mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Change of heart ? Need Arp help."

Posted on: July 13, 2008 @ 04:12 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

I have spent some more time playing with the Rack XS this weekend. I have about a week left before I need to decide. Those great sounds really work great for me - just love them. And it probably will be a grand less than the S90XS keyboard - whenever that comes out, and 50 pounds lighter to boot. Trying to make sure I can live with the limitations. A $1,000 is a lot of money. For this I can learn to juggle a few things.

Problem: How to control the arps. I have looked over the data lists for my ES and the rack and got a headache trying to make this work. Anyone have any luck with using a controller knob?

Otherwise I think I have it figured out pretty well now and can run the Rack and my Motif ES from the P90 and get good results. The Yamaha Editor software is not too friendly for this old guy, and it’s slow. Most of what I want to do can be done directly from the hardware, so this is a good thing. Wondering if John Meleas’ librarian and multi editor will be developed for the Rack XS? His Motif ES stuff is much easier for me to use, and the Librarian would be a god-send to simplify moving what you use to the front of the list.

Any clues on the arp control using the Motif ES KN1 knob would be much appreciated. I am using Master Mode on the ES and have set the knobs to send an 85, with the Rack set for Direct control. No joy yet.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2008 @ 06:52 PM
keytarhero
Total Posts:  305
Joined  07-03-2008

Re: Change of heart ? Need Arp help.

Hmmm...if you have the Motif ES knob set to send 85, then it should work...?

I have done just the same from my Korg Prophecy and had it work.
The only problem I am having is justifying where at in the knob orientation it triggers the arp I want.  Seems like it would help to have a knob in this situation that changes parameters on a “click.” (much like the rack’s knobs).

I also suppose that once it’s all figured out, it’d be a good idea to keep arpeggios for Multis I write in sequence for how I should use them in the song.

Anyways, sorry I couldn’t answer your question.  It sounds like you’re on the right path...maybe just revisit your midi settings on the keyboard and rack and make sure you didn’t overlook something.
Otherwise, just wait for someone a bit more knowledgable to respond haha.

Goodluck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2008 @ 07:00 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

My guess (and it can only be a guess based on the information you have given) is that you did not make the S90 ES Master mode Sliders control the ZONE… It is not sufficient to assign a Slider to send cc085, you must set the S90 ES MASTER program so that the Slider is following the commands you set up in the ZONE setup.

In MASTER/ [EDIT]/ [COMMON]/ [F2] OTHER you can set up how the Control Sliders behave per Master setup. You can select between PAN, TONE, ASSIGN, MASTER EQ, and VOLUME, and if the ZONE SWITCH is ON, “ZONE”

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/410614-Zone.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2008 @ 07:55 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Thanks, Phil.

I have a Motif ES - not the S90ES. The Zone switch for the Master was on, but I had the Knobs set to Assign - not Zone. Changing them to Zone fixed it!  Did not like the knob, so I set up the CS1 slider to control the Arps. Seems to work pretty well. Page 140 in the Motif ES manual if anyone else has the problem.

Many thanks!!

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ midi control of multis
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››