mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Yamaha Hammond Clonewheel time?"

Posted on: July 14, 2008 @ 09:17 AM
JOEY66
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-09-2008

In that more and more manufacturers are bringing out Hammond clonewheels, is it about time (I think it is!!) that Yamaha brought out the ultimate, affordable, ‘lift’able, clonewheel that everybody wants?

I have the S90es and the XS6, but the hammond sounds are less than great. (To be polite). Out of all of the Clonewheels, I think that the NORD C1 combo is the best value and has the best Leslie Simulator on it. Here’s how I think Yamaha should do it:

DON’T have the Nord style drawbars, but put real style ones on.
IMPROVE on the poor leslie sim on that of the Hammond XK series. (By that I mean make sure it doesn’t sound anything like the XK leslie sim).
MAKE IT LIGHTWIEGHT!!!
HAVE upper and lower manual control over Tremolo (unlike the XK3)
MAKE it available as a single manual and a Dual manual. (Like the Diversi).
HAVE the swithces for perc, trem etc, exactly where us hammond players are used to having them (Like the Hamichord).
DON’T make it end up sounding like Native instruments B42. As far a soft plugin organs goes, VB3 is far better! Well worth a check out. AND IT’S ONLY 49 EUROS!!!!
THROW IN a batch of ES sounds, and soume panel memory buttons, some CCs, and a fast/slow switch.
UNLIKE the knew Hammonds, make a stand that looks good -unlike the NORD or the Hammond.
MAKE a module version for those who can’t carry and extra KBD, like the Roland VK8M. (Hammonds version of the Module requires two units. i.e. the drawbars and a 1u rack module. Similar is the VOCE V5. (You need the SPIN box for the leslie fx). The VK8M is the more sensible invention - but doesn’t sound that great.
MAKE IT AFFORDABLE!!

The hammond clones around at the moment, at least for me and every other musician I talk to, lack what we all really want, and that is the very closest thing yet to the real Hammond tonewheel.

I dare say this, that everyone who owns a Hammond XK3, XK3c or the older models, and those who are frustrated at the NORDs Drawbars and those who are ready to move on from the once great KORG CX3 & BX3, and those who can’t afford the Diversi or KEYB, and those who love yamaha gear, will rush to the shops to checkout a Yamaha clonewheel. My cash is waiting.

J66

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2008 @ 09:35 AM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

Re: Yamaha Hammond Clonewheel time?

What is the problem with the Nord “drawbars”. I’ve been planning on trying out an Electro II for a while now, but haven’t actually gotten around to it. Is the response to slow? Counter - intuitive? or??

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 14, 2008 @ 10:52 AM
JOEY66
Joined  07-09-2008

Re the NORD drawbars Bob, (or lack of them), they just can’t be ‘grabbed’ or ‘shoved’ back like the real thing. Placing your fingers on the tiny buttons isn’t the same as grabing a fistfull of hooklike drawbars. They are very responsive on the NORD however, to be fair, but just not ideal.

Care when buying the Electro as I bought one and it’s not exactly the same nor as good as the C1 organ, and it’s a daft shape!

I’m giving Clavia a hammering here, but remember that I still favour it right up there with the best.

J66

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 15, 2008 @ 03:51 AM
tmg1968
Joined  11-20-2004

I’m with you on this. Instead of yet another Motif retread, I’d love to see Yamaha get radical and make their version of the clonewheel organ. I think they’d sell like hotcakes just because it says “Yamaha” on it.

-Terry

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2008 @ 07:16 AM
hammonddave
Total Posts:  242
Joined  02-17-2004

I have been playing and performing on Hammond B3’s for over 40 years. I own three Hammond B3’s and have performed on most of the clones from VK7’s to my present Hammond XK3c System. The present choices of modern Hammond clones (C1, XK3c, Diversi, etc.) have reached a point where I challenge anyone to tell the difference from the real thing (in a live band setting). Plus the ergonomic layouts of the clones (Nord excepted) are very much like the classic Hammond consoles.

Leslie sims have improved greatly. The sim on my XK3c sounds fantastic through an amplified system. No sim will sound realistic compared to a real leslie in a room. But when you mike a Leslie its a completely different story.

I see no reason why Yamaha would get into this specialized area as it is already crowded with good products for a relatively few customers.

Finally, judging from the anemic Hammond samples and terrible Leslie sim on the Motif XS, Yamaha would start far behind Hammond, Nord, and Diversi.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 18, 2008 @ 09:24 PM
PeterS
Total Posts:  1291
Joined  09-12-2002

OR.... you could pick up a Hammond M3 like I did. They run average $300. If you want to lighten the load, it can be chopped. Granted there are a few drawbacks in comparison to the B3 as you loose about 1 1/2 octaves. And there is no foldback on the upper 3 or 4 drawbars which isn’t a problem for me as I don’t use them too often and even when I do I don’t go full out anyway. But you get a true Hammond tone generator, and the key action is the same as the B3, which I love. I can play faster with this key action than any other key action I’ve ever played.

And as far as a Leslie simulator, there’s nothing like the real thing baby!!!! I resurrected a 145 from my mom’s garage that sat for 35 years. It just needed a couple of diodes repaced which cost me $45. It screams. It even has all the original tubes. Geeez… I remember buying my first brand new 147 at Gracins Music on Long Island in 1970 for $419.  Can you believe it??

Pete

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 19, 2008 @ 03:33 PM
CesarSound
Total Posts:  572
Joined  12-25-2005

For me it would be great idea if Yammy could launch a CloneWheel. I should buy one too.

Meanwhile, I am enjoing my new CloneWheel. It is a Tokai TX5 Classic. It has 2 sets of drawbar, chorus, vibrato, key click, overdrive, reverb, Leslie Simm, percussion, waterfall keyboard, and it sounds very realistic, besides the cool look it has (as shown on below picture). It is projected and made in my country (Brazil).

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/473/1002079bhq7.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 08:17 AM
JOEY66
Joined  07-09-2008

Question for you Hammonddave :
I tried the XK3, but didn’t like the leslie sim. Is there a difference between the XK3 and the XK3c’s leslie sim? I really like the look of the XK3c but have held out buying one because of the XK3. If it’s anything like that and not as good as the siom on the NORD, then I’ll keep my money.

Sorry to Yamaha, this has nothing to do with your products, but maybe it should be!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 21, 2008 @ 08:23 AM
hammonddave
Total Posts:  242
Joined  02-17-2004

The Leslie Sim on the XK3C is light years better than the original. Check out this link to hear it:

[url=http://hammondorganco.com/xk3video.htm]http://hammondorganco.com/xk3video.htm [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 24, 2008 @ 07:27 PM
Funkster
Total Posts:  449
Joined  07-20-2008

Why don’t we just ask Yamaha to improve the Leslie and distortions etc on the XS while we’re at it?

Also why not have a clone wheel mode for the XS?

Meantime, can some explain how to get the closest approximation to a clonewheel on the XS and what sliders would do what?

I just got my XS today..... I don’t think the organs are terrible but they could be improved a bit.

What I’d like to know is if I find registrations written down, how I can easily get that using sliders etc on whichever patch makes the most sense....

Funkster

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 25, 2008 @ 09:45 AM
ksounds
Total Posts:  670
Joined  05-06-2004

What you describe is largely what Organimation XS is about - improved Leslie sim, lots of different drawbar settings, and simultaneous availability of 8 drawbars, percussion, chorus, and overdrive.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 08:41 PM
raffello
Total Posts:  1
Joined  10-10-2007

o yes the Tokai TX-5 Classic is the one for me, it’s ballsy sound and amazing Leslie simulation will rival any Hammond or Diversi clone!

I saw Joey DeFrancesco play one at NAMM and even he seemed to love it’s sound as he came to play it twice in one day,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 03:53 PM
CesarSound
Total Posts:  572
Joined  12-25-2005

Did you see Joey DeFrancesco playing the Tokai TX-5 Classic?

wow! please give me more details, links or pictures about it.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Loading in Pulse without losing anything else?
Next Topic:

Bass Voice Live ››