mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "chord recognition"

Posted on: July 09, 2008 @ 11:05 PM
keytarhero
Total Posts:  305
Joined  07-03-2008

I seem to have trouble sometimes with the chord recognition in Multi Mode.  This seems to happen usually when I’m on the left side of the board—playing a scale downwards.  (This is typically on a patch where “part 4” can be heard and played on the entire board...this is also with parts 1-4 layered).  Let’s say I end on F and the arpeggios playing are totally off (as if unregistered?) I continue to play only the F note and can clearly hear the note coming through for that particular instrument, however, it does not register to the chord recognition and is still dissonant.  I’ll play a few notes above and come back down to F and it then registers.  I’m not exactly sure of the architecture and how the chord recognition works, but I’m confused why it does this...any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2008 @ 10:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: chord recognition

Actually, you’ll probably have to be specific. Each Performance is different and is mapped differently. There is nothing to prevent a Performance Layer from being setup with one sound across the entire keyboard while others use chord recognition to do what they do in just a certain region… In this it is not at all like an arranger (many threads on that - although some refuse to see this subtle point)…

You may want to take a look at the WEB VIDEOs page (for the XS keyboard) select Motif XS and see the tiem called ‘Motif XS MASTER CLASS PREVIEW’ where I go over a particular PERFORMANCE that is just like that.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2008 @ 09:57 PM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008

Thanks.
I checked out the video, and I must say, that’s a pretty sweet riff!

So the problem I’m having is with a few Multis, but one in particular is called “Jack Does it Again.” It is 68 in the Preset 2 Multi bank.  I have written it into my user bank on the rack unit.

This is one of those Multis when I play keys on the left the “Natural Wurli” will sound and be followed by the 3 arpeggios.  This sounds really cool!  I’ve noticed that if I play the keys slow, even going down a half step each note, the arpeggios will have no problem following.  However, if I play the notes a bit faster (not necessarily half steps, and let’s say the last two notes of that riff end with F# then F) — the arpeggios won’t always follow.  It ends up making it sound as if I’m playing an unintended note.  So now that I’m on F, I can continue to hit that key (the Wurli F note sounds), but the arpeggios which once changed note per note, now won’t budge.  I have to play another key and come back to the F and then the arpeggios fit.  It could be that I’m sliding from one note to the next and the arpeggiator doesn’t like that?

I’m not sure what is causing this, but if you have any ideas, or if you could try it out—I would greatly appreciate it =)

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 11:13 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Let me describe what is going on in this particular program.

PART 1 = Dry Standard Kit (Drums)
PART 2 = Mega Finger + Slap (Bass)
PART 3 = Mega 60s Tremolo (E Gutiar)
PART 4 = Natural Wurli (E Piano)

There are two split points that are in affect per sound:
One determines the notes that sound. This is the split point we probably all know best. It simply determines what notes will sound in response to note-on events.

The other split point determines the notes that will trigger arpeggio data to do its thing. Play outside this note region and you will not have an affect on the resulting arpeggio data.

STOP think about that for a minute. One is what sounds and the other is what can cause the arp to send note data.

All four PARTS are mapped so they sound across the keyboard. Meaning without the arpeggio ON, all four Voices will play normally, no matter what key you press.

However, when the arpeggio is ON, then the Bass, the E Guitar and E Piano will only trigger the arpeggio if you play a note below F#2.
The Drums will only trigger when you play a note below C2.

This means when you first call up the program playing middle C and above will play the Wurli and nothing else.
As soon as you strike a note below B2 the Drums will start, any note below F#2 and the Bass, Guitar, and E Piano arps will start.

All the ARPs are set to HOLD = ON so once they begin they will continue.

The E Piano (is a bit different from the others) because it is set to a special arpeggio KEY MODE called “sort+direct”. This is a special mode that allow both the “direct” notes you play and the data sorted by arpeggio to be heard. The other PARTS are set to KEY MODE called “sort” which prevents your direct trigger notes from sounding and only allows the PART to follow the arp generated notes.

In the screen shot below you can see that the Natural Wurli PART (4) is ARPEGGIO Note Limited to C-2 through F#2 and the KEY MODE = sort+direct

Select the other PARTS and compare the assignments.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/410285-ArpNoteLmt.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 01:44 PM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008

Thank you for the thorough response.
Perhaps I was unclear on what my problem is.
I do understand how the part mapping works.  The places where I speak of playing are on the left side of the keyboard where the Wurli plays, but also the arpeggio is triggered.  What my problem is is that I enjoy playing Multis such as this where I can play part 4 (or any part for that matter) across the entire board.  However, my problem is that the arpeggios don’t always trigger (causing dissonance) and it becomes quite annoying to the point that I wonder if something is wrong with my unit.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2008 @ 08:36 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I thought I explained that - let’s both reread what I wrote… I think I explain what is going on.

You simply need to change the ARP Split point for the Wurli part. Dissonace (as you call it) is caused by playing outside the region of the arpeggio… if you are expecting the bass line to change by playing a note north of F#2… this can take some getting used to… what key are you playing in? Adjust your arpeggio split points to better serve you.

Try turning the arp off on the Wurli altogether… and see about controlling the bass line without the wurli doing chords… Let us know.

Trust me nothing is wrong with your XS… I’ve observed literally scores of keyboard players getting used to working with PERFORMANCES on the keyboard version… it takes a minute. But you must be aware that there are these two different split points - I cannot stress that enough.

I know everyone knows about split points - but the arpeggio split points may be something new for many.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2008 @ 09:30 PM
keytarhero
Joined  07-03-2008

ok.
so in other words, even though the Wurli is setup to play across the entire board, it is not intended to be played in the arpeggio region in a solo form (i.e. notes followed by one another too quickly)?

I’m sorry if I’m so confusing.
This is the way I want it...just how everything is mapped.
I just think it sounds cool to have a “one-note” Wurli played low and followed by a “band.”

Everything I am speaking about above is ALL taking place within the arp side of the split point.  All the notes are being played where the arp should be triggered.  However, it doesn’t always trigger, thus leaving me hearing the Wurli notes conflict with the arpeggio that will not trigger in the arp trigger section. 

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Bank/Part Wrap
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››