mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Mixing"

Posted on: September 02, 2008 @ 06:56 AM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

Hello Mo Folkers (LOL),

I am posting some techniques I use while mixing. This was in reponse to an e-mail I received from a Mo person. I am not an expert mix engineer, but below are just some methods I use:

I don’t mind giving you tips. LOL. Thanks for the message.

When I mix, I like to just start with everything up the middle. Sometimes, I do the initial mix in mono just to see if anything will clash as far as frequencies or rhythmic concerns. After the initial mix, I might then go back and do a mix in stereo. At that point, I might do some panning. After that, I could go into some plug-ins and adjust EQs on some things, or try out other elements (i.e. phaser on a string line at the end of the chorus, etc.). Finally, I automate changes (either record or written automation) and bounce to a track and burn that to CD.

I do my mixing in ProTools, so everything is visual and pretty much laid out how I like it. I often do parallel compression on a drum submix where I route all the drums to 2 aux tracks and one track I leave as a drum submix and the other track I would put in a compressor and blend that in with the original drum submix.

If vocals are involved, you should try to give the artist as many options as possible. For example, if the song is 5 minutes long, try to give them a 3 minute edited version for radio. Maybe mix an instrumental for them. Also give them a version with the vocals up a bout 3 dB just to have that option as well.

I also know of some mix engineers that actually play the song and mix each track individually. By this, I mean that the first pass may focus just on the kick drum and the engineer puts their finger on the fader for the kick and never takes it off. That is the first pass. The second pass might be the snare drum. As you can see this could take hours upon hours and sometimes it is well worth it.

I’m sure more experienced mixers have their professional methods and go to Plug-Ins. I am a fan of the Sci-Fi and Sans-Amp plug ins in ProTools. I also like the MC77 and other Bomb Factory compressors. I’m sure there are plenty of others, but these are pretty cheap (free for me, because my job has them).

Another thing that I do is this: record every track that uses a plug in onto another audio track. So if I use a reverb plug in on the piano track, I will route the piano track to another audio track and record that. I do this because if I want to take the session to another studio, what if they do not have the plug-ins I used? No problem, I have the original track and I also have the track recorded with the plug in. (Does that make sense?).

Not sure if this helps any, but I hope it does…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2008 @ 02:53 PM
Q-Bace
Total Posts:  57
Joined  08-16-2008

Re: Mixing

Hi Da Fingaz, Thanks for your tips and detailed mixing strategies.
Your style, your way!
I like it, I will incorporate this into my workflow.
thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Peace:

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 05, 2008 @ 07:40 PM
dafingaz
Joined  07-13-2004

QBace,

You are welcome. And welcome to the forum!!!…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 06, 2008 @ 09:37 AM
saeef
Total Posts:  649
Joined  06-24-2005

After the initial mix, I might then go back and do a mix in stereo. At that point, I might do some panning.

You mix in stereo...then you *might* do some panning? How do *you* mix in stereo?  reverb?
salsa

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 06, 2008 @ 01:30 PM
dafingaz
Joined  07-13-2004

When you have stereo tracks and mix in stereo, it is a totally different sound from when you have stereo tracks and mix in mono. Sorry for the confusion....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2008 @ 08:01 AM
KyleB
Total Posts:  2722
Joined  12-03-2002

this was one of the first articles i read on mixing

[url=http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/articles/stereomix.htm]http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/articles/stereomix.htm [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ email notifications from motiforum?
Next Topic:

OMNISPHERE= 40 GB of Pure Power ››