mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sended out afther touch is much to sensitive"

Posted on: September 04, 2008 @ 12:47 AM
dorrus
Total Posts:  13
Joined  06-13-2008

Hello Motif fans.
I use a Motif xs7 as master keyboard ( use to have a xp80)
But since I use the motif as masterkeyboard I have a problem with a lot of my module-sounds (jv2080)
The afther touch is much to sensitive on the motif.
When I play sounds on the JV2080, the slightest touch on the motif is enough to activate the aftertouch at full proportions.
Is it possible to reduce the Motif afthertouch thats sended out via midi?
Or to reduce the sensitivity of the Motif’s Afther touch overall somewhere?
Thanx
Dorrus

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2008 @ 04:23 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: sended out afther touch is much to sensitive

the slightest touch on the motif is enough to activate the aftertouch at full proportions

the Aftertouch sensor starts sending data once the key has reached the bottom of key throw… from that point you will feel that you can apply pressure and get an additional travel of the key… It is in that space that aftertouch will send its full range of values, 0-127.

Perhaps it is the karate classes that you took that make your “slightest touch” the maximum 127.... we tend to think that is a bit of an exaggeration… But suffice it to say, that you are having issues with how much Aftertouch (AT) is sent from the XS7 controller. Unfortunately, there is no parameter that lets you scale the aftertouch being sent in the Motif XS.

What we can suggest is that you go to the following screen:
Press [SONG] or [PATTERN]
Press [SEQ SETUP]
Press [F2] MIDI FILTER
uncheck the filter on the XS’s sequencer IN column… this will allow you to record Aftertouch to the Motif XS sequencer. (remember to re-engage this filter when you are finished with this experiment - it defaults to being filtered for good reason).

Now you can perform tests on your “heavy-touch” versus “light-touch” technique… Like anything it requires practice and simply looking at the data that you create as you perform will help you get a handle on the touch that is required.

Remember, Aftertouch can be applied to softly struck notes (low velocity) as well as notes struck hard (high velocity); it is actually independent of the velocity. This fact can be a surprise to many new to working with AT. It is all about what you do to the key once it reaches bottom.

If this was a class in meditation… what you have to learn to do is be able to strike a note with 127 velocity but not send any aftertouch… Yes, it is possible, and yes, it takes practice. To know what velocity is versus what excessive force is and where that line is crossed, is what is at issue here. Trying to hit a note with significant velocity yet not start the Aftertouch sensor. I’ve seen many that can do it and I’ve also run into those that find it exceedingly difficult. No doubt it is more difficult on the synth action keybed versus a piano hammer weighted action.

Call up the following Voice for this exercise:
PRE 5: 032(B16) - Woody Harp

Some folks with (let’s call it) “weighted action strength” will not be able to play this sound on a synth-action keyboard, without a lot of practice. The reason is the Aftertouch is routed to a downward coarse tuning.

I hope you take this is the spirit I am passing this on - it is only based on my years of dealing with many, many players - but take the time and develop a technique for aftertouch....

Sure… wouldn’t it be nice… if the Aftertouch Curve was programmable (as it was on the VL1) but that is not so, the curve is fixed at a linear (normal): input matches output.

Hope what I offer here is some help.

Go to [EDIT]
Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F4] CTRL SET
Here you will discover that Aftertouch is being applied to both Coarse Tuning (-1) and Filter Cutoff (-6); so the harmonica will not only dip in pitch but darken slightly as you apply pressure.

For practice purposes set the Coarse Tuning parameter to (-16) approximately an octave of downward tuning… This octave of throw - will also allow you hear when AT = 127 as opposed to another value. It will also give you a sense of the subtle pressure you must apply to control the aftertouch… You may want to practice controlling a smooth dip in pitch as you slow sweep from original note to octave down. See if you can do a smooth sweep that takes a full 2 seconds. This will give your muscles in your fingers and your ear/brain a real sense of the control necessary to effectively work aftertouch. Remember we are dealing with only a few millimeters here.

and now attempt to play with and without significant velocity, and stay in tune. Once you begin to be able to do this you will begin to find that line between Note-on velocity and when AT is sent.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 12, 2009 @ 07:27 AM
kpatz
Total Posts:  397
Joined  08-24-2007

Re: sended out afther touch is much to sensitive

I was about to post a new thread on this, but found this one…

I too find the AT is too sensitive.  It’s especially apparent when controlling my sound modules which have more AT-using patches than the XS itself, or recording into Cubase, where even gentle playing seems to leave AT messages in the track.  I’m not a great, or professional keyboard player by any stretch, but it seems like getting Velocity=127 + AT=0 at the same time is like threading a needle.

Ideally there should be a minimum amount of pressure applied before AT starts to kick in.  Most other keyboards I’ve had with AT are like this, you hit the key (velocity), and get no AT messages unless you apply more pressure than is generated in normal (even high-velocity) playing.  Of course, it’s a balancing act, on one extreme is the XS where you practically get AT when you breathe on the keys, and the other extreme being vintage Rolands that required you to do handstands to get AT.  Incidentally, my Alesis Andromeda’s AT sensitivity is perfect.

Depending on how wide a pressure range the AT strip can sense, maybe a future OS update could add a minimum pressure threshold to generate AT, or add AT scaling like already exists for velocity?  I wonder if AT=127 is generated at the maximum sensed pressure on the strip, or if there’s some leeway there.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Good ol’ pattern chain playback
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››