mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "FC3 Pedal Question…"

Posted on: July 08, 2008 @ 01:32 PM
Spiderfingers
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-05-2006

Okay, I just sold my old S90 and upgraded to an ES. So basically, I guess you could consider me a newbie when it comes to my new board. B^ )

Well, when I purchased my new ES I also bought an FC3 pedal. My problem is, when I plug the pedal into the SUSTAIN jack in the back of my board, I get nothing… no sustain, no anything??

I’ve been perusing the Owner’s Manual for as to why I’m getting zero sustain; but unfortunately have not yet found the answer to my question.

So, could someone PLEASE tell me what I need to tweek/change/program on my ES in order to get my new pedal to hold a note longer than a half a second? =^ )

Thanks so much!

Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2008 @ 01:48 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

Re: FC3 Pedal Question...

The FC3 is designed for the S90ES and the XS because of a
special function I am not familiar with (half damper).

So it won’t work.

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 08, 2008 @ 01:56 PM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

See the end of this thread:

[url=http://www.motifator.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1]http://www.motifator.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1 [/url],2,4&Board=Programming&Number=357513&Forum=All_Forums&Words=fc3&Match=OR&Searchpage=2&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=357436&Search=true#Post357513

(a bit long url, copy and paste to your browser)
;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2008 @ 10:18 AM
Spiderfingers
Joined  01-05-2006

Hey Joop,

Thanks for the insight. After checking out that thread, the FC3 and FC7 tutorial video, and reading Phil’s last post, I’m assuming that the FC3 pedal WILL in fact work for my S90 ES?

Bad_Mister: “Here is the one that WILL NOT work… the fc3 sustain pedal Notice the wide look and Tip-Ring-Sleeve connector… this is only for P-series pianos, CP pianos, Motif XS and S90 ES.

So… back to square one again. =^ )

Does anyone know how to program the sustain on this thing?

Thanks again, Joop!

Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2008 @ 10:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Make sure your plugged into the Sustain jack
Make sure your S90 ES is set to FC3(Half On) mode
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTRL ASN (Controller Assign)
Press [SF3] FT SW (Foot Switch)
Set SusPedal to FC3 HalfOn = ON
Press [STORE] to write your settings to Flash ROM

And of course, it depends on the AEG (Amplitude Envelope Generator) settings of the specific Voice you are trying to sustain.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 09, 2008 @ 05:33 PM
Daniel Drummond
Total Posts:  16
Joined  11-07-2007

I’m trying to find a FC3 to buy here in Brazil but it seems that absolutely no stores (online or not) have them available. Many of them have the Roland DP8 though, which is also a continuous controller sustain pedal. Will it work?

I tried to buy from the US but most stores won’t ship to Brazil as there is an oficial Yamaha dealer here. The Brazilian dealer should be able to have FC3s to sell but they don’t have… The BC-3 is also not available by the way…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2008 @ 11:08 AM
Spiderfingers
Joined  01-05-2006

- Plugged into the Sustain jack… check.

- Have the SusPedal set to FC3 (Half On)… check.

(I also have the FSAssign set at 64 [Sustain] - don’t know if that makes any difference or not?)

- Pressed [STORE]… check.

- Sustain now up and working… ... uncheck. =^ )

After I stored my setting to the Flash ROM I then pressed [VOICE], [EDIT], and then [F4] to get me into the Amplitude settings.  Well, everything shown on the display: ElementSw, Source, Dest, Depth, Set 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, etc… looks like Sanskrit to me and I honestly haven’t a clue on what - if anything, I need to change to the AEG in order to get the pedal’s sustain to function properly?

Sorry to be a pain in the you-know-what Phil; but do you happen to have any more useful insight that you could maybe throw my way regarding this post?

Thanks as always!

Andy

PS: Hey Daniel… if I don’t get this pedal up and running here soon, I’ll just make you a ‘Buy It Now’ offer and have her delivered directly to your doorstep in Brazil. :^ )

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2008 @ 02:03 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I also have the FSAssign set at 64 [Sustain] - don’t know if that makes any difference or not?

Don’t do that. The Assignable FS is an entirely different jack.

You may just have a faulty pedal - what does it do?  The sustain pedal should actually just work without you having to do anything - so stop making yourself crazy it is like the power switch.. you simply plug the unit in and turn it on.

There is nothing extraordinary about the Sustain pedal.

I would reset the S90 ES if it still does not work… return the FC3 to your dealer for a new one. Save any data you have created - as a Factory reset will return the unit to out of the box condition.

Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Press ENTER]
Press [YES]

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 10, 2008 @ 02:42 PM
Spiderfingers
Joined  01-05-2006

Hey Phil,

Here’s exactly what the pedal’s doing:

If I have the FC3 plugged into the back of my synth with the board turned off, and I then turn the power on… I get zero sustain when I hit any of the 88 keys while pressing the pedal down.

Now, if I have my old FC4 pedal plugged into the back of my synth with the board already turned ON, and I then disconnect the FC4 and plug in the FC3, I then proceed to hit a note and it automatically sustains whatever note I’m hitting WITHOUT me even holding the pedal down? It’s like the note just gets stuck?? I then have to click or jump over to another voice for the note to stop sustaining.

The faulty pedal thing did actually cross my mind? But I was kind of trying to give Yamaha the benefit of the doubt before coming to that final conclusion.
LOL
/forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 05:09 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t understand the thought process behind that last experiment… there is a parameter (which I think you must deal with and ignoring it may also be influencing the results you are getting).

So before you go concluding anything to the best of your ability set the SusPedal parameter for the pedal you are using. 

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/410220-SusPedal.JPG

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 10:09 AM
Spiderfingers
Joined  01-05-2006

In all honesty, that last experiment was just one more mundane thing in my attempt to try and get the pedal working.

However, I guess that’s the question I should’ve posted from the very beginning:

Q: Like the FC4 pedal, should the FC3 automatically sustain when plugged directly into the S90 ES? That is, automatically sustain while being pressed down WITHOUT having to adjust or tweek a single thing on the board?

If the answer to my question is “Yes” - then I guess I did in fact receive a defective pedal.

I really do appreciate your time and patience with this, and also wish you a great weekend!

-Andy

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 11:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I don’t have an S90 ES here, so I cannot check which way it defaults. But when you want to use the FC3 you must set the parameter to one of the two settings for the FC3…
_ One setting is for using the half damper functions: FC3(Half On);
_ The other setting is for using the FC3 pedal without the half damper functions; FC3(Half Off).

If you are going to use an FC4 or an FC5 you must set the parameter to the one setting: FC4/5

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 11, 2008 @ 12:37 PM
Spiderfingers
Joined  01-05-2006

Thanks again for all of your help Phil.

I’m going to tinker around with it just a little bit more over the weekend and if worse comes to worse, I’ll just return the pedal for a new one.

But hey… at least right now I still have my trusty ol’ FC4 to sustain all of my sustaining needs, right?
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 12, 2008 @ 08:59 PM
Daniel Drummond
Total Posts:  16
Joined  11-07-2007

I want one…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 23, 2008 @ 01:24 PM
prokeysman
Total Posts:  101
Joined  02-05-2007

The S90ES defaults to using the FC3 so there must be something wrong with the pedal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 28, 2008 @ 07:05 AM
rkenji
Joined  07-28-2008

daniel,

sou novo aki e estou procurando contatos para trocar informacoes sobre o S90-ES que adquiri recentemente. caso tenha interesse segue meu email

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Total n00b control assigning questions.
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››