mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Problem with PLG150AP latency in master mode"

Posted on: August 28, 2008 @ 01:04 AM
dr_boehm
Total Posts:  0
Joined  10-08-2004

Hi Folks!

I am using my motif es with the plg150ap and the plg100vh board. I have problems with latency of the plg150ap:

1) i set up a master mode with 2 zones selecting a song
2) the motif es is connected with a software to emulate auto accomp of the psr keyboards (live-styler)
3) Sometimes when i change a chord in zone 2 (just sends midi outs) notes in zone 1 (plg150ap, routed to tone generator) will sound delayed. I think this is because the software sends some midi events back (new notes on, controllers, etc)
4) This does not happen with internal sounds only with the plg150ap
5) When i play the plg150ap in voice mode or in song mode all is fine, no delays.

Can anybody help?

Many thanks in advance,

Dirk.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 28, 2008 @ 06:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Problem with PLG150AP latency in master mode

For help with this you would need to provide the following information:
What does “the motif es is connected with a software” mean? What software?
What Port is the PLG150-AP setup on?
Are you using MIDI (5-pin), USB, or mLAN to address the computer (presumably one is involved) and what driver are you using? What type of computer?
Are you working with Local ON or OFF?

The AP board is fine since you say it works as intended (Voice mode and Song mode)… so one would conclude that is has something to do with the software or the routing of MIDI data to the PLG150-AP.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2008 @ 01:47 AM
dr_boehm
Joined  10-08-2004

Hi Bad Mister!

I wil try to make this more conrete:

1) The motif es is running in master mode, the master selects a song just for the mixing and to make the motif es a multi-timbral sound module that can receive on all 16 channels.

2) The master divides the keyboard in 2 zones: one zone sends out per midi (i will call it left hand) and the other zone routes directly to the tone generator.

3) Left hand zone is on channel 2, right hand zone is on channel3, channel3 is routed in the mixing to the plg150ap

4) the computer is connected via usb with the motif

5) the software emulates the auto accomp found on yamaha psr keyboards. It analyzes the chords that come in on channel 2 and sends midi events to the channels 9 to 16 to generate the accomp. incl. many controller events.

6) when i change a chord on channel 2 i often get a delay on the plg150ap of about 1/3 to 1/2 seconds. This makes me wonder, because right hand on channel 1 is sent directly to the tone generator in the master setup, so i would expect that to go in time even when midi is getting overloaded (what i do not expect to be an issue of the usb 1.1 connection). 

7) When i change the mixing so that channel 3 is routed to an motif internal piano sound there is no more delay. All is running fine. Even if i route channel 3 to the computer, the accomp software and back there is no noticable delay with the internal sound.

The plg150ap is mounted in slot 2, plg100vh is monted in slot 1. Auto accomp is comming in on port 2 and 3, channel 2 (left hand) is send out on port 1, i plan to use port 4 for remote control of the accomp software later.

8) I am using windows xp on an old tablet pc (fujitsu stylistic lt c-500 with 256mb ram and 500 mhz celeron cpu.

9) The usb midi driver is what i downloaded last week from the motifator or yamaha site. Version no: 2.2.2

Any help would fine!!

Thanks a lot,

Dirk.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2008 @ 04:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Here are the questions I still await answers to:

“the motif es is connected with a software” What software?
What Port is the PLG150-AP setup on?
Are you working with Local ON or OFF?

Also you say the following:
“The plg150ap is mounted in slot 2, plg100vh is monted in slot 1. Auto accomp is comming in on port 2 and 3, channel 2 (left hand) is send out on port 1, i plan to use port 4 for remote control of the accomp software later.”

Auto accomp is coming in on port 2 and 3???? So I must assume you are working with local off… I’m working in the dark here… but I have no idea if you misunderstood my question or this is in fact what you are doing. SLOT is not PORT… when I ask about PORT I mean what USB PORT. There are four possible USB PORTS
PORT 1 is always fixed as the internal Motif
PORT 2 could be a PLG150-series board
PORT 3 could be a PLG150-series board or a Remote controlport
PORT 4 could be a Remote control port

The Motif internal tone engine itself can receive only on PORT 1. It is fixed to port 1 - it cannot be changed. That will always be true.

The reason I need to know what Port your PLG150-AP is on is to determine if you are triggering it directly or through this (still) unnamed ‘software’…

Let’s say your PLG150-AP is on PORT 2, then key presses will travel out via USB-MIDI to your software and then back to the Motif via USB-MIDI IN and arrive at the PLG150-AP. This would explain the difference between assigning an internal sound, which as mentioned is fixed on PORT 1, and the delay or “latency” you are experiencing when you route signal through your software.

But I cannot be definitive about it because I don’t know the software and still don’t know your port assignments or if you are indeed working with Local ON or OFF.

Sending Accompaniment into the Motif on Port 3???? is well, I don’t know what that is doing. The Motif cannot use it to play internal sounds and unless you have some other PLG board (not mentioned) that data is not used by the Motif. It could be passed THRU the Motif if you assign the TRHU PORT parameter to PORT 3 - then it would simply be routed to the MIDI OUT jack on the back panel of the Motif.

To see your PLG PORT assignments:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] PLUG
Press [SF2] MIDI
Here you will see that the PLG100-VH PORT is shown as (1)… the 1 is in parenthesis because it also if fixed at port 1 as it uses the AD INPUT and note data from the Motif internal tone engine (also fixed to PORT 1).

Your PLG150-series boards can occupy Port (off, 1, 2, or 3)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2008 @ 09:16 AM
dr_boehm
Joined  10-08-2004

Hi Bad Mr.,

here are the infos:

The software is called live-styler and you can find an english description at “http://www.live-styler.de/home/”.

Motif utility mode says that “local on”; “RcvBulk protect”, “Ctrl Change is mode2”, banksel is on and pgmchange is on.
BasicRcvCh = 1, KBDTransCh=1,DeviceNo=all, midi in/out=usb, ThruPort=8

Plug1=PLG100-VH
Plug2=PLG150-AP
PolyExpand=Off

The computer is connected to the standard motif es usb port.
All events coming from the software are on usb-midi-port 1 on channels 9 to 16. (it really makes no difference when i select other midi usb ports of the motif. The midi events allways were routed to the motif tone generator).

Through the master setup i triigger the plg150ap direct (TGSwitch on, Midi switch off) with the “right hand” on channel 1. Zone 2 sends the midi events to the accomp software and not to the tone generator (TGSwitch off, midi switch on).

I hope that makes my problem more clear. Thanks for your time!

Ciao, Dirk.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 29, 2008 @ 06:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry but you still have not answered my question:

To see your PLG PORT assignments:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F6] PLUG
Press [SF2] MIDI

______Dev No___Port No.
Plug 1 --- all --- __ ???
Plug 2 --- all ---___ ???

I need to know the PORT NO.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 30, 2008 @ 12:16 AM
dr_boehm
Joined  10-08-2004

Hi Bad Mr.,
sorry, overlooked that !

Plug1 Devno=all, portno=(1)
Plug2 Devno=all, portno=1
Plug3 Devno=all, portno=off, ***

The plg150ap only sounds when i set the portno to 1.

Again, many thanks for your effort!

Ciao, Dirk.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: September 01, 2008 @ 11:13 PM
dr_boehm
Joined  10-08-2004

Hi Bad Mister,

any idea to help me?

Many thanks in advance,

Dirk.