mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "XS rack with Mac OS and Logic"

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 04:37 AM
DM_dream
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-19-2008

Hello,

I am very interested in getting the XS rack. I’ve done the research and understand how the editor/Studio manager works in stand alone mode. I have a G5 dual 2.5 GHz running Mac OS 10.4.11.

I’ve heard a few reports that the editor is slow in stand alone mode, (possibly just with Mac or possibly the processor speed - I can’t tell from the reports) and that it doesn’t play well with Logic. Can anyone tell me if these reports are true or not and if in fact it will work just fine with Mac and Logic. I would really appreciate it.

Regards,
DM

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 02:30 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: XS rack with Mac OS and Logic

Not sure what you mean by the “editor is slow in stand alone mode"… compared to what?

I guess it depends on what you are doing and what you get used to. If you are editing sounds the Editor is not slow. If you are bulking 384 sounds, and 32 Drum Kits and you don’t expect it to take some time, you might be a bit unreasonable.

There is very little need to ever be sending all 384 Voices to the Motif-Rack XS on an everyday basis - and certainly not for each Project. But you certainly can if you want to.

Mostly what you will be doing it using the more than 1100 built in Voices and loading in the occassional Voice library.

When you open the Editor in standalone, you can import new Libraries to the editor. Importing a Library into the Editor does not take a full second. Click and blink, the Library is in the Editor.

Now you can manage the sounds in that library - you can select which ones you want to send to your Rack XS or you can simply IMPORT the entire lot… but the key here is to use the proper function. Once you have the Library in the EDITOR… go to the BULK option on the main menu bar.

BULK > DATA SYNC…

Select Transmit and select the items you want to move your your Motif-Rack XS. You can send just the Current Mix (takes between 2 and 3 seconds) Sorry don’t have a stop watch. Global Parameters (Utility mode settings) about 1 second. You can send your Favorites list about 2 seconds.

It takes about 7 or 8 seconds to bulk a normal Bank of Voices
It takes about 30 seconds to send all three USER Voice banks and the User Drum Kits to the Motif Rack XS.

Or you can select ALL. which takes a total of about 34 or 35 seconds. Slow? I don’t think so.

Typically it is the “Current” mix - the one you used for the project. If however, you need to recall all 384 Voices and 32 Drum kits it does add an additional 30 seconds.

Those few reports you may have heard could simply be not having the Editor setup properly; or not understanding what they should be doing with it.

If you IMPORT a Library with the Motif-Rack XS ONLINE, the Voices are loaded not only to the Editor but are automatically loaded to the Rack XS itself. You have your choice.

I don’t have Logic any longer but there is no reason running Studio Manager and the Editor standalone would be any different for Logic than anything else.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 05:32 PM
DM_dream
Total Posts:  6
Joined  07-19-2008

Re: XS rack with Mac OS and Logic

Thank you. Yes, that was very helpful information!

Regards,
DM

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Voice Libraries and XS Rack
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››