mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "switching between performance variations"

Posted on: July 01, 2008 @ 03:43 AM
kdorenkamp@web.de
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-01-2008

Hi there!

I found it quite impressive to switch between different variations of a performance (arpeggiator changes) on the motif xs keyboard like you do on an arranger keyboard. Is there a possibility to do this with the rack version too?

Many thanks for any hint.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2008 @ 04:35 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: switching between performance variations

Yes. Here’s how:

The Motif-Rack XS has a “ARP 1-5 Control No.” parameter - you can select a control change number to send commands to the arpeggio selection.
The default is cc085 (you can set it to any control change number, however).

You can set this to function in one of two ways by setting the “ARP ASSIGN MODE”:
INC (increment) - anytime a value of cc085 is received it will advance to the next ARP 1 through 5. The INC setting would be convenient if your controller has a programmable button… each press would advance you to the next arpeggio
DIRECT - when a cc085 message is received the arpeggio will switch to a specific arp according to the value of the message.
001-025 will select ARP 1
026-050 will select ARP 2
051-076 will select ARP 3
077-101 will select ARP 4
102-127 will select ARP 5
This setting will be convenient if your controller has a programmable knob or wheel (continuous) or even to a sweep pedal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2008 @ 09:41 AM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Bad Mister,

What would you use for real time control of the Arps on the Rack XS if your controller is a Motif ES, that is split into three zones under Master Mode operation? One for the ES itself, one for selecting different Bank MSB/LSB and Program Change on an external keyboard using unique keyboard ranges on the ES, while the third will be used to change MSB/LSB on the Motif Rack XS, probably with at least a few of them selecting a unique keyboard range on the ES as well.  All will be in use pretty much at the same time.

Adding a third item to the midi chain like this is new territory for me, so I wonder how you would recommend that connection as well. That is, two external tone generators, each running from the Motif ES as the controller. I would want each one to respond to Bank MSB/LSB, PC and ARP control on the Rack XS. Each external item has midi in and out.

Thanks again,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2008 @ 04:55 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I wish I could follow that question. It is simply not clear to me what you are asking.

The first part I think I understand - you want to change ARPS on the Motif-Rack XS from the ES. What controller you use will be a function of what you need to accomplish and what controller you are comfortable with.

If you are stepping through the arps 1 through 5 then you could set the FS to send cc085 and set the Motif-Rack XS to INC - each time you tapped the switch it would advance to the next arp.

You could set a ZONE CS or Knob to send cc085 if you want to work with the DIRECT mode. The way it works on a knob is pretty easy to master (although it takes a little practice):

A typical knob turns from 7 o’clock through 5 o’clock if you think about an analog clock face.

From 7 o’clck to 9 o’clock is ARP 1
From 9 - 11 is ARP 2
From 11-1 is ARP 3
From 1-3 is ARP 4
From 3-5 is ARP 5

The rest of your question I’m not sure what you are referring to… ???

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: July 01, 2008 @ 07:17 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

Thanks for trying to figure out my foggy-bottom question. You did great on the one you answered!  This will be one of those things I can probably figure out once I have the hardware in front of me.

Thanks again,

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Summer NAMM Demos of VSTi editor
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››