mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Good ol’ pattern chain playback"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: September 03, 2008 @ 10:08 AM
pulse
Total Posts:  42
Joined  08-29-2007

Hi all,

I’ve recorded a series of section changes in a pattern chain and can see them all in their glory in the pattern chain edit screen. However, whenever I hit the play button in chain tab it just sits at the Section A ... looping away.

If I hit the foward or back buttons, the sections will change when the section event change is hit at the appropriate measure. It just doesn’t do it when its playing! Rather odd I thought.

Please tell me I’m being a dunderhead??

TVM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2008 @ 11:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Good ol’ pattern chain playback

In order to play your PATTERN CHAIN you must press [F5] CHAIN prior to pressing the PLAY button on the transport.

You will know you have selected your PATTERN CHAIN because it will say “Pattern Chain” in orange letters where the PATTERN number normally appears (upper left of the screen).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 03, 2008 @ 10:25 PM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

Much appreciated :-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2008 @ 10:19 AM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

Followed correctly to the best of my knowledge and I’m still not having any joy when I come to play the pattern chain from the chain tab. I definitely have “Pattern Chain” in orange where the pattern number usually is.

I’ve just re-recorded the pattern chain and its doing exactly the same thing again from the Pattern Chain Tab [F5].

However, I can put the cursor on the measure counter and jog wheel through the measures and the sections will change as the events fire off from the recorded chain. The section changes simply don’t work after you hit the play button.

I’m sure we’ve had this on the forum before but I couldn’t see a resolution to it, so any ideas anyone?? :-) Technical solutions are best, however a damn good thrashing is in the pipeline now /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2008 @ 11:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Save your data in an ALL Data file.... then…

Do a Factory Set as follows:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Press [ENTER]
Press [Yes]

Test the Factory PATTERN Demos each of which has a PATTERN CHAIN… do they play?

Also do you know what operating system is in your XS?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2008 @ 09:23 AM
pulse
Joined  08-29-2007

Thanks B_M

OK - all done on the Factory reset and I’m running with v1.10.

Factory patterns play through the chain with all section changes being processed.

In addition, I quickly created phrases in 3 different sections and recorded a pattern chain. When I played the chain, it also changed section as expected :-) All good news.

Then I reloaded the X0A file to get my composition back and tried replaying the chain. No section changes with playback here, so I thought I’d rerecord the pattern chain. Still no luck after this either, the highlighted section simply loops.

However, any new pattern I create seems to work just fine!
I bet it’s that dodgy Linux Kernal y’know ;-)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 12:55 AM
christof
Total Posts:  64
Joined  06-14-2007

Exactly the same issue!

Whatever I do, the pattern chain sits at section A; I can step through with the back and forward buttons though and it would switch like it was recorded.  It just won’t happen automatically.

This impacts the ability to drop the chain to a song: when I try this, the song just contains section A for the whole length!!

I’m stuck now - I do not want to loose the song I created in pattern mode by any way and DO need to get it exported to a proper song.

Any help on this bug would be very much appreciated!
I’m running the latest OS update - rebooting / resetting doesn’t work!

Christof

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 01:35 AM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

pattern chain works perfectly well, but you need to record your chain first obviously…

In fact patterns and chain recording is one of the coolest things in motif XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 01:51 AM
christof
Joined  06-14-2007

??  Apologies but I’m not considering myself a newbie to the XS.  My chain is set up perfectly well - thank you very much.  I can edit the sequence of sections; I can step through (just as explained) what the XS refuses to do though (in ONE PARTICULAR PATTERN) is to play the chain.  It’s stuck in the first section.  There’s other patterns that work just fine.  (And copying over to another one doesn’t help either.)

This happens in MY case - I’m hitting a bug here.  I’m not talking about you or anyone else for that matter.  So I’d appreciate if you’d be respectful and allow people to help instead of making fun of the situation: my data is stuck in the pattern and I can’t export to a song, hence not even able to dump the chain to a WAV file.

Thanks,
Christof

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 01:56 AM
canadave
Total Posts:  304
Joined  07-11-2007

Interesting....

Maybe you could attach the .X0A file in question, so one of us could try it out and see if we get the same problem with it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 02:07 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

christof,
I’m not clear where do you see me being not respectful /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt=
Believe me fun is good for you…

Did you try record your chain instead of editing it?
If that won’t work, I’d re record you section in question again,
or post your pattern here.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 02:08 AM
christof
Joined  06-14-2007

... which is what I’m doing *right now* :-)

I have:
- modified the complex pattern by throwing out all but 2 of the most simple sections
- saved this “repro pattern” to an ALL file
- reset the whole XS back to factory settings
- loaded the “faulty” pattern + chain from the ALL file into pattern location 1
- tested again to see if bug was still there

So:
- try and load the included ALL file
- move to pattern 1
- try to play the chain: it should move from pattern A to B after 4 measures (as you can also see when editing the pattern)

Let me know what this does…
Many thanks!

Christof

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 02:13 AM
christof
Joined  06-14-2007

Not sure if it would matter, but the chain was recorded and not entered manually.  Tried like 50 times re-recording the chain, none of the attempts succeeded.

Note that if you are on measure 6 in the chain, pauze the pattern and would step back 1 measure - the section is adjusted automatically.  So it does know what it is *supposed* to do… just not doing it when playing the chain…

Seems like the XS is confused on some of the midi data in the pattern.  Sigh…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 02:36 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

yeah, the first pattern chain doesn’t work, the other two “fractal” and “down here” work fine. The first one I tried to re record and still won’t play nothing but section A.
interesting…
probably you have used some illegal notes… /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 03:05 AM
christof
Joined  06-14-2007

Same behavior here indeed.  My data is now “stuck” in the pattern + chain… I’m at a point where I can’t continue to work on the song unless I could export:
- export to Song is not an option because of this bug
- Cubase only knows how to deal with Songs for import…

Any help from Yamaha would be greatly appreciated.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 16, 2008 @ 03:33 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

OK, I got it that “Initialize Drum” is the problem, when I delete this track chain works fine.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ All Data File?
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››