use the Motif as a sort of “mic pre” or audio interface, using the audio inputs, and record through it back into Sonar - that is the only way to use it effectively as an outboard effects device. You cannot instantiate a Motif effect on a Sonar track like you would a typical
audio plug-in from Waves or one of Sonar’s own plug-ins.

If you are recording voices and performances as audio into Sonar, then you are using the Motif’s effects because they are embedded in the voices, performances, and mix modes.

Yamaha sells a complete line of hardware effects processors, have you considered those?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2008 @ 09:28 PM
micaofboca
Joined  03-28-2004

T.C. Elec. M-3000 vs. Yamaha SPX 2000

What do you like better for a wide range of effects (for more than just a guitar)?  (I would be applying them to piano, electric pianos, synths, basses, guitars, horns, flutes and oboes, vibes, etc....All recorded from Midi samples that are next to be recorded into Audio using Sonar and some mastering plug-ins).  Do you like the T.C. Electronics M3000 better than the Yamaha SPX 2000.  Of course the more expensive T.C. unit has many more presets. 
This way I can avoid wasting CPU power while making auditioning of the sounds pretty easy.  Good idea, Dave.  I’d love to just spend as little as $400 but I don’t know how wide a choice of effects is offered with the M-One XL (T.C. Electronics) which has flangers, reverbs, and choruses, but no delays.  The only drawback is that with only 2 channels, you can’t audition multi channeled effects in Midi, just 2 (Left & Right so it’s one track-at-a-time).  It’s necessary to record all the other tracks into audio, one-at-a-time, and use your imagination as to what effect would sound cool accompanying the one you’re applying the effect to.  The Eventide H8000FW has 8 simultaneous channels, which is the bomb, but it costs as much as my wife’s lawyer, so I can live with the 2 channels.
It looks like the T.C. M3000 leads the pack, but what are your thoughts, since you’re an experienced Effects Instructor, and you have a much-to-be envied knowledge of the finer points of applying effects.  Oh, [censored], I just remembered, you work for KeyFax which is Yamaha, so does it prejudice your selection?  Or does Macy’s still send their customers to Gimbels?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2008 @ 07:58 AM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: T.C. Elec. M-3000 vs. Yamaha SPX 2000

Actually I don’t work for Keyfax or Yamaha. Keyfax hosts this site and
sells my sound libraries at the motif mart, and I have done things like the Sound Advice DVD with Keyfax. We have a working business relationship. For Yamaha, I am a “consultant”, doing sound design, but not an employee of the company.

As far as hardware effects units go - sorry, can’t really recommend one over another, since I don’t use them. I use plug-ins (in Digital Performer and Logic). I have a very long list of plug-ins and have spent
thousands on them. But that’s part of the work I do. I realize that budgets are limited and you want to get the best for your money.

Lexicon, Eventide, TC, Yamaha - you can’t go wrong with any of them.
They’re all very high-quality. I tend to think of all of them as different
flavors. Yamaha has a specific “flavor”, Lexicon has a different one, and so on..you’re probably well aware that in high-end “big-time” studios, you’ll see everything from everyone - units made by all of the above named manufacturers. The Yamaha Rev7 was a classic
unit and still highly sought after. The latest Yamaha SPX series
units sound great too.

That said, personally I love plug-ins, because they’re saved and recalled with your session. And there are so many great ones out
there. I use Waves, T-Racks, Channel Strip, Izotope plugs a lot.
For amp simulators I have all the ik Multimedia stuff (Amplitube-powered products) which I feel are the best amp simulators out there. And I have Liquid Mix, which uses a separate hardware
interface and has convolution emulations of all the great EQ’s
and compressors you ever wanted (like the Fairchilds, 1176,
Summit, Pultec, Manley,etc.). If you wanted a really flexible hardware solution that works just like a plug-in but doesn’t tax
your computer, I’d look at the United Audio UAD-2 card. You
have to buy the card first and then pay for the plugs for it
separately. TC Electronics also makes a PCI card plug-in system.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2008 @ 07:57 PM
micaofboca
Joined  03-28-2004

Re: T.C. Elec. M-3000 vs. Yamaha SPX 2000

Man, that explanation was great. You’re very kind to give such thorough and sound advice, D.  You’ve explained it thoroughly for me.  What a benefit it is to have a detailed understanding before randomly spending money unnecessarily, which is something I often do.  Thanks for your time and effort, man.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Autoload and allwaveform file, load times
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››