mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Digital Out"

Posted on: August 18, 2008 @ 10:31 AM
matsonmusicbox
Total Posts:  0
Joined  03-30-2007

Hi - I’m thinking of starting to use the digital out (RCA plug SPDIF) to got to my Fireface 800 interface. As I read though, it would appear that the SPDIF out only supports 44.1K at 24 bits. I record all my stuff at 88.2/24.

So my question is - what happens if I hook this up and try to record in my 88.2 project? Does it just not work? Is there anyway to get an 88.2 digital signal?

Thanks - just learning this digital stuff.

KenM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 18, 2008 @ 03:03 PM
keith.roche
Total Posts:  837
Joined  01-29-2007

Re: Digital Out

Not sure about what you want.
But I know that 44.1k/24 is actually perfect for TOTALLY Digital Audio.
If you run your signals through Outboard Analog Stuffs, then I guess you need to go for higher sample rates, like the one you are using currently.

Someone would be here to help soon ! lol

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 19, 2008 @ 05:18 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Digital Out

When you record digitially you are only transferring 0’s and 1’s. The sample rate of the source and the target must match.

If you want to use S/PDIF then you will want to set your target at 44.1kHz/24bit.

If your gear is not capable of converting in realtime and you rather work at 88.2kHz connect the analog outputs of the source to the digital inputs of your target and let it sample the data @ 88.2kHz. If you want to sample at 88.2kHz do so… That is always available.

...Unless of course, your target device has SRC - realtime Sample Rate Conversion… in which case the adjustment will be made.  For example, if you were going to the Yamaha 01X digital console via S/PDIF it features SRC and will simply convert the incoming signal so you will not get a mismatch. Check to see if your Fireface 800 (?) has SRC.

Usually units will not let you make a mistake. If it cannot lock to the clock source it will give you an error. It may automatically sample at the rate you set no matter the source clock; Or it may automatically adjust to the source clock (44.1kHZ); or it may just give you an error. But S/PDIF being consumer - usually you will not be in the dark and you will not be able to proceed if it is at all dangerous to your gear.

Bad results will be filled with clicks and pops… you’ll know right away… Look for warning indications and by all means check the documentation of your target device.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ need help with hooking up aw1600 to motif es 8
Next Topic:

n series and 01x ››