mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "do you like XS sequencer?"

Page 1 of 3
Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 03:55 AM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

do you think it’s worthy to invest time in learning XS sequencer and find out sooner or later it’s too buggy and too limited?  Not to mention it’s inconvenient and slow to use. One stupid thing I’d like to have is counter/timer and I won’t get it so I think to myself maybe it’s time to invest in dedicated hardware sequencer/sampler and not to waste time recording with XS.

DF mentioned he created whole CD with XS, how many time faster and better would you do it with something like MV-8800?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 10:00 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

Re: do you like XS sequencer ?

looks like nobody likes XS sequencer… well, no wonder…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 10:22 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

I think the matter is worn out.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 10:27 AM
Dreamflight
Total Posts:  2688
Joined  03-07-2008

I have created much of a CD with the sequencer, not a whole one.

I use the following techniques based around the XS sequencer:

1) Conventional ‘record the song in sequencer mode’ approach

2) Recording layers into the sequencer then recording them off onto my VS2480, and reusing the sequencer to do new layers.

3) Using the XS sequencer to drive other synths

By adopting combinations of these three things I’m very happy with the results.

I’m working hard on an album at the moment, but I’ll post a sample of the output I’m getting from the XS sequencer if you want.

“Chasing Rainbows” (at either of the below links) is a preview of the forthcoming album and is a track that was done on the XS sequencer.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 11:31 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

thanks for sharing DF,
so you do have stand alone, dedicated hardware sequencer…

As I figured XS is used mostly for scratch pad and the mayor work is done on the VS-2480. That’s the idea I finally getting to either.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 11:54 AM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

so you do have stand alone, dedicated hardware sequencer…

As I figured XS is used mostly for scratch pad and the mayor work is done on the VS-2480.

No that’s incorrect, you figured wrong :-)

I do not use any dedicated external sequencer. The VS2480 is a recorder I use to do some mixing and post production. It has no sequencing.

All the main work is done on the XS using the sequencer. The track sounds identical on the XS sequencer to the recorded version. I just used the recorder to combine sections of sequenced music together, and to burn to CD afterwards.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 01:10 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

I use the ES sequencer which I presume is very similar to the XS. Once you learn it, it is a very effective tool. I do all my music on it and mix and master as well. I use an AW16 for my vocals and mix my music (ES) and vocals to a stereo track on the AW and remaster, similar to Dreamflight. I’ve gotten some very good results. I happen to prefer hardware for the simple fact that I can spend more time on the creative side VS the technical side.

Bad_Mister once responded to a similar question of mine. He said it is a matter of what you get used to and are comfortable with. The bottom line is the music. It doesn’t matter how you get there.

Because I have spent my time on the creative side, I have learned to achieve some amazing results with what some would consider limited equipment. Just think of some of the great albums in the past that were done on far more inferior equipment. The deeper you get into your equipment, the greater your results. I have spent many years in the past always tring to upgrade my equipment and failing to learn my equipment to it’s fullest. I’ve since changed my thinking on this and it works for me.

Pete
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 08:17 PM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

OK, I’ve tried one more time and my frustration got even farther.

It’s total mess, bugs, awkward and slow work flow, I could kill my self continuing to work with it - it’s over, I won’t use it anymore for my projects.

p.s.
Motif XS is not a workstation, it’s a synthesizer nothing more.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 08:35 PM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

Motif XS is not a workstation, it’s a synthesizer nothing more.

So I’ve just completed 3/4 of an album using a synthesizer that’s not a workstation?

ROFL.

Just finished another track last night, this one is ENTIRELY on the sequencer, no external devices whatsoever. Most pleased with it.

Df.

PS: Name 3 bugs in the sequencer, heck, name even 1 or 2 ...

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 10:08 PM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

>>>So I’ve just completed 3/4 of an album using a synthesizer that’s not a workstation?

only because maybe you’re very talented and you have a lot of free time to deal with this frustrating machine.
I’d be very interested to listen to one of your songs to see how did you do it, how long did it take, and how many beers did you drink doing this /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 31, 2008 @ 10:16 PM
PeterS
Joined  09-12-2002

It is really quite efficeint once you learn it. It’s not a problem of bugs, but rather learning and understanding it. Within the learning curve, it seems quirky at times and can be frustrating. But once you understand it, it is a pleasure to use. I have done entire songs in one day once I am on a role. And that is all the instrumentation.

Where are you having problems??? I have found it easier to start in Pattern mode and work one section at a time. Afterwards I convert to Song mode.

Pete

PS. No matter what you use, there is always a learning curve.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2008 @ 02:27 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Del, I’m rather stupid and I spend few time on the sequencing.
Still I get some music out of it.
Your funny remarks and pictures on this forum made me think
you were more intelligent than me.
If not, don’t sack the machine you can’t handle.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2008 @ 05:58 AM
delirium
Joined  11-16-2006

sciuriware,
don’t be harsh on yourself, you’re intelligent too /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

Of course I got some music out of it also, but I just hate the workflow,
it is like scratching your left ear with your right hand all the time. Sure you can do it but why??? We asked yamaha to do some workflow improvements and logic changes on recorder and they didn’t listen so I give up. If you like XS sequencer it that’s fine, but I’m not masochist /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt=

DF I didn’t name yet those bugs because they’re new discoveries and it’s not easy to catch them when you want it. What happened most recently: recorder got stack after dozen takes and didn’t record anything but showing recording mode anyway. Although I played drums a little in my youth I have hard time recording simple ride cymbal correctly (I can still do it on real cymbals though). I couldn’t erase note which I recorded day before in overdub, I could erase all new ones but not old. Working with audio tracks is just ridiculous. etc etc etc

OK, I won’t complain anymore because I won’t use it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2008 @ 09:15 AM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

OK, here is a link to an MP3 file of the track I finished 48 hours ago (at the time of writing) using nothing but the XS sequencer.

[url=http://eddy.deegan.org/demos/XS-Renewal.mp3]http://eddy.deegan.org/demos/XS-Renewal.mp3 [/url]

I would have attached it to this post but at just over 7Mb it’s over the forum attachment filesize limit.

This audio track is a direct recording from the XS to my HHB CDR-830 CD recorder. No other equipment was used before, during or afterwards. What you hear is exactly what’s coming out of the XS when I hit ‘Play’ on the sequencer.

You may or may not like the genre, but this is to illustrate that in my view you can get good results from the XS alone.

It also has a range of things in it - quiet piano to start, then building and finishing with breakbeats etc. It starts quietly and ends energetically.

I might be adding new tracks to it later (vox/guitar etc) but this is the XS all alone. It’ll definitely be going on the album.

It only took 3 days to write and record (not full time, just evenings) and I really enjoyed the process. I love working on the XS. No beer was involved

Oh, it’s called ‘XS Renewal’. It is also my copyright, and uploaded here purely in the context of this thread, NOT for any commercial purposes.

As for those folks who keep moaning about the workflow and features on the XS at every opportunity, I’d sure like to hear what you’re doing with the gear you say is so much better… talk is cheap. Music speaks.

Df.

PS: To compare and contrast, here is a track I did a few years ago on the Yamaha SY85 sequencer. This is just the output of the sequencer on that machine. 8 tracks, 2 dual FX units and 4Mb of playback-only sample RAM. The SY85 has a 2 line character based LCD screen :-)

[url=http://eddy.deegan.org/demos/Raven.mp3]http://eddy.deegan.org/demos/Raven.mp3 [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2008 @ 09:24 AM
PeterS
Joined  09-12-2002

Very nice Dreamflight. Which Piano did you use??

Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: August 01, 2008 @ 09:30 AM
Dreamflight
Joined  03-07-2008

Thank you Pete.

Pre 1, A01, Full Concert Grand. Just ‘as is’ in Song mode with a bit of reverb and a touch of EQ, rolling off the mid a bit to make it cut through better in the mix.

Df.

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ CUBASE BELIEVE IT OR NOT
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››