mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MIDI control of Performance Part Mute"

Posted on: July 23, 2008 @ 07:40 AM
rohdeww
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-23-2008

I’m setting up a foot controller (FCB1010 with the Uno firmware) to control my Motif Rack ES. Thanks to other posts, I’ve got it switching performance patches just fine.

The last thing I’d like the FCB1010 to do is control the individual mutes of each performance part, similar to what is available on the front panel. I think I saw that there are some SysEx methods of doing this, but the FCB1010 doesn’t support SysEx, just CC’s and Prg Chg.

I don’t see this listed anywhere in the manual’s MIDI section either.

Any ideas here?

Thanks!

-Rohde

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2008 @ 08:32 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: MIDI control of Performance Part Mute

Who makes the FCB1010? Perhaps they know.

CC messages will not allow you to address each PART of a PERFORMANCE individual as CC (Control Change) messages are always for the channel. All Parts of a Performance are on the same MIDI channel.

Program Change can work because you can make separate PERFORMANCES with different combinations of the PARTS you want to sound
So if you have Piano, Strings and Brass… you could set up a Performance that was just Piano and Strings (for Brass muted). You could setup another for Piano and Brass (for Strings muted) and so on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2008 @ 09:24 AM
rohdeww
Joined  07-23-2008

The FCB1010 is made by Behringer. But in the end, it only deals with Prog Chg and CC’s (and tap tempo, I think).

Thanks, I think you just verified what I suspected - not doable without some intervening device.

-Rohde

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2008 @ 02:45 PM
ike_ike
Joined  07-22-2008

Hi, I’m thinking of getting the same FCB1010 foot controller to control my rack.  how do I assign an individual voice to, say, the first pedal/bank, etc… What menu/options do I go to on the rack?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2008 @ 05:36 AM
rohdeww
Joined  07-23-2008

Most of the configuration is done on the FCB1010. You just have to enable the Rack to receive bank and PC switches via MIDI.

I’ve been able to accomplish the following with the FCB1010:

1) Select a particular Performance (Bank select MSB=63, LSB=64, PC=Performance#)
2) Sustain Pedal (CC#=64)
3) Expression Pedal as Modulation Wheel and Volume (CC#=1,7)

You can also set up specific alternate controllers for the pedals if the Performance uses them. On certain pads, I want to experiment with controlling resonance or tone instead of modulation).

The first thing that is necessary is to replace the factory ROM with the Uno ROM (Unofficial ROM - ~$10). This is mostly due to a problem in how the Behringer ROM handles merging MIDI data. Even the latest Behringer ROM will leave stuck notes on occassionally, but the Uno ROM does not have this problem.

There are two groups on yahoo groups to check out - FCB1010 and FCB1010 Uno. Quite a few MIDI masters monitor those groups, and better yet, there are quite a few FAQ’s and the like.

[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010]http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010 [/url]
[url=http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010_uno]http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/fcb1010_uno [/url]

There are also a couple of PC / Mac editors out there to create the configuration. The biggest hurdle is understanding what MIDI commands are required to accomplish something.

BTW, most support comes from user’s of the product rather than Behringer.

I hope that helps.

-Rohde

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ What to put rack on for gig?
Next Topic:

Questions from a recent buyer of the the ES Rack ››