mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI In and MIDI Out settings for Midi tracks"

Posted on: August 10, 2008 @ 06:59 PM
jfled
Total Posts:  88
Joined  08-13-2007

I have a MO 8 and I am using an Alesis IO 26 as my audio interface. And I am I using Sonar 7. I have a song sequneced on the MO that I want to record over to Sonar. I have to rebuild my PC so I don’t remember what settings I used to record the 6 differenet MIDI tracks from the MO to Sonar. For track one, channel on what do I use for the Input? There are several to choose from but I can’t seem to get the combination of the input and the output correct. For example, in one setting I can record just fine, but then when I playback I hear nothing. The other setting combo recorded and played back, but after the recording was done, I noticed that Sonar had replaced the track volume to 127 for all the tracks on the MO.  I wanted to keep the same volume that was on the MO. So here are my options for Input, please tell me which one I should use:

All Inputs > MIDI Omni, CH 1, CH 2, etc

2 - Alesis Firewire MIDI - Omni, CH 1, CH 2, etc

Yamaha MO8 - 1 Omni CH 1, CH 2, etc

Yamaha MO8 - 2 Omni CH 1, CH 2, etc

Yamaha MO8 - 3 Omni CH 1, CH 2, etc

Yamaha MO8 - 4 Omni CH 1, CH 2, etc

NOW FOR THE OUR TPUT CHOICE:

Alesis Firewire MIDI

2 - Yamaha MO8 - 1

3 - Yamaha MO8 - 2

4 - Yamaha MO8 - 3

etc, etc

9 - Yamaha MO8 - 8

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2008 @ 08:01 PM
Astral
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  01-26-2007

Re: MIDI In and MIDI Out settings for Midi tracks

Your tracks will be corresponding. For track 1 Yamaha MO8 - 1 Omni CH 1, CH 2, 2 - Yamaha MO8 - 1, and so on for each channel.

Your Alesis doing MIDI? Is it able to do Audio as well? How many tracks (Ins/Outs) for MIDI and Audio?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2008 @ 08:24 PM
jfled
Joined  08-13-2007

My Alesis in NOT doing MIDI. I am using USB MIDI from the Yamaha MO 8 to the PC. The Alesis is doing Audio, but I don’t have audio tracks yet, just all MIDI. I have 8 tracks for MIDI. So what would be the Inputs and what would be the output settings?.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 10, 2008 @ 08:34 PM
Astral
Total Posts:  1167
Joined  01-26-2007

This is what you posted:

- Alesis Firewire MIDI - Omni, CH 1, CH 2, etc

That says “midi” and “Alesis”.

Create MIDI track, not audio. It will show a list of MIDI In/Out options. Set everything correspondingly to what you have on MO.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2008 @ 05:07 AM
jfled
Joined  08-13-2007

Right, I know how to create a MIDI track, I have 8 of them in my project. That is not the issue, the issue is I’m not sure what to set the input and output of each midi track to as the settings I have tried do not seem to work correctly. For instance, I set up all the tracks in sonar as such,

INPUT for Track 1:
Yamaha MO8 - CH 1
OUTPUT for Track 1:
Alesis Firewire MIDI

INPUT for Track 2:
Yamaha MO8 - CH 2
OUTPUT for Track 2:
Alesis Firewire MIDI

This records fine. But when I am done recording and want to hear it in Sonar there is no sound. So then I tried these settings:

INPUT for Track 1:
Yamaha MO8 - CH 1
OUTPUT for Track 1:
2 - Yamaha MO8 - 1

INPUT for Track 2:
Yamaha MO8 - CH 2
OUTPUT for Track 2:
2 - Yamaha MO8 - 1

When I recorded this Sonar set the volume on all of my tracks on the MO to 127. I don’t remember it doing that before. I thought Sonar would use the volume I set on the MO. It did not do this on the 1 scenario.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2008 @ 07:02 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Cakewalk will only set the volume to what you have on the MO if:

1> The MO TRANSMITS the Volume as a MIDI Message (CC7).
2> Cakewalk is set to RECORD control changes for CC7.  This usually requires RECORD AUTOMATION.

If you heard what you were playing in SCENARIO 1, then the MO must have been set to LOCAL, because Cakewalk would not have sent the MIDI data back to the MO.

When you record in CAKEWALK using a KB that’s acting as a CONTROLLER as well as the TONE GENERATOR, then you need to set the KB’s LOCAL CONTROL to OFF.

Then in Cakewalk, you need to set your INPUT and OUTPUT to be the same channel (usually ONE, but your mileage my vary.)

If you’re recording in PERFORMANCE mode (or MULTI as the RACK calls it) then your KB must be assigned to the correct part, and the part’s channel# must agree with CAKEWALK’s in and out channel #s.

The only time you would have an INPUT DEVICE being different than the OUTPUT device is if, for example, you were using Keyboard 1 to generate tones on a DIFFERENT Tone Generator.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2008 @ 07:07 AM
jfled
Joined  08-13-2007

Tony, that is the problem, Scenario one DOES NOT let me hear the playback AFTER I recorded the tracks. I recorded the tracks in Sonar. When I was finished, I rewound the oroject. Hit play, sonar moves along the tracks, but no sound comes out of the monitors. Sound does come out of the monitors WHILE I record, just not after during playback.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2008 @ 12:05 PM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

If you’re using the MO directly (ie, the Alesis has nothing to do with it MIDI-wise...)

Track 1>
INPUT -> Channel: Omni, Device MO8
OUTPUT -> Channel 1, Device MO8

Track 2>
INPUT -> Channel: Omni, Device MO8
OUTPUT -> Channel 2, Device MO8.

Set the MO8 Local Control OFF.

Set CAKEWALK to ECHO (so that what you play on the MO8 will go to CAKEWALK, then instantly back to the MO so you can hear what you’re recording.)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2008 @ 05:08 PM
jfled
Joined  08-13-2007

Okay turning Local Ctrl Off on the Mo worked. But with Local Ctrl Off I can’t hear any sound out of the MO when I press the keys. When I run the Seq on the MO I hear the sounds, but if I go to Voice on the MO there is no sound. Do I always have to toggle the Local Ctrl?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 11, 2008 @ 06:07 PM
TonyPhillips
Joined  09-16-2005

Your alternative is to keep local control ON and turn ECHO OFF on the Motif… I don’t know the details of the MO.  It MIGHT not send any MIDI data if local control is ON, so that might NOT be an option.

I just find it more convenient to do the former; but then again I always am using EXTERNAL controllers with a RACK, so your mileage may vary.

There’s always things ya have to fiddle with when you’re recording versus just playing around.. 

For me, I have two options (since I’m a RACK user, Local Control is kinda moot.)

1> If I want to record, I have to put my RACK on USB mode, which requires my computer to be up and running.

2> If I just want to goof around, I have to put my RACK on MIDI so that I don’t have to boot up the PC.

When my PC is running with the rack in USB mode, I use the RACK’s real MIDI ports to read my external controller, then ECHO them back the RACK via the USB MIDI.  When my PC is NOT running (thus the MIDI mode is set to MIDI) everything goes directly to the RACK.  That way, I don’t have to recable to play around versus actually Cakewalking.  I guess that’s really an anolog to external versus local control.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ TWEAKING SONAR 7 FOR MOTIF XS
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››