mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "I can’t get rid of hissing noise"

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 06:53 PM
StreetsOnBeat
Total Posts:  38
Joined  06-16-2008

I’m new to voice recording and until recently have only created instrumentals with motif es6. I’d like to record some vocals but I’m getting a hissing sound when I hook up my mic, which I kind of expected, but I’d like to know what I can do to eliminate it. I’ve tried hooking the mic directly to my motif using sample mode and I’ve also tried hooking mic to the Fasttrack Pro so I can record in Cubase or Adobe Audition. I’d rather use the first approach because most music software just gives me a headache! Hoping it’s an easy solve, but if not, I’m thinking somewhere along the lines of mixers (if needed), or different cables but will use software if results are considerably better (or cheaper). Thanks in advance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2008 @ 05:19 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: I can’t get rid of hissing noise

Talk us through the setup you are using - include details of cabling.

It is most likely a combination of low quality cables with not so good mic pre-amps.

Of course, it may also be something to do with your Mic - which one are you using??

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2008 @ 11:28 AM
StreetsOnBeat
Joined  06-16-2008

I’m using a phantom powered mic hooked up directly to the back of the motif, I figured the motif itself would be able to power and amplify, right? Either way I get the exact same quality when I run it through my Fasttrack Pro into my computer to use with Adobe Audition. Not sure of the mic brand (audio-technica) but I spent about 60 bucks for it at guitar center, compared to the hundred something they tried to sell it to me for. When I first record into motif it sounds good just not very loud, the hissing shows up when I select the normalize option to 100%. The vocals get louder but there’s a bunch of air in the background. I’m using a monster cable with it, XLR to quarter inch. I’m recording using the integrated sampler. L/R mono at 44.1khz. Record set to manual… i’ve tried changing the gain from the back of the motif but that doesn’t help either.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2008 @ 04:14 PM
saeef
Total Posts:  649
Joined  06-24-2005

I’m using a phantom powered mic hooked up directly to the back of the motif, I figured the motif itself would be able to power and amplify, right?
How do u figure that?
salsa
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 17, 2008 @ 05:38 PM
StreetsOnBeat
Joined  06-16-2008

Just assumed it, like I said I’m new at this. If I’m wrong let me know and write back with something constructive

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2008 @ 03:58 AM
Wellie
Joined  05-09-2003

Streets,

Alas, any self noise or noise in the pre-amp will show up when you ‘normalise’ the wave form. Its a question of signal to noise ratio and at the moment you have a lot of noise compared to your signal. the question would be how to either increase the signal OR decrease the noise. Are you getting the max volume out of the mic before you normalise its recording?

A mic is best plugged XLR to XLR - that way the signal stays balanced - ‘balanced’ is a way of keeping the signal as noise free as possible. Obviously the Motif does not have a balanced input. As Jan was trying to point out - the motif is not your ideal mic pre-amp either - it cannot provide phantom power for one thing. So what about your other piece of kit? Does it have an XLR input? If so, what results do you get plugging via that unit??

I want to try and help you get the best results but it is going to take some trial and error on your part and an occasional report back here perhaps to get some more pointers.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2008 @ 06:27 AM
tuquoque
Total Posts:  563
Joined  08-15-2007

To put it simply: You need some device that will supply phantom power to your condenser microphone. It could be a small mixer or dedicated phantom power unit like this [url=http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTPHANTOMI]http://www.zzounds.com/item--ARTPHANTOMI [/url]

You do have to know what is the right voltage for the microphone you are using. Check the specifications.

Connect the cables from CONDENSER mic to phantom power unit or to mixer WITH phantom power and from there to Motif ES’s A/D input

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2008 @ 02:11 PM
StreetsOnBeat
Joined  06-16-2008

Great, thanks for the help. My Fast Track does provide phantom power I’ll go from there to my motif. Except I have a dynamic micophone. Whats the difference, will the one I have work? I’ll play with it a little bit and get back

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 18, 2008 @ 09:33 PM
tuquoque
Total Posts:  563
Joined  08-15-2007

If your mic is dynamic, it don’t need phantom power. You can just plug it in to your ES. However, as you have noticed, the sound pressure level you are getting out of it isn’t enough to feed ES’s A/D input. That’s why you’ll be better of by using some kind of preamplifier. You might even want to add some small preamp with real tube inside, like Presonus Tube pre. Keep on testing the different solutions. You’ll learn while you do. Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 19, 2008 @ 12:31 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

As has been mentioned your problem is almost certainly caused by a low signal to noise ratio.  There may be many reasons for this along the signal chain.

One thing to check :  have you set the A/D input correctly in Utility? Check by pressing Utility, F2 [I/O] and seeing if you have set it to Mic or Line.  It should of course be on Mic.

That aside, I don’t know exactly what mic you have, but it is possible that its signal is too low for the Motif. However, you have the Fasttrack Pro, and this is a prefectly adequate device to boost the signal of your mic before it goes in the Motif. It even has a TRS output, so you connect easily to the Motif.  So connect your mic to the Fastrack, then the Fastrack to the Motif, and check the results in Sampling.

Let us know.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 20, 2008 @ 11:42 AM
Wellie
Joined  05-09-2003

Aha - a dynamic mic - there is your issue. Phantom power does not apply. But dynamic mics do not have such a transparent top end and so you will probably be turning up the hi-eq on the motif to compensate thus increasing the relative amounts of hiss. Dynamic mics are fine, no probs, but to capture a performance with a lot of top end, you woudl be better off with a condenser. Of course if you don’t have one, then you need to bear that in mind whilst using the dynamic and if you do use your pre-amp, perhaps give the treble a nudge - bit of trial and error - see what works and sounds good.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Yamaha AW2400 Effects problem
Next Topic:

AW1600 v AW16G ››