mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Echoing Back to Keyboard/Controller."

Posted on: September 02, 2008 @ 05:40 AM
rroberrt
Total Posts:  11
Joined  09-01-2008

Looking forward to receiving my new Rack ES in the next few days and in the meantime perusing the manual re connections. Page 19 shows close to what I’ll need, “Using a Computer and an External Midi Keyboard Together”.

However, (there’s always one - right) in addition to using sounds from a) the rack and b) the computer (Sonar+softsynths), I also need to be able to echo back to c) the external synth to trigger it’s own sounds.

Thanks to the USB I can see a number of possibilities, (such as the tip about thru port setting on the same page) but wonder what the ‘pros’ do. :--)

My sequencing/recording is done in Sonar - no Multis in my future - which might simplify things, since my MIDI skills are shaky.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 04, 2008 @ 12:08 PM
Derek Cook
Total Posts:  249
Joined  12-31-2005

Re: Echoing Back to Keyboard/Controller.

You could use the Rack’s MIDI through port to echo the data back to the synth. You will need to set the synth so that it’s Local off setting disconnects the keyboard from the tone generator.

That should work!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 08, 2008 @ 05:52 PM
rroberrt
Joined  09-01-2008

Thanks Derek. I will be trying that. It looks like setting up the rack is a little more complicated - page 17 - like multi and synch. Not too bad tho.

Another, simpler approach would be a MIDI switch that would split the ‘Out’ signal from the keyboard and send one way or the other. Still looking…

A beautiful little rack!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 09, 2008 @ 01:02 PM
rroberrt
Joined  09-01-2008

Just to close this out....rather than go the ‘MIDI Thru’ route - which does seem quite feasible, even for a dunderhead like me - I’ve ordered an ‘USB MIDI Interface’, by MOTU called a “micro lite’.

Couldn’t download a manual, so not quite sure how it works...but ever the optimist!

Thanks again Derek.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Bossa Nova Track in Performance mode?
Next Topic:

Spdif ››