mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Repairing a Motif 8"

Posted on: September 09, 2008 @ 03:18 PM
thegimp
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-17-2004

Hello all. I have a couple of issues with my Motif 8. The C1 key appears to be broken so it does not play. Also there is a delay of when I hit the keys to when the sound is played. 
It may just be age but if anyone knows where I can find a service manual maybe I will attempt to open the beast up myself and see if I can fix it.
There are probably not a whole lot of people that can fix this thing. Any help is appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2008 @ 03:33 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: Repairing a Motif 8

Where are you based?
There are service centres all over the place particularly in the US.

Just because the Motif is old, does not mean it is out of date. The same keybed was used for its replacement, the ES and I have a feeling also with the XS. Spares are therefore fairly readily available. Also these things are not hard to self fix, but it is at your own risk - but that’s OK, your board is well out of warrantee anyway /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= You would need to order the relevant parts for it and then fit it.

As regards the delay, do you have any PLG boards fitted, or is the board connected to a MIDI setup with Local set to OFF?
If so the delay may be due to your MIDI setup.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2008 @ 08:02 AM
thegimp
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-17-2004

Thanks for the reply Dave.
I am in the suburbs of Chicago. Do you know who I can call? Should I start with Yamaha support? Their support used to be pretty awful when I used to sell this gear. Is it better now?

As for the delay? There are no PLG boards, no MIDI connections set up at this time.  It just seems to be that I hit the key and there is an ever so slight delay. The delay is definitely more apparent when using a sustain pedal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 10, 2008 @ 12:40 PM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Alas, I am UK based so cannot give you specific support directions, though you should be able to find your way by trawling through the yamaha US website for contact numbers and stuff.

To give you a head start, you might try here

Regards your delay - what mode are you in, does that make a difference?

It does sound odd - I’ve never had that feeling on the motif that there is a delay unless I am overloading its polyphony with big layers and lots of sustain pedal use.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 24, 2008 @ 06:05 PM
saeef
Total Posts:  649
Joined  06-24-2005

It may just be age but if anyone knows where I can find a service manual maybe I will attempt to open the beast up myself and see if I can fix it.

Call yamaha and order the service manual. Meantime Check this out . It’s for the Es but maybe will help you.
salsa
I plan to update the procedure...u don’t have to take the sides off, and you can use a finger instead of the tool to hold the hammer back and down

[ Ignore ]