mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Question about PLG150-AP card piano sound"

Posted on: August 21, 2008 @ 03:35 PM
simajanpa
Total Posts:  0
Joined  04-27-2004

My question is about the stock piano sound/sample from the PLG150-ap piano card.
I have this card installed in my Rack ES.
I truely love this piano sound, and was wondering if the new Rack XS has this EXACT sound/sample in it.
I’ve read that there is no card slot on the new XS box, so I need to know this data point.
I can’t live with just the Triton Extreme piano, it’s OK in the mix and for live work, but for passages played alone, it just doesn’t cut it for my tastes.

Thanks
Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 23, 2008 @ 05:14 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Question about PLG150-AP card piano sound

We used to call that, “looking for a get out of jail free card...” meaning looking for a reason not to commit to a new product. In the end the best thing to do is to play the piano in the Motif-Rack XS and spend some time with it.

No it is not EXACT… as you note the PLG150-AP is on a PLG board. So first the fidelity and audio path of the internal Motif Rack XS will be much better. Next the technology has improved quite a bit since the PLG150-AP.

The acoustic pianos in the Motif Rack XS are indeed a sample of the same Yamaha CFIII concert grand piano… but the Rack XS features the following improvements:

_ Expanded 8 Element architecture. The 8 Elements (multi-samples) are used to create a 4-way velocity switching main body of the piano from the lowest note up to G5. Above G#5 there is a 3-way velocity switch… the 8th Element is KEY-OFF sound (the unique sound of the felt when it falls back and ends the string vibration). This little bit is something you will not find in previous Motif-series or PLG boards.

_ Half-Damper. Half-damper is the ability to get more sustain articulation. Most sustain in synth engines is ON or OFF… on a piano there is the ability to particular mute the strings by how far the sustain pedal is pressed. The Rack XS engine is able to respond to continous cc064 messages, 000-127. 

_ Damper Resonance. This adds the sympathetic vibrations of strings responding inside the piano. When the sustain pedal is down (dampers raised) the notes related to those sounding will also start to vibrate. The pianos in the Rack XS are able to simulate this subtle but important condition.

So in additional to higher quality audio pathway, the new Full Concert Grand piano in the Motif Rack XS has more technology behind it, more tone sources, brand new effect processing developed specifically for the piano Voices…

Whether you like it more or not, is something only *you* can decide… but is it EXACTLY the same? - definitely no. And that is why it is not called the “PLG150-AP” piano… it is a new product and a new piano. It could very well be derived from the same sample data - but because it is in a new, higher quality audio situation, with new higher quality effects, etc, etc., that point is moot… the piano sample in our smallest portable could be derived from the same data as our most expensive digital piano… they are going to be treated entirely differently to match the product they go in. So in general yes it is a Yamaha CFIII concert grand… but you will have to play it. That will answer all your questions. (It is the same in the XS keyboard as it is in the Motif Rack XS).

If you like it, then that is all that matters. We like it, and are betting if you liked where the PLG150-AP was going, you will very much like this new pianos as implemented in the XS series.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 26, 2008 @ 08:47 AM
simajanpa
Total Posts:  0
Joined  04-27-2004

Re: Question about PLG150-AP card piano sound

I do realize that I need to spend some quality time with the new XS rack.
I probably will buy and A-B it at home, this is not something I
can do at Guitar Center.
Your insight was most helpful.

Peace
Paul

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Serious Help Needed - Midi/Sound Quest
Next Topic:

Bossa Nova Track in Performance mode? ››