mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "s90es Arpeggios w/CUBASE"

Posted on: September 06, 2008 @ 06:38 PM
jazz@scottallmanmusic.com
Total Posts:  0
Joined  09-06-2008

Hey all,
Many thanks for this great forum.  I’m a Cubase / S90es user, and am wanting, like so many others, to record s90es Arpeggios via MIDI into Cubase.  I’ve read a number of posts here that address the topic, but I could still use some guidance.  I’ve also read Phil’s very informative “Power User” article here: [url=http://files.keyfax.com/download/MOTIFArpeggiator.pdf]http://files.keyfax.com/download/MOTIFArpeggiator.pdf [/url], as well as this one: [url=http://files2.keyfax.com/ESPDFs/PHRASE_FACTORY_Cubase.pdf]http://files2.keyfax.com/ESPDFs/PHRASE_FACTORY_Cubase.pdf. [/url] However, I am still unable to do this successfully.  Having tried all of these procedures, it seems I am still not doing something correct.

I think, in part, I am a little confused because these articles are written predominantly for the MOTIF user, not the S90es user.  While there are obvious similarities, the lack of a sequencer in the s90es makes some things different, I assume.

Thus, what I would really appreciate is a simple, step-by-step set of instructions SPECIFIC TO THE S90ES for recording Arpeggios into Cubase via MIDI.

Generally, I use the s90es in multi mode with Cubase, which I assume is also the mode to use for recording arpeggios.
The pertinent parts of my rig: Dell T3400 Core2Quad @ 2.4 | Cubase Studio 4.5 | S90es via USB Midi | Yam n8 via mLAN |

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 27, 2008 @ 07:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: s90es Arpeggios w/CUBASE

Below is the article translated for S90 ES. I do not have an S90 ES here to test this - so I will count on your feedback to let me know. The only real difference here is that the EXT SW (External Switch function is found in a different location)… otherwise I believe they are pretty much the same.

Recording arpgeggio data can be tricky only because it is different from normal recording because you are not recording your key presses - only the result of your key presses after they go through the ARPEGGIATOR… This little factor makes it a bit more complex. Add to this that not all arpeggios types are the same and there are some exceptions to the fundamental rules (this will depend on KEY MODE - but that is another discussion).

Please try the following and let us know - until we can verify it with an actual S90 ES.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setting up to record arpeggio MIDI data Cubase /S90 ES

This short tutorial is in two sections:
1) Record the arpeggio data from the S90 ES to Cubase as MIDI data.
2) Playback the MIDI data to the Motif ES from Cubase

RECORD: S90 ES > Cubase
Background: On the S90 ES Local Control must be set to ON.
In a typical computer MIDI recording scenario you probably work with Local Control OFF – however, in order to properly record your arpeggio data to Cubase we will turn the Local Control ON. This will allow the key presses to go directly to the S90 ES arpeggiator triggering the S90 ES tone generator before we route them out via MIDI to the software. We will also want to prevent our key presses (trigger notes) from being recorded into Cubase – we only want to record the output of the arpeggiator. We will want to synchronize the clock of the S90 ES to the Cubase Master clock.

Here’s how to set things up:

Make sure the S90 ES is set to Local Control ON
· Press [UTILITY]
· Press [F5] MIDI
· Press [SF2] SWITCH
· Set LocalCtrl = ON

Set the S90 ES to external MIDI Sync and shut Sequencer transport Control OFF
· Press [SF3] SYNC
· Set MIDI SYNC = MIDI
· Set Clock Out = OFF
· Set the SEQ CTRL = OFF

Set the S90 ES so that it does not transmit the key-presses out via MIDI – you do this by turning the External transmit Switch to OFF. From the main [MULTI/SEQ PLAY] mode screen
· Press [F2] OUTPUT
· Set the EXT SW = OFF for the TRACK/PART you are using to transmit the arpeggio

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/421062-S90ES%20EXT%20SW.JPG

Setup that PART as the arpeggio Part by turning its ARP PART Switch = ON
· Press [MULTI/SEQ PLAY]
· Press [EDIT]
· Press Track Select [x] to view Part x parameters
· Press [F1] VOICE
· Press [SF2] MODE
· Set the Part ARP Switch = ON

Set the Arpeggio to transmit out via MIDI and set the MIDI channel you wish to use. While still in [MULTI] > [EDIT]…
· Press [COMMON]
· Press [F3] ARP
· Press [SF4] OUT CH
· Set the OUTPUT SWITCH = ON and select a specific MIDI channel to transmit the arpeggio

Background: In Cubase set a track to receive data but not to echo it back. Set up a MIDI track with the INPUT set to receive data from the S90 ES in a normal fashion. Do not set the track to transmit back to the S90 ES – set the OUTPUT to “Not Connected”. You can set the output once you have recorded the arpeggio data and are ready to playback.

You will also need to set Cubase to transmit MIDI clock. Although Cubase is typically running on its own clock, it is not set to transmit that clock until you activate it. Cubase will send clock when you start the Cubase Transport… so if the arpeggio is not playing recognize that (unless you have 4.5.2) Cubase does not typically send clock when the transport is stopped.

Here’s how to setup MIDI CLOCK OUT…

Set Cubase to transmit MIDI clock to the S90 ES
· Click on TRANSPORT on the main toolbar and select PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETTUP…
· Set the MIDI CLOCK OUT DESTINATION to the Port that feeds the S90 ES. In your setup this may be via USB-MIDI port, or mLAN-MIDI according to your MIDI interface – please set appropriately for your particular system.
· Click OK

In Cubase: Add a MIDI track to record the arpeggio MIDI data.
· Click on PROJECT and select ADD TRACK
· Select to add a MIDI Track

Set the Track’s Inspector to Receive data from the S90 ES but not to echo it back
· Set the MIDI In “->]” to the MIDI Port that the S90 ES is set to send on
· Set the MIDI Out “[->“ to “Not Connected”
· Set the MIDI channel to match the channel you selected to transmit the arpeggio data.

PLAYBACK: Cubase > S90 ES
Background: Once the data is recorded to Cubase you can setup to playback the data. There are several things you must do prior to playback. First, you need to turn the front panel arpeggio switch OFF on the S90 ES; after all, you have now transferred the data to actual events. Then you need to set the track of Cubase to communicate again with the tone generator of the S90 ES. Next, determine if you need to do any more arpeggio recording, if not, set your Local Control back to OFF and continue to work as normal.

On the S90 ES
· Press the front panel [ARP ON/OFF] button to turn the LED OFF, thus shutting off the Arpeggio

In Cubase
· In the Inspector of your MIDI track, set the MIDI Out to feed the data you recorded to the Port that is connected to the S90 ES.

Recording arpeggio data from the S90 ES to your external sequencer will allow you to edit it further and take advantage of the tools found in your software. Remember you can cut and paste data to place it where you need it. The same arpeggio pattern can be varied in an almost infinite number of ways – learn to use chord inversions, rests and timing to your advantage. Enjoy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 02, 2008 @ 05:20 PM
Joined  09-06-2008

Dear Bad Mister,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply with such detail and insight!  I will carve out some time this weekend to walk thru your ‘tutorial’, and will certainly report on the outcome.  Always exciting to open new musical doors…

Sallman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2008 @ 04:04 PM
Joined  09-06-2008

Okay, so following the instructions above, I was able to get some arpeggio data into Cubase.  Mission accomplished.
So here’s the follow up: with the S90es in “local control = on”, but the arpeggio data being sent via MIDI to Cubase, there seems to be no way to hear what is being played during the recording process.  Is that right, or did I miss something?  The only way to hear the S90es while recording in Cubase is to have local control off.  So, if that’s the way it is, so be it.  But, if there’s a way to hear the arpeggio as it’s being recorded in Cubase, all the better...please advise, many thanks!

sallman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 07, 2008 @ 04:29 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You should be able to hear the arpeggio as you record (that is necessary in order to play) I’ll have to double check my instructions - as I said I do not have an S90 ES here to verify. And if Local Control is ON why can you not hear the S90 ES???

Local Control must be ON to properly use the arpeggiator. Your key presses are sent to the Arpeggiator prior to going to the tone generator - that should be sufficient from you to hear the S90 ES - don’t know what could be missing.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: October 30, 2008 @ 05:18 PM
Joined  09-06-2008

Dear BadMister...thanks again for your input here...I’m sure we’ll work it out.  I agree that with local control ON, I should be hearing output from the s90...so, maybe it’s a control issue within Cubase, or something in my mix setup. (I’m using a Yam N8, which as you know is seamless with Cubase...very nice) I’ll keep prodding; if you get any new insights (or find an s90es to experiment with) please advise.

Onward!

[ Ignore ]