mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "midi control of multis"

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 09:14 AM
alan_sb
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-05-2008

Hi -

I’m evaluating using an XS Rack with midi controller keyboard(s) as an alternative to gigging with my S90ES. One feature I use pretty often in the S90ES is track muting to add/remove sounds from a layer during performance. I’m already thinking about alternate approaches, but I’m curious: is there a midi control parameter that would accomplish this with the XS Rack from an external controller? Part volume wouldn’t do it; I’d want the volume of the part to be constant while switching it on and off.

Also, is there a way to increment/decrement multi rather than bank select by number?

Finally (for now), any experience with the various keyboard controllers as far as midi mapping to XS/Motif/Yamaha in general?  I don’t mind diving into configuring a controller to meet my needs; but an “XS Rack Template” wouldn’t break my heart.

Thanks!

-Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2008 @ 08:45 AM
alan_sb
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-05-2008

Re: midi control of multis

In case others are interested, there seems to be a pretty relevant clue for my main question on the ES Rack forum here.

-Alan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 13, 2008 @ 12:09 PM
pianokim
Total Posts:  810
Joined  02-09-2003

Re: midi control of multis

The Motif XS Rack doesn’t respond to Bank Select to change Multis.
For live use you’ll have to manually select Multis on the rack itself, or use one of the very few Controller Keyboards ( not any current ones to my knowledge ) that will generate SysX. This is the main reason why the Multi mode is not a good replacement for Performance mode.

Even on the keyboard versions and the older racks that do have a Performance mode you can’t select Performance with Bank Select messages but again have to use SysX. Not a very well thought out design ( try sitting on a dark stage and have to figure out which double button pushes you have to do to get where you want to go ).
Most manufacturers will let you access the different modes via MSB/LSB - since just about anything can generate this. Extensive SysEx messages are rare in controller keyboards.

-Kim

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ digital output
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››