mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New Project home workstation set up… please help"

Posted on: July 18, 2008 @ 10:06 PM
-|ScottFree|-
Total Posts:  21
Joined  07-17-2008

I have a Motif XS6 on its way as we speak, and being completely new to this I will be on a very steep learning curve for a while so please forgive my ignorance
My Equipment:

I have a decent high spec PC ( although havent chosen a sound card yet based on whats written below~)
Yamaha Motif XS6
Les Paul Guitar
M Audio Monitors/speakers
Shure SM58 Mic

My goal is to use Cubase as the sequencer. I would like be able to record sounds from the Motif, to record vocals and to record guitar parts. I want to be able to hear all of this through my monitors… I also want to be able to have the monitors play files that are on the PC… if I want to listen to some music etc..

Do I need an Audio Interface or a just a sound card or both. What the simplest way to achieve what I want so that the hardware and software play nicely together. Is it possible that someone could explain in simplistic terms how I would go about connecting this up…

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Scott

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2008 @ 11:25 PM
phreaque_modi
Total Posts:  679
Joined  02-12-2006

Re: New Project home workstation set up… please help

Hi Scot,

You’re on your wat to set up a home studio… So you need an audio interface and a decent one which offers midi ports, XLR inputs and phantom powered line ins because you want to connect your guitar and a mic..

You may check here to see the different types of audio interfaces…

Sincerely

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 08:45 PM
-|ScottFree|-
Joined  07-17-2008

Re: New Project home workstation set up… please

Thank you for your help phreaque!

I have just purchased an Audio Interface, the M Audio Fast Track Ultra. It seems to be perfect for what I require.

I have posted my first question on about 6 forums and you are the only one that has actually responded, so thanks again for that.

I have another few questions that would clear al lot up for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=....

Q.1

There are two USB connections on the back of the Motif..one is “Host” one is “To Device” Which one will be connected to the PC?

I know the audio interface is used to input the guitar and mic, it will also carry sound from the keyboard L+R 1/4” and output that sound to the monitors ( I hope thats right so far).

Q.2

Do I then just connect the Audio Interface to the PC via USB.

Whats confusing me is I was wondering whether I had to go from the Keyboard to Audio Interface to PC....

Im just a bit confused how Im going to configure and set up this little studio so that all the parts play nicely together…

There is a lot of conflicting information out there and as there are so many ways to go about setting a studio up I feel a bit lost..I just want to know how to connect it up :s

any help regarding this would be hugely appreciated!

Kindest Regards

Scott

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 09:09 PM
-|ScottFree|-
Joined  07-17-2008

I found this and it has cleared everything up!!

[url=http://www.tweakheadz.com/images/firepoddiagram-big-0dbd225b7d76ef201d698562a9cbd9b6.jpg]http://www.tweakheadz.com/images/firepoddiagram-big-0dbd225b7d76ef201d698562a9cbd9b6.jpg [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 09:26 PM
phreaque_modi
Joined  02-12-2006

Good, so you found the tweakheadz.com /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt= it’s one of the best PC music sources ever found with no doubt…

And congrats for the M-Audio Ultra fast track… BTW, how much does it cost you?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 10:26 PM
-|ScottFree|-
Joined  07-17-2008

Im from England

I paid £222 for it.... I think it will go nicely with my other toys!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 10:44 PM
phreaque_modi
Joined  02-12-2006

Welcome Scott!
The price here is 350 USD, and I’m not sure if I should get it or get the Tascam US144

Wish you all the best with your new setup..

Cheers

[ Ignore ]